X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Campaign XXVI: The Drumpf World Order

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
    Your logic is dizzying. I'm saying the cops are in the wrong here. And fine, arrest themselves. But they won't, because of some blah blah entitlement whatever issue. And before anyone says anything, NO this is NOT a Millennial thing. There are all ages there.
    Why the hell would they arrest themselves that is the whole point. They wouldnt, just like you wouldnt turn yourself in for a crime you werent caught doing. The cops make these choices all the time, what crimes are worth dealing with and what ones arent and they are making the best possible one here and it isnt even close. They are making sure everyone is safe and everyone gets to have their voice heard. Why you have such a hardon for this I honestly dont get.

Its the cops job to deal with this. Its not our job to tell them how to do it. Everything is going well there are zero problems the only ones *****ing are the people on message boards/Facebook/Twitter who arent even being inconvenienced they just always have their underwear in a tizzy every time someone dares stand up and protest. For some reason certain people get off on people being punished for having a flipping opinion.

Again even bbdl is disagreeing with you...take a step back and think about that for a second. Your vitriol over this is rather astounding.
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
      Why the hell would they arrest themselves that is the whole point. They wouldnt, just like you wouldnt turn yourself in for a crime you werent caught doing. The cops make these choices all the time, what crimes are worth dealing with and what ones arent and they are making the best possible one here and it isnt even close. They are making sure everyone is safe and everyone gets to have their voice heard. Why you have such a hardon for this I honestly dont get.

Its the cops job to deal with this. Its not our job to tell them how to do it. Everything is going well there are zero problems the only ones *****ing are the people on message boards/Facebook/Twitter who arent even being inconvenienced they just always have their underwear in a tizzy every time someone dares stand up and protest. For some reason certain people get off on people being punished for having a flipping opinion.

Again even bbdl is disagreeing with you...take a step back and think about that for a second. Your vitriol over this is rather astounding.
      When I see cars hitting the brakes hard on 94 b/c these protesters decided to walk across an interstate...yeah, I'm kinda mad. I'm not slamming my keyboard or tossing things across the room, if that's what you're implying, but I am very angry about it. You keep saying the cops know better, well, when they shoot someone, are you saying the same thing? Maybe, maybe not. It's situational, and in THIS situation, I think they are wrong.
      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
        The inaugural ball should be held on Jekyll Island. What did Louis C. K. say? "If you vote for Trump you're a sucker."
        That's the way I've seen it for months:
        You can cut out whatever percentage of his supporters are bigots, and the overwhelming majority of the rest are suckers.

I sincerely hope I'm wrong about Trump. I want him to be a positive president for this country. But from everything I have seen from him, I am not optimistic that is going to be the case.

My big concern now is how the Democrats respond to a President Trump and Republican majorities in both houses.
        There are going to be a lot of things pushed through that will be hard to swallow. But that's the reality. So, how do you respond.

I hope the Democrats do not resort to the same sort of obstructionist tactics we have seen from congressional Republicans. It is tempting, I'm sure, and probably easily justifiable to the base. But it cedes any claim to a moral high ground and the charges of hypocrisy will ring true.

If Trump and the Republican Congress want to burn the economy down, I say let them. If they want to repeal the ACA and defund Planned Parenthood, as hard as it is to say, let them. Environmental protections, consumer safety and all kinds of other regulations...these things can, and likely will have to be, recovered later on down the road. If massive deportation actually does become a political reality (and I think it is simply too unworkable to be), mitigation is likely the best we can ask for.

The focus, and all available political capitol, needs to be squarely on maintaining voting rights - and other civil liberties when possible. Time and time again we have seen Republican state legislatures work to impede the ability of certain populations to get to the polls, and with a Trump administration that seems more than willing to suppress dissent and silence opposition I find myself very worried about what kind of steps may be taken to ensure a favorable turnout in future elections.
        This is the one area where compromise cannot be made. If other issues must be bargained away to achieve this, so be it.

Then, it falls on not only the Democratic Party but on each and every one of us who are opposed to the ideas and rhetoric employed by Trump in this campaign - whether we are Democrats or not - to start laying the groundwork and instilling the sense of importance of getting more people engaged in the election process.

I've been pretty ****ing down the last two days. The idea that there were 60mil Americans willing to vote for Trump is the hardest part for me. I can honestly say I've never felt this disillusioned. But then I remind myself that the majority of Americans don't support Trump or what he ran on - it's just a lot of them didn't stand up and make their voices heard. That needs to change, and that is the ground on which this battle must be waged.

Comment

For Those That Believe in Miracles

Makes some interesting points...there is like no chance obviously but it is a fun idea.
          "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
          -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
          -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
          -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

I hope Trump proves us all wrong.

I think there are enough GOPers who care more about their jobs, that will block any hare-brained Trump idea that comes to light (obv Dems will block everything). There may be some useless token things, and Trump will tout them as major victories, but I don't see anything TRULY major changing outside of the Health Act (which I would be fine with).

I also hope that BOTH parties are listening to the message that America sent with voting Trump. Sick of political machines, the traditional system, etc etc etc, you all know the storyline.

I also hope that this week's rage from the anti-Trumpers (not ALL are Hillary supporters) dies down, and we can work to fix this stuff in 4 years.
            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
            Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Brent your protesters anger is a bit Don Quixote-esque. I'm not sure why you so often get outraged over minor items that often are tied to, "DA LAW!". I for one don't like the fact people are protesting an election process that so many Americans fully chose to ignore and I would prefer stepping into traffic be avoided altogether for same said reasons, but there's far bigger fish to fry out there.

Comment

Brent has been ****ed about people's reaction and like I said earlier, so ironic that a white dude is so ****ed about how Non whites/females are mad that the orange racist carrot has been elected
                Last edited by Deutsche Gopher Fan; 11-11-2016, 01:24 AM.

Comment

I think there are enough GOPers who care more about their jobs, that will block any hare-brained Trump idea that comes to light (obv Dems will block everything). There may be some useless token things, and Trump will tout them as major victories, but I don't see anything TRULY major changing outside of the Health Act (which I would be fine with).

I also hope that BOTH parties are listening to the message that America sent with voting Trump. Sick of political machines, the traditional system, etc etc etc, you all know the storyline.

I also hope that this week's rage from the anti-Trumpers (not ALL are Hillary supporters) dies down, and we can work to fix this stuff in 4 years.
                  Are you an anti-Trumper, Brent? Forget about whether you feel rage, were you anti-Trump going into this election?

Comment

oops!

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/musli...ry?id=43442471
                    CCT '77 & '78
                    4 kids
                    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Early morning ramble alert: Read and discard.

In addition to the fact that we now have an eighth-grader in the WH (and I challenge anyone to show that his emotional maturity is not at about that level), one aspect of this which bothers me a lot is that it will be seen as validation of the tactics the GOP has used over the last 25 years. For some, HRC was a bad choice because of the policies we expected from her administration. I count Kepler and many of the rest of us in that category. But for a very large number, she was poisonous as a result of a vague but unshakable belief that she was a fraud, a belief tied to endless messages about the Foundation, Benghazi, emails, etc. It started with Bill. The vast majority of all that was unproven innuendo, but it worked. Politics is a contact sport, always has been, so all is fair. But it has a stroke of genius for that party to, on one hand, create a feeling of doubt and mistrust in the benefit of knowledge and education by ridiculing the "intellectual elite," denying man's role in global warming, celebrating creationism, etc., and then capitalize on ignorance and the fear that usually goes along with it by using boogeyman tactics and appealing to base prejudices we should be trying to free ourselves from. It is so justification, in my mind, to simply say people were sick of Washington. They just elected someone who bragged about being a one-percenter who has never in his life shown any interest whatsoever in lifting a finger to help the "common man." To the contrary.

Trump ran a disastrous campaign. Every time he opened his mouth his image suffered. But the party had run a very effective campaign for a generation which, it appeared, might backfire by creating an angry, ignorant mob that would turn on its inciters. But in the end the mob did not turn against those who created it--at least not on election night--so all of those strategies have been confirmed as an effective way to obtain power. I thought people were a little smarter. Not a lot, but enough. I was wrong.

The low to middle income people will suffer from this choice, as will the environment and minority groups who did not fit into the 50s culture here. But the Country is pretty resilient, and social progress will move on because Trump's constituency is a dying breed. I do fear what might happen abroad though. A president may not be able to control domestic policy, but it can sure as he!! cause catastrophic harm in foreign policy.

Soft supporters of Trump continue to point out that liberals failed to appreciate the amount of distrust the average voter feels in what Washington is doing. Certainly the change from a manufacturing economy to a service economy, for one thing, has affected many of us in a very real and negative way. But simply recognizing that many people live a life of struggle does not explain or justify the Trump victory in my mind. The anger and fear that motivated the Trump vote was consciously engineered, effectively and over time. It tee'd up the email, Benghazi ball and shortened the hole. It worked. It is easy to say that such fear mongering ignorance-based tactics cannot continue to work for long because the demographics are changing, but ignorance and fear work with all of us, regardless of skin color, gender, sexual preference, religious choice, or political persuasion. Liberals are experiencing it now.

I have to apologize for some of this if you took the time to read it all. I won't even reread or edit it. Sometimes you just have to blurt it out. But now I don't have to kick the dog, though it would be nice to have a gopher fan nearby.

Comment

All the gloaters better have some vigilance come 20 January. Obama came in in 2009 on an anti-war, anti-rich, and transparency mandate. Last I checked, that war's still going on. The TSA is grabbing more p****** than the media has claimed ANY candidate did. Inflation has skyrocketed, resulting in even MORE welfare than the Great Depression. This administration was even less transparent than Bush. Oh, but it didn't matter, because if you had the magic "D", you were given a pass.

Well guess what? Trump isn't getting a pass from me. Heck, I didn't even vote for the dude! He received a mandate from those that are sick of the DC establishment and large centralized takeovers. Now is the time to put money to mouth.

Comment

burd

The pizzed off electorate in the primaries should have been a warning sign. In a "normal" world, HRC and a centrist GOP (Jeb!?) should have crushed the opposition by spring training or Opening Day (must always be capitalized).

Not this year. Bernie did very well and won rust belt states. tD channelled Howard Beall and left the 13 dwarves wondering what happened. The warning signs were there. But "the will not to believe" overrode what the eyes saw and the ears heard.

The blame for the Dems loss goes to the DNC and the HRC campaign. They were the 2016 equivalent of Tom Dewey. Don't blame the voters who are mad as heck and refuse to take it anymore. The Dems misread the electorate and paid the price. The elites misread/pooh pooed tD as a buffoon and every time they belittled tD, the little guy felt it.

There are a lot of good articles in the liberal press (I read the WaPo and Boston Globe each day) that are beginning to analyze the election to see where they went wrong. One of the better ones said the press took tD literally but not seriously while the electorate took tD seriously but not literally. Thit, even Fox News is guilty of that.

Now, for better or for worse, tD is the president-elect. Let's see what has been rolled out by Memorial Day to see if tD was literal or figurative.

Be the loyal opposition. Hold the GOP accountable. Pray, as I do, that compromise and good old fashioned horse trading (and pork) return to the Hill. If we screw up, tell us. Offer an alternative. Point out the flaws, as you see them, in the legislation. I promise I'll read them and not denounce you as some narcissist twit. We'll argue, civilly I hope, and since we can't solve a darn thing, hope that our political masters do the same and get some work done.

With that, my retired fat arse is returning to bed. A word of advice - taking care of an aging relative is like taking care of a baby. Sleep is a luxury you grab when you can
                          CCT '77 & '78
                          4 kids
                          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                            All the gloaters better have some vigilance come 20 January. Obama came in in 2009 on an anti-war, anti-rich, and transparency mandate. Last I checked, that war's still going on. The TSA is grabbing more p****** than the media has claimed ANY candidate did. Inflation has skyrocketed, resulting in even MORE welfare than the Great Depression. This administration was even less transparent than Bush. Oh, but it didn't matter, because if you had the magic "D", you were given a pass.

Well guess what? Trump isn't getting a pass from me. Heck, I didn't even vote for the dude! He received a mandate from those that are sick of the DC establishment and large centralized takeovers. Now is the time to put money to mouth.
                            Wouldn't agree with all of that. Right, wrong or indifferent, Obama did try to get healthcare to all the poor (many of whom had none) and is slowly losing that battle due to the insurance industry and GOP subversion. That's as much good for them as about any president in our generation has delivered.

As far as Trump goes, he's campaigned on 'fixing the inner cities' as they're so dangerous and rebuilding small town and coal mining regions with government funds. Major governmental welfare expansion promises. Anyone want to bet on any real progress there?
                            Go Gophers!

Comment

Subscribed because I've moved on to acceptance.

I'm not a huge fan of having Keith Ellison run the DNC. I know he's more in touch with groups like BLM, but I'm not sure I want him being the face of the DNC. The kind of tactics that he's been part of and his son have been associated with might not be the best if they are trying to "re-court" the angry white men. A portion of the AWM are angry because they've been left behind by he plutocrats. That's what they need to target. I am coming around on the idea that we can't call them racists since that won't win them back. I'm not sure how you court them without addressing the soft racism of ignorance of other demos' struggles.

Maybe I'm off about this though.

I think I would like to see Dean get it. I'm not sure what the general feeling is about either of them or how well Dean ran it.

I don't know because when he was in charge, I was fairly outspoken against the Democrats. I think both I and the parties have shifted since then. The 50-state strategy seems like a better plan.
                              Code:
                              As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                              College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                              BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                              Originally posted by SanTropez
                              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                              Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                              I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                              Originally posted by Kepler
                              When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Oh, and one more thing that worries me a little.

Did anyone else watch Donald's body language when he was speaking to the press with Obama? He looked terribly disinterested and bored. It was the kind of posture you see a bored husband take if he was dragged to a baby shower. Just staring off in space and to try and fool everyone that he was paying attention he would flick his attention back to Obama and raise his entire brow. That's the kid of face I make when I'm trying to feign interest.
                                Code:
                                As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                                College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                                BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                                Originally posted by SanTropez
                                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                                Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                                I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                                Originally posted by Kepler
                                When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Working...
                                X