Tennis anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Tennis anyone?

Isner gave Nadal everything he had but came up short, 6-4 in the 5th. Best match so far.

Comment

That's not a very good sign for Nadal.

I'm very interested to see how far Djokovic can take this streak. Talk about peaking at the right time. Logic would dictate somebody will knock him off eventually, but he's playing great while the entirety of the men's field seems to be down right now.
      Originally posted by dicaslover
      Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

Originally posted by Kristin
      Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Western College Hockey Blog

Comment

For some reason I found it hard to get excited by the French Open. Maybe because US players seldom do well. Isner played well, but not quite good enough.
        GO DU !!!

Comment

Originally posted by vizoroo View Post
          For some reason I found it hard to get excited by the French Open. Maybe because US players seldom do well. Isner played well, but not quite good enough.
          There are no seeded US Women in the field, and the only seeded US Man is #10 Fish. ESPN better hope for some compelling stories and big names (how much would they love Sharapova to make a run?) because the American contingent will be warming up for Wimbledon by this weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
            There are no seeded US Women in the field
            Given where she lives and trains, I'd say Sharapova should count as an American.

Comment

My apologies to Sam Querry...the American is ranked #24M, so he is also ranked.

But he lost today anyway, so Fish is now the only American male still alive in the draw.

There are two American women in the draw but their next matches are against the #9 and #10 seeds, so that should be that. Fish plays a Frenchman in the 3rd round and if he wins he gets Nadal. Wimbledon, here we come!

What the hell happened to Kim Clijsters? She had two match points and led 5-1 in the second set on her way to advancing and then she hit a wall and ended up losing. Absolutely bizarre.

Meanwhile Maria looked to be out of it down a set and two breaks against Garcia and then never lost another game winning 6-0 in the third. The draw is now open for Maria and she shouldn't face a stiff challenge until a potential quarter vs #6 Li Na. With Clijsters out, it's pretty much anyone's to win.

Edit: Watching the Sharapova replay on ESPN2 and Garcia was about to get her second break to go up 4-1 and Shriver said she was the now a threat to win the title and Andy Murray tweeted that she was on her way to #1 in the world...then she lost the final 10 games of the match.
              Last edited by Priceless; 05-26-2011, 04:14 PM.

Comment

Monfils and Ferrer are in a fifth set of a very entertaining match. Monfils is up a break right now, 4-2.

The women's draw has gotten . . . interesting. Could Schiavone actually pull this off again?

Comment

Originally posted by Jason A View Post
                  Could Schiavone actually pull this off again?
                  I hope not. There's already been far too much of that dog-faced woman on my 60" HD screen.

Comment

Djokovich just did something unheard of at this level.

Down a set and a break, he had break point to get back on serve in the second set. Federer served what appeared to be an ace but the ball was called out. Novak went to where the ball landed, pointed to the mark and told the chair umpire it was good. That made it deuce and two points later Federer won the game and the set to go up two sets to love. If he'd kept his mouth shut, he'd have a second serve at break point.

He may lose the match but he won a lot of fans today.

Comment

Djokovich just did something unheard of at this level.

Down a set and a break, he had break point to get back on serve in the second set. Federer served what appeared to be an ace but the ball was called out. Novak went to where the ball landed, pointed to the mark and told the chair umpire it was good. That made it deuce and two points later Federer won the game and the set to go up two sets to love. If he'd kept his mouth shut, he'd have a second serve at break point.

He may lose the match but he won a lot of fans today.
                      Very classy move.

Comment

If you aren't already watching, this match has turned into an epic. Live on NBC.

Comment

Novak was serving for the 4th set but couldn't close the deal. Federer rallies from 4-5 down to win in a tiebreak, 7-5. Epic match.

Comment

Novak was serving for the 4th set but couldn't close the deal. Federer rallies from 4-5 down to win in a tiebreak, 7-5. Epic match.
                            I believe he lost the match when he lost the first set. When he followed that up by losing the 2nd, he basically put himself in an impossible position. I wonder if winning the quarterfinal in a walkover ****ed him up.

Comment

Federer up 5-2 in the first and gags the next 5 games away. This one might go quick now.
                              FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

The second set surely has been strange. Nadal up a break early, Federer rallied to tie it at 4-all only to be broken immediately after, and then he broke Nadal after a 5 minute rain delay and now leads the set 6-5.

...and of course, Nadal held serve easily to force a tie-breaker, and Federer played one of the worst tie-breakers I've ever seen - drilling a weak 80-something mph second serve into the net and failing big-time on an overhand at the net.

Looks like this one won't go more than three sets - Federer is probably emotionally down/dead after screwing up royally with late leads in both sets.
                                Last edited by Bakunin; 06-05-2011, 10:42 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X