Tennis anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tennis anyone?

The 2010 tennis season kicks into high gear with the Aussie Open over the next fortnight. ESPN will have coverage, and for those with DirecTV there is bonus coverage on channels 701-707. The big match right now is Maria Sharapova serving at 5-6 in the first set.

Re: Tennis anyone?

Maria was up 4-2 in the tiebreak and lost the final 5 points to lose the first set to Kirilenko.

Upcoming on the bonus channels are Roddick, Del Potro, Murray, Clijsters, Henin and Dementieva.

Comment

The last game was won by Sharapova after almost 18 minutes. There were 10 deuce points and an amazing 643 ground strokes. Sharapova is now serving up 2-0 in the 2nd.

Comment

This could be one of the more exciting Grand Slams in the last few years. I don't see a favorite on the men's side, and with Henin and Clijsters back, the women's draw is a crapshoot. Should be some great matchups.

Comment

Sharapova finally wins the second set, 6-3. This has been a marathon, as they've already been playing for close to 2 1/2 hours. The first set was 74 minutes, the second was 73. It's 91-86 in favor of Sharapova as we begin the third set.

The people waiting for the next session at Rod Laver Arena are going to be there awhile...

Comment

These players are taking FOREVER between points. Pam Shriver has been critical and she's right.

Sharapova is one game away from a first-round exit.

Comment

Originally posted by Jason A View Post
              These players are taking FOREVER between points. Pam Shriver has been critical and she's right.

Sharapova is one game away from a first-round exit.
              Is this match on ESPN? I haven't watched because it's on the bonus channel, and there are very few commercials. The crossovers are filled with statistics and analysis from the announcers.

Comment

Kirilenko is way too nervous. Sharapova really should win this now.
                Edit: Unless she gives it away.
                Last edited by Priceless; 01-17-2010, 09:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                  Is this match on ESPN? I haven't watched because it's on the bonus channel, and there are very few commercials. The crossovers are filled with statistics and analysis from the announcers.
                  Its on the Deuce. They had Roddick's match on earlier, but switched back to this one.

Sherapova is going to make it interesting, anyways.

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyplayer1015 View Post
                    Its on the Deuce. They had Roddick's match on earlier, but switched back to this one.

Sherapova is going to make it interesting, anyways.
                    Yeah, I see the Roddick match is in a rain delay. Is Brooklyn there? That would make his match much better viewing

Comment

Sherapova ends up losing in 3 sets. Match took 3h22m, 11 minutes shy of the record.

Comment

Haven't really gone outta my way to watch tennis since the golden age of Agassi and Sampras. Not that their retirements were the reason for this, that's just the way the cookie crumbled.

Now, if a Daniella Hutchinova match is televised, someone let me know!
                        PAUL THOMPSON FOR HOBEY!www.thompsonforhobey.com

Vote for Hope and Change in 2010!

Comment

I'm interested to see how 17 year old American Ryan Harrison does in his first career grand slam. I wasn't aware of this, but apparently the USTA trades one wildcard spot at the US Open to Tennis Australia for one wildcard spot at the Aussie Open, and Harrison won an 8-person tournament for the USTA's wildcard spot.

Donald Young lost in that tournament for a wildcard spot, but made it through qualifying, and apparently Rajeev Ram was ranked high enough to make it straight into the main draw. They'll probably get pasted tomorrow or in the second round, but it's cool to see them playing in Grand Slams.

Kevin Anderson who played at Illinois got smoked by Andy Murray in the first round today after making it through qualifying. I saw Anderson take apart some really good Big Ten players. It's almost disgusting how good some of these guys are to beat someone that good that badly.
                          Originally posted by dicaslover
                          Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

Originally posted by Kristin
                          Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Western College Hockey Blog

Comment

ESPN360 might be the best invention ever as I can now watch the Aussie Open at work. Going to be fantastic. I need it to not be winter in New England. Got a really strong itch to get back on the court after a two year layoff.

Comment

Both #1 seeds are on channel 703 tonight. Serena at about 9:20 ET and Roger at about 11:35. Venus is on channel 704 at 3:50; Ana Ivanovic (She's down to 20th?!) is on channel 705 at 7PM; US Open star Melanie Oudin is on channel 707 at 6:15AM.

Coverage also resumes on ESPN2 at 9PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X