Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mr. Trump, I mean Mr. President, which State would You Like To Round Them Up In?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dxmnkd316
    replied
    Re: Mr. Trump, I mean Mr. President, which State would You Like To Round Them Up In?

Originally posted by aparch View Post
    Which Comcast has done without admitting it (speed charts of Netflix vs Internet Providers from 2013-ish show a steep decline in Netflix service until the date Netflix agreed to pay Cable Co.'s to carry them uninhibited.

God, I remember that. You couldn't even connect to Netflix for like two months.

Leave a comment:

• mookie1995
    replied
    Re: Mr. Trump, I mean Mr. President, which State would You Like To Round Them Up In?

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
    How would that work?

Someone has to be responsible for maintenance, someone has to assign new, unique domain names; someone needs to assure that a domain name remains unique; and during times of heavy traffic, someone needs to sort out which traffic is to be prioritized over other traffic.

If no one is in charge, would that mean each nation maintains its own internal internet separately? If so, how does each nation's internet connect to every other nation's internet?
    algore can't handle that?!?!

Leave a comment:

• FreshFish
    replied

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    I want nobody in charge [of the internet].
    How would that work?

Someone has to be responsible for maintenance, someone has to assign new, unique domain names; someone needs to assure that a domain name remains unique; and during times of heavy traffic, someone needs to sort out which traffic is to be prioritized over other traffic.

If no one is in charge, would that mean each nation maintains its own internal internet separately? If so, how does each nation's internet connect to every other nation's internet?

Leave a comment:

• aparch
    replied
    Originally posted by unofan View Post
    Likewise, Comcast can't throttle packets from Netflix while allowing Youtube to go thru unscathed. This is especially important where you have monopolies or duopolies for service providers, which is true almost everywhere in this country
    Which Comcast has done without admitting it (speed charts of Netflix vs Internet Providers from 2013-ish show a steep decline in Netflix service until the date Netflix agreed to pay Cable Co.'s to carry them uninhibited.

Leave a comment:

• leswp1
    replied

You must spread!

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
    When they hand out Koolaid again I like the red kind
    How about a nice Hawaiian Punch?

Leave a comment:

• unofan
    replied
    Not sure if that is a good thing or a bad thing....

Isn't "net neutrality" a code word for one group of internet giants trying to gain a competitive advantage over a different group of internet giants by using government regulations to promote one business model while suppressing a rival business model?
    Net neutrality says that companies that operate the actual data lines have to treat all data packets the same, regardless of origin or destination, all else being equal. It is derived from the same principle used for phone calls - companies have to treat all calls the same. You can't provide bad service to one call because it originated with AT&T while expediting another because it's from Sprint.

Likewise, Comcast can't throttle packets from Netflix while allowing Youtube to go thru unscathed. This is especially important where you have monopolies or duopolies for service providers, which is true almost everywhere in this country

And to cut off your likely retort, net neutrality says nothing about metering for actual use or similar means of charging high use customers more.
    Last edited by unofan; 11-16-2016, 09:29 AM.

Leave a comment:

• leswp1
    replied

When they hand out Koolaid again I like the red kind

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied

I know you enjoy ridiculing people who disagree with you, but I never expected you to favor outright censorship.

Do you really want China, Russia, and Iran in charge of the internet instead???
    I want nobody in charge.

And here's the funny thing about that ridicule. You'll notice there are plenty of posters here who disagree with me, even on first principles, but we engage in mutually respectful and intelligent discussions.

Kinda makes you think, eh?

Or more likely it doesn't.

And that's the point.

Leave a comment:

• FreshFish
    replied

And internet dominance will move forever away from America.
    I know you enjoy ridiculing people who disagree with you, but I never expected you to favor outright censorship.

Do you really want China, Russia, and Iran in charge of the internet instead???

Leave a comment:

• FreshFish
    replied

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
    Speaking of the FCC, there's a fair chance net neutrality could be a thing of the past with the new administration,
    Not sure if that is a good thing or a bad thing....

Isn't "net neutrality" a code word for one group of internet giants trying to gain a competitive advantage over a different group of internet giants by using government regulations to promote one business model while suppressing a rival business model?

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied

Originally posted by joecct View Post
    Google Translate is our friend.
    It will get better but for now it really blows.
    Last edited by Kepler; 11-16-2016, 08:37 AM.

Leave a comment:

• joecct
    replied
    Here's one proxy way of comparing.

The world's catching up -- IINM 5 years ago English language articles were well over 50% of Wikipedia. Now we're around 30%. When we're down to 5% the internet will be "fair and balanced."
    Google Translate is our friend.

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
    Not so sure. Too lazy to look it up. But a cursory look says each country's citizens primarily read news stories put out by its own sources - the Germans read Der Spiegel. The US just is so insulated that one wouldn't know that and assume that CNN and Fox are the world standards. Fox News proper has almost no reach outside of the US. None of this should change.

Now you could say that the internet might be less dominated by stories about the US...that's possible, but not super likely. For others around the world, the US is either interesting, messed up or scary.
    Here's one proxy way of comparing.

The world's catching up -- IINM 5 years ago English language articles were well over 50% of Wikipedia. Now we're around 30%. When we're down to 5% the internet will be "fair and balanced."

Leave a comment:

• FadeToBlack&Gold
    replied

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
    Don't call him Pen-sieve, it makes him sound like a deep thinker.
    My mom started calling him "Pensive". It was only natural I took the next step, and went with the more appropriate play-on-words.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X