Presidential Election Prediction Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
    What a petty and childish way of thinking. i'm sure you never admonish celebrities that whine about moving to Canada when elections don't go their way?
    My forebears chose to live in North Dakota. I am genetically predisposed to not care where anyone lives.
    That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

• Re: Presidential Election Prediction Thread

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
      My forebears chose to live in North Dakota. I am genetically predisposed to not care where anyone lives.
      Wasn't North Dakota just universally understood to be a penal colony? I mean everybody knew that folks moving there would end up in prison for one thing or another, so they let them live out their lives up there leaning into the wind?

And doesn't that explain their style of hockey? So go, electoral college.

Comment

Not sure if this was mentioned but Clinton lost Michigan by approx. 12,000 votes and 90,000 people that cast ballots in that state didn't cast a vote for President.
        A bad cause requires many words.

Comment

Originally posted by SonofSouthie View Post
          Not sure if this was mentioned but Clinton lost Michigan by approx. 12,000 votes and 90,000 people that cast ballots in that state didn't cast a vote for President.
          only been brought up 6 or 14 times....
          a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Yep, we went over this yesterday:

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
            If that is true...then screw the State of Michigan. For all the crap Nader voters got what Michigan did was 100 times worse. They took hemlock to cure their headache.

It is one thing to vote 3rd party...but to leave the ballot blank ensuring your worst nightmare.

Democrats should hear that though...if they ever want Michigan blue they better realize the levels these people will go to prove their point.

I still love all the union workers that voted for Drumpf...cause the GOP is all about voting in a living wage. The Dems need to see this, to realize the selfishness of the average voter. They cant be 2000 miles away they need to see it up close.
            Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
            O, we don't give a **** for the whole state of Michigan
            The whole state of Michigan, the whole state of Michigan
            We don't give a **** for the whole state of Michigan, or...O-HI-O

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
              Yep, we went over this yesterday:
              I wonder how many people did that across the whole country? I did. I couldn't in good conscience vote for any of them.
              A bad cause requires many words.

Comment

• Originally posted by SonofSouthie View Post
                I wonder how many people did that across the whole country? I did. I couldn't in good conscience vote for any of them.
                Then you let others make the choice for you, for better or worse.

Comment

Is this where I do the obligatory cliche quote of "Freewill"?

If you choose not to decide,
                  You still have made a choice!

Comment

Anecdotal evidence may not always be worth much, sometimes it is interesting.

I know a dozen PhDs. All the males voted for Clinton and all the females voted for Trump.

On the other hand, all the males are in physics/biology/chemistry, and all the females are in health care.
                    "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                      Anecdotal evidence may not always be worth much, sometimes it is interesting.

I know a dozen PhDs. All the males voted for Clinton and all the females voted for Trump.

On the other hand, all the males are in physics/biology/chemistry, and all the females are in health care.
                      I'm genuinely curious where you found 6 PhDs who voted for Trump. You may have gotten them all.

I know around 50 PhDs. There were a few Johnsons (no jokes) and one who was a Stein at least until the Day Itself. No Trumps. But not merely no Trumps, but practically each one would have voted for anyone else they knew over Trump.

The only people I know with advanced degrees who voted for Trump were a few lawyers who have worked in NYC for so long they've become racist-by-association.
                      Cornell University
                      National Champion 1967, 1970
                      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                        I'm genuinely curious where you found 6 PhDs who voted for Trump. You may have gotten them all.

I know around 50 PhDs. There were a few Johnsons (no jokes) and one who was a Stein at least until the Day Itself. No Trumps. But not merely no Trumps, but practically each one would have voted for anyone else they knew over Trump.

The only people I know with advanced degrees who voted for Trump were a few lawyers who have worked in NYC for so long they've become racist-by-association.
                        I look at my hockey team and see how Clinton lost. Among those of us eligible to vote (we've got a Ukrainian and a couple Canadian transplants), about half of us have college degrees and beyond. Of those with degrees, probably 3 or 4 of us voted for her, 2 voted for Johnson (ones a stoner, the other your stereotypical libertarian), and one for Trump (small business owner who also owns a farm and cares only about taxes)

The other half are blue collar through and through. They voted for either Trump or Johnson, even the union workers.

And regardless of their professed reasoning, there was a significant amount of sexism/racism not so deeply hidden behind it. They didn't go full Trump with their locker room talk, but it was only a step or two short.

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
                          And regardless of their professed reasoning, there was a significant amount of sexism/racism not so deeply hidden behind it. They didn't go full Trump with their locker room talk, but it was only a step or two short.
                          All of the non-college women at my work went for Trump, and they were very uncomfortable with the media reports on his misogyny. Could almost see the cognitive dissonance: the media says treating women like that is sexist and sexism is bad, but all the men I know treat women like that, and they're not bad, therefore the media is wrong!

It was a very neat way of dealing with what otherwise would mean facing an uncomfortable chain of logic.

Exactly the same thing happens (with the same people, at that) when the logical likeness of fundamentalist Islam and Christianity comes up. They need an exit ramp to get them off the analytical highway ASAP, because it's going nowhere good for them.
                          Last edited by Kepler; 11-14-2016, 01:28 PM.
                          Cornell University
                          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                            I'm genuinely curious where you found 6 PhDs who voted for Trump.
                            I'd have bet the under.
                            The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
                              I'd have bet the under.
                              Well, after further review he said "all the men were Clinton and all the woman were Trump." So technically there could have been only 1 woman, or even zero, and the statement would still have been true.

But let's be serious. Unless your degree is from I Can't Believe It's A Graduate School, you're both smart and educated enough to avoid the Trump con.
                              Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                                But let's be serious. Unless your degree is from I Can't Believe It's A Graduate School, you're both smart and educated enough to avoid the Trump con.
                                Is this where the guy who abstained from voting for President (to avoid Trump) is heckled by the Cornell bobo because of his Rensselaer graduate degree?
                                The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Working...
                                X