Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mr. Trump, I mean Mr. President, which State would You Like To Round Them Up In?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Mr. Trump, I mean Mr. President, which State would You Like To Round Them Up In?

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
    It's the Republicans problem to solve now. I have 0 faith they will do anything to change it. They will convince voters to vote for them anyway though.
    well seeing how the D didn't solve it, what do the have to lose (copyright tD)
    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Re: Mr. Trump, I mean Mr. President, which State would You Like To Round Them Up In?

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
      mookie can speak for mookie, but people don't care about the macro statistics. They care about their individual lot in life. If I am unemployed, then that's bad. If you are unemployed, then it's a shame but things will get better. Low income, low educated people were not doing well during the recovery for the past eight years (ironically, the macro stats have told us that). So Trump tapped into their animus, and got a large number of them to the polls.
      The signs were there. A month or more ago, during the "deplorables" discussion I referred to a surprising StarTrib story about strong support for Trump on the Iron Range. Other than African Americans, in my lifetime it would be hard to think of a group more supportive of the Democratic party than the Minnesota Iron Range. We were led to believe that Trumps support was made up of old, misogynistic, racists and there aren't enough of them to win a Presidential election. I disagreed with that then, and still disagree with it. People felt their place in line in pursuit of the American dream has been threatened, and it seems like there were a lot more of these people than everyone expected.
      That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
        My child was texting me all evening- full of hope. The country was intelligent enough to see what the consequences would be if they elected a man who was clearly unfit. At 2AM I got a text he hates his country. He has morals, values. We just elected a man who is amoral.
        tell lil you survived bubba, and teddy, and bob packwood. things will be just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
          The signs were there. A month or more ago, during the "deplorables" discussion I referred to a surprising StarTrib story about strong support for Trump on the Iron Range. Other than African Americans, in my lifetime it would be hard to think of a group more supportive of the Democratic party than the Minnesota Iron Range. We were led to believe that Trumps support was made up of old, misogynistic, racists and there aren't enough of them to win a Presidential election. I disagreed with that then, and still disagree with it. People felt their place in line in pursuit of the American dream has been threatened, and it seems like there were a lot more of these people than everyone expected.
          msnbc map guy told us last night that tD got 27% of the hispanic vote. go figure

Comment

People felt their place in line in pursuit of the American dream has been threatened, and it seems like there were a lot more of these people than everyone expected.
            Your (?) line analogy is a beautiful, fertile image. People are less upset about their place in line than about cutting.

That refutes my first axiom of social justice and demolishes everything derived from it.

You have seriously rearranged my thinking.
            Last edited by Kepler; 11-09-2016, 09:44 AM.
            Cornell University
            National Champion 1967, 1970
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
              Your (?) line analogy does seem to have been a beautiful, meaningful analogy. People are far less upset about their place in line than about what they perceive as cutting.
              It isn't my analogy. A month or more ago I came on here and recommended a book that I had just read that absolutely struck a chord. It appeared, at least to me, to "get" perfectly what Donald Trump was tapping into, and it wasn't summarized by racism or misogyny.

I will recommend this book again. It was written by a woman, self-described as being about as far left as you can get in this country, but accepted as an extremely gifted and perceptive sociologist.

People who want a good understanding of what just happened, or maybe more importantly why it just happened would be well advised to understand this book. There is a great opportunity for a politician to tap into a still large section of the electorate that are not only Republicans, but also Democrats.

https://www.amazon.com/Strangers-The.../dp/1620972255
              That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                msnbc map guy told us last night that tD got 27% of the hispanic vote. go figure
                Two guys in the office were debating the election results just a few minutes ago. The black man was defending Trump and his voters while the white Millennial was going on about being disappointed in all of America today.

The world is weird today.
                "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

People felt their place in line in pursuit of the American dream has been threatened, and it seems like there were a lot more of these people than everyone expected.
                  So we elected a plutocrat to fix it.
                  Code:
                  As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                  College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                  BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                  Originally posted by SanTropez
                  May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                  Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                  I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                  Originally posted by Kepler
                  When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                  He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                    We elected someone who didn't pay his workers and ran a scam University to bilk millions of dollars from regular people.
                    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                      We also sent a plutocrat home. Either way, a plutocrat was going to win the whole dam- thing.
                      "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

A couple month ago I saw a FB post from a local small business owner who was trying a new supplier who was made up of Hispanic people. First they shocked him with their quality and quick turnaround then the Owner of that company talked about his backing for Trump. This man had emigrated legally and was incensed that others who had not gone through the process were going to get a free pass.

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                          Two guys in the office were debating the election results just a few minutes ago. The black man was defending Trump and his voters while the white Millennial was going on about being disappointed in all of America today.

The world is weird today.
                          Flashback to when the best golfer was black (Tiger) and best rapper was white (Eminem).
                          The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Originally posted by goldy_331 View Post
                            A couple month ago I saw a FB post from a local small business owner who was trying a new supplier who was made up of Hispanic people. First they shocked him with their quality and quick turnaround then the Owner of that company talked about his backing for Trump. This man had emigrated legally and was incensed that others who had not gone through the process were going to get a free pass.
                            that man is obviously racist!

Comment

My daughter lived in Orlando and knew several of the people killed at the nightclub. She texted me this:

I am just ashamed and hurt. I feel like America said it's ok my friends were murdered.

She just started a teaching program. My response below. The quote is from her favorite book for me to read to her growing up, The Princess Bride.

I know.

Mom and I feel terrible too. I'm not mad -- I got all my mad out of my system when Dubya was re-elected. But I am a bit heartbroken.

“And when she at last came out, her eyes were dry. Her parents stared up from their silent breakfast at her. They both started to rise but she put a hand out, stopped them. ‘I can care for myself, please,’ and she set about getting some food. They watched her closely.
                              In point of fact, she had never looked as well. She had entered her room as just an impossibly lovely girl. The woman who emerged was a trifle thinner, a great deal wiser, and an ocean sadder. This one understood the nature of pain, and beneath the glory of her features, there was character, and a sure knowledge of suffering.
                              She was eighteen. She was the most beautiful woman in a hundred years. She didn’t seem to care.
                              ‘You’re all right?’ her mother asked.
                              Buttercup sipped her cocoa. ‘Fine,’ she said.
                              ‘You’re sure?’ her father wondered.
                              ‘Yes,’ Buttercup replied. There was a very long pause.
                              We will get through this, baby. I am very proud of you because the way we stop this from happening again is by teaching. You're going to be great, and you're going to help fix this. In the meantime, Mom and I will work to limit the damage. We all have important things we can do.
                              Time's like this it's useful to have been raised Catholic. When tragedies occur, that's God saying get off your a-ss and be a First Responder.

Vive la résistance, muthaf-ckas.
                              Cornell University
                              National Champion 1967, 1970
                              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

that man is obviously racist!
                                I just chatted on business wth Rudy Garcia from San José and he wasn't crying in his cervesa about how racist the US is now. Still upbeat and positive...great guy to work with.

Comment

Working...
                                X