This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
    Several posters have taken that incorrect line of thinking. They're wrong, but fail to comprehend that they are.
    Hopefully this weekend does Scooby, Maize Rage, and others some good. May their teams win and they spend some time outdoors getting fresh air or whatever else relaxes them. Holding on to so much anger and bitterness over something that is out of their control is not good for them.
    Originally posted by BobbyBrady
    Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

• Re: Campaign XXVI: The Drumpf World Order

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
      Oh, really? You should see my opinion on Nader voters.
      Ooh! Ooh! Can I guess!
      The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
        Hopefully this weekend does Scooby, Maize Rage, and others some good. May their teams win and they spend some time outdoors getting fresh air or whatever else relaxes them. Holding on to so much anger and bitterness over something that is out of their control is not good for them.
        Is that before or after my parents medical insurance is gutted?
        **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
        Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/1...ul-ryan-231216

There's the GOP saying leave the policy to Paul Ryan.

So awesome. It's like half the country had no ****ing clue what they were doing on Tuesday. It's beyond fantastic.
          They got what they wanted. The GOP is laughing their butt off cause Trump wont prevent them from doing anything. Unfettered control...they did so well with it last time
          "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
          -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
          -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
          -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Hillary's lead now up to 395k. Yay electoral college.
            Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Growing up in Trump Town
              The globalization of markets in the 1990s and the absence of care for our 50 public education systems ensured that droves of uneducated people in small factory and farm towns spread across the entirety of the nation would become uneducated people in small towns without steady work. Public education reform mostly doesn’t come at the federal level and electing a new president won’t spark it; due to our individualized school systems, it comes at the state level. North Carolina, now able to begin recovering from Pat McCrory setting us back 20 years on the social timeline, ranks 47th in average teacher pay; Florida got its convoluted system from a **** Jeb Bush napkin doodle; Louisiana can’t find a penny for its K-12 system. Anyone who expected these communities to spontaneously become educated might be more foolish than the Trump voters.

These towns, these churches, and these people, are not all looking to have a logical discussion with you about how wrong they are about abortions and gay rights. They’re struggling to find consistent work, still behind in obtaining secondary education and thus catching up with the progressive wave, and have now, in response to feeling threatened and forgotten, elected one of the most horrifying candidates in American presidential history as their response. The “coastal elites” that originated from these places knew years ago that we lived in towns capable of picking such a candidate; now, everyone knows how that feels. Welcome to Trump Town.
              Good article but, as with anything on Deadspin, the comments are good as well:
              At the root of your story and at the root of all stories of crumbling small towns in rural America is education. And here’s the thing about that (which you acknowledged above): people in these communities have acted and voted against their best interests and against increasing access to, and money for, education.

As has been said before: it’s difficult to feel bad for people who actively vote against their self-interests. Though it’s easy to see their motivations, when these communities blame others for their losses (be it immigrants or African Americans or politicians), it’s impossible to empathize. Because when other disenfranchised groups complain (about systemic racism and other disenfranchisement), those valid complaints go completely unrecognized and unacknowledged by white rural Americans who have been perpetuating those iniquities.

Which leads me back to education. It’s hard to see this with any logic without familiarity with, well, logic. Though I can see how the church and groupthink actively work to befuddle, all it takes is a few people applying reason (and education - it helps to see the ways in which history repeats itself) to realize that the sentient cheeto dust bumbling his way into county’s the highest office isn’t going to help your community into prosperity.
              And therein lies the problem with "Dems need to court these people!" The only thing you can tell them is the truth, their factories/mills/mines aren't coming back, we can provide jobs in massive public works projects on our infrastructure, no African-Americans nor Hispanics nor "the Gays" are to blame for your troubles. Like has been stated, yeah the Dems can help them and are willing to listen, but they need to recognize the world has changed and we can't go back.
              U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
              Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
              I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
              But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
              Originally posted by Doyle Woody
              Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

The electoral college didn't cause this. It is not the problem. There's also a very good reason for it.
                Code:
                As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                Originally posted by SanTropez
                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                Originally posted by Kepler
                When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
                  Hillary's lead now up to 395k. Yay electoral college.
                  I hear ya but that's not exactly a huge margin of victory.

Comment

Hey Scooby did you hear about St. Thomas. Someone used the N-word in graffiti :/ (they had protests today)

Students at South High walked out and are protesting...I student taught at that school it is almost exclusively minority. Good for them!

What the hell is going on...
                    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                      Hey Scooby did you hear about St. Thomas. Someone used the N-word in graffiti :/ (they had protests today)
                      Yeah, my oldest who is graduating this year had to walk past that and see it.
                      **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Still relevant. Even today.

For a price I'd do about anything
                        Except pull the trigger
                        For that I'd need a pretty good cause
                        Then I heard of Dr. X
                        The man with the cure
                        Just watch the television
                        Yeah, you'll see there's something going on

Got no love for politicians
                        Or that crazy scene in D.C.
                        It's just a power mad town
                        But the time is ripe for changes
                        There's a growing feeling
                        That taking a chance on a new kind of vision is due

I used to trust the media
                        To tell me the truth, tell us the truth
                        But now I've seen the payoffs
                        Everywhere I look
                        Who do you trust when everyone's a crook?

Revolution calling
                        Revolution calling
                        Revolution calling you
                        [There's a] Revolution calling
                        Revolution calling
                        Gotta make a change
                        Gotta push, gotta push it on through

I'm tired of all this bull****
                        They keep selling me on T.V.
                        About the communist plan
                        And all the shady preachers
                        Begging for my cash
                        Swiss bank accounts while giving their
                        Secretaries the slam

They're all in Penthouse now
                        Or Playboy magazine, million dollar stories to tell
                        I guess Warhol wasn't wrong
                        Fame fifteen minutes long
                        Everyone's using everybody, making the sale

I used to think
                        That only America's way, way was right
                        But now the holy dollar rules everybody's lives
                        Gotta make a million doesn't matter who dies

Revolution calling
                        Revolution calling
                        Revolution calling you
                        Revolution calling
                        Gotta make a change

I used to trust the media
                        To tell me the truth, tell us the truth
                        But now I've seen the payoffs
                        Everywhere I look
                        Who do you trust when everyone's a crook?

Revolution calling
                        Revolution calling
                        Revolution calling you
                        Revolution calling
                        Gotta make a change

Comment

Is that before or after my parents medical insurance is gutted?
                          Some of our parents already don't have insurance they can afford.
                          Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/1...ul-ryan-231216

There's the GOP saying leave the policy to Paul Ryan.

So awesome. It's like half the country had no ****ing clue what they were doing on Tuesday. It's beyond fantastic.
                            Immigration and equality issues aside, I'd be far more comfortable with Trump making policy than I would with Ryan. That guy wants to destroy every social safety net this country has, and give all that money to the rich.
                            What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

And from the second paragraph in that article:

In constructing its factory town, the Cannon family funded the building of a police department, a post office, schools, churches, and mill houses on surrounding land.
                              Funded a police force. Homes for their workers. A community as it were. Because these business owners realized that they were a community, their fortunes rose and fell with teach other. Together.

That's the huge lesson that today's corporatist America has forgotten, or just ignores outright. Now it's every man out for themselves, and grab yourself the biggest share of the pie you can. Everyone else can, in the words of Donald Trump, "go fuk themselves".
                              What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

• Originally posted by rufus View Post
                                And from the second paragraph in that article:

Funded a police force. Homes for their workers. A community as it were. Because these business owners realized that they were a community, their fortunes rose and fell with teach other. Together.

That's the huge lesson that today's corporatist America has forgotten, or just ignores outright. Now it's every man out for themselves, and grab yourself the biggest share of the pie you can. Everyone else can, in the words of Donald Trump, "go fuk themselves".
                                And also the article talks about how they continuously rejected unionization as well.

I can have empathy for the people in these situations as I'm in a similar boat but I can't be sympathetic because they've done all they can to put themselves in this situation as well.
                                U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                                Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                                I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                                But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                                Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                                Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Working...
                                X