Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mr. Trump, I mean Mr. President, which State would You Like To Round Them Up In?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    Here's one proxy way of comparing.

    The world's catching up -- IINM 5 years ago English language articles were well over 50% of Wikipedia. Now we're around 30%. When we're down to 5% the internet will be "fair and balanced."
    Google Translate is our friend.
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

    ”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

    Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

    I want to live forever. So far, so good.

    Comment


    • Re: Mr. Trump, I mean Mr. President, which State would You Like To Round Them Up In?

      Originally posted by joecct View Post
      Google Translate is our friend.
      It will get better but for now it really blows.
      Last edited by Kepler; 11-16-2016, 09:37 AM.
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

      Comment


      • Re: Mr. Trump, I mean Mr. President, which State would You Like To Round Them Up In?

        Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
        Speaking of the FCC, there's a fair chance net neutrality could be a thing of the past with the new administration,
        Not sure if that is a good thing or a bad thing....

        Isn't "net neutrality" a code word for one group of internet giants trying to gain a competitive advantage over a different group of internet giants by using government regulations to promote one business model while suppressing a rival business model?
        "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

        "Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

        "Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

        "People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

        Comment


        • Re: Mr. Trump, I mean Mr. President, which State would You Like To Round Them Up In?

          Originally posted by Kepler View Post
          And internet dominance will move forever away from America.
          I know you enjoy ridiculing people who disagree with you, but I never expected you to favor outright censorship.

          Do you really want China, Russia, and Iran in charge of the internet instead???
          "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

          "Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

          "Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

          "People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

          Comment


          • Re: Mr. Trump, I mean Mr. President, which State would You Like To Round Them Up In?

            Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
            I know you enjoy ridiculing people who disagree with you, but I never expected you to favor outright censorship.

            Do you really want China, Russia, and Iran in charge of the internet instead???
            I want nobody in charge.

            And here's the funny thing about that ridicule. You'll notice there are plenty of posters here who disagree with me, even on first principles, but we engage in mutually respectful and intelligent discussions.

            Kinda makes you think, eh?

            Or more likely it doesn't.

            And that's the point.
            Cornell University
            National Champion 1967, 1970
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

            Comment


            • Re: Mr. Trump, I mean Mr. President, which State would You Like To Round Them Up In?

              When they hand out Koolaid again I like the red kind

              Comment


              • Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                Not sure if that is a good thing or a bad thing....

                Isn't "net neutrality" a code word for one group of internet giants trying to gain a competitive advantage over a different group of internet giants by using government regulations to promote one business model while suppressing a rival business model?
                Net neutrality says that companies that operate the actual data lines have to treat all data packets the same, regardless of origin or destination, all else being equal. It is derived from the same principle used for phone calls - companies have to treat all calls the same. You can't provide bad service to one call because it originated with AT&T while expediting another because it's from Sprint.

                Likewise, Comcast can't throttle packets from Netflix while allowing Youtube to go thru unscathed. This is especially important where you have monopolies or duopolies for service providers, which is true almost everywhere in this country

                And to cut off your likely retort, net neutrality says nothing about metering for actual use or similar means of charging high use customers more.
                Last edited by unofan; 11-16-2016, 10:29 AM.

                Comment


                • Re: Mr. Trump, I mean Mr. President, which State would You Like To Round Them Up In?

                  Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
                  When they hand out Koolaid again I like the red kind
                  How about a nice Hawaiian Punch?
                  Cornell University
                  National Champion 1967, 1970
                  ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                  Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

                  Comment


                  • Re: Mr. Trump, I mean Mr. President, which State would You Like To Round Them Up In?

                    Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                    You must spread!

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by unofan View Post
                      Likewise, Comcast can't throttle packets from Netflix while allowing Youtube to go thru unscathed. This is especially important where you have monopolies or duopolies for service providers, which is true almost everywhere in this country
                      Which Comcast has done without admitting it (speed charts of Netflix vs Internet Providers from 2013-ish show a steep decline in Netflix service until the date Netflix agreed to pay Cable Co.'s to carry them uninhibited.

                      “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

                      Live Radio from 100.3

                      Comment


                      • Re: Mr. Trump, I mean Mr. President, which State would You Like To Round Them Up In?

                        Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                        I want nobody in charge [of the internet].
                        How would that work?

                        Someone has to be responsible for maintenance, someone has to assign new, unique domain names; someone needs to assure that a domain name remains unique; and during times of heavy traffic, someone needs to sort out which traffic is to be prioritized over other traffic.

                        If no one is in charge, would that mean each nation maintains its own internal internet separately? If so, how does each nation's internet connect to every other nation's internet?
                        "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

                        "Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

                        "Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

                        "People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

                        Comment


                        • Re: Mr. Trump, I mean Mr. President, which State would You Like To Round Them Up In?

                          Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                          How would that work?

                          Someone has to be responsible for maintenance, someone has to assign new, unique domain names; someone needs to assure that a domain name remains unique; and during times of heavy traffic, someone needs to sort out which traffic is to be prioritized over other traffic.

                          If no one is in charge, would that mean each nation maintains its own internal internet separately? If so, how does each nation's internet connect to every other nation's internet?
                          algore can't handle that?!?!
                          a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

                          Comment


                          • Re: Mr. Trump, I mean Mr. President, which State would You Like To Round Them Up In?

                            Originally posted by aparch View Post
                            Which Comcast has done without admitting it (speed charts of Netflix vs Internet Providers from 2013-ish show a steep decline in Netflix service until the date Netflix agreed to pay Cable Co.'s to carry them uninhibited.

                            God, I remember that. You couldn't even connect to Netflix for like two months.
                            Code:
                            As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                            College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                            BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                            Originally posted by SanTropez
                            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                            Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                            I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                            Originally posted by Kepler
                            When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X