Presidential Election Prediction Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
    I haven't had a chance to check this either. But I've heard that if you eliminate the deep south, Clinton wins in a major landslide.
    Eliminate the coasts and Trump wins in a walk.

Hmmm.. Maybe there is a method to his stance on climate change...
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Re: Presidential Election Prediction Thread

I haven't had a chance to check this either. But I've heard that if you eliminate the deep south, Clinton wins in a major landslide.
      I've been saying on this board for years that the wrong army won the civil war. This election proves it.
      **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
      Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

See that's the problem with the electoral college though. Just as you're doing, if they live in x location...they kind of don't count. Believe me, people in CA, NY, IL, TX are already paying. Their votes don't count. Because only swing states count. Additionally, those states are double penalized. Because of the electoral system small states like WY and AK get more representation than big states on an impact on the electoral college.

So while you're trying to downplay the impact of these voters because of where they live (which I would argue doesn't make much sense)...they're already getting a diminished amount of electoral votes in regions of the map that have no impact on choosing the president.
        What you see as a problem was intended by the Founders to be a feature.

The Electoral College was specifically designed to make sure that a person had broad-based national support to become President of the entire nation. You might disagree but that is what they intended. They were obsessively concerned about factions and about demagogues. They did not want a few concentrated population centers to be able to dominate national politics.

It is the same reason that each state has two Senators regardless of population. To protect minorities from the tyranny of the majority.

PS an odd choice of words for you, "downplay." It was purely descriptive: here are numbers. By design I repressed my urge to add spurious commentary, so that the numbers would stand alone all by themselves as pure data points.
        "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

See that's the problem with the electoral college though. Just as you're doing, if they live in x location...they kind of don't count. Believe me, people in CA, NY, IL, TX are already paying. Their votes don't count. Because only swing states count. Additionally, those states are double penalized. Because of the electoral system small states like WY and AK get more representation than big states on an impact on the electoral college.

So while you're trying to downplay the impact of these voters because of where they live (which I would argue doesn't make much sense)...they're already getting a diminished amount of electoral votes in regions of the map that have no impact on choosing the president.
          I live in MD. The last time my vote counted towards the Electoral College was 1984. It is what it is.
          CCT '77 & '78
          4 kids
          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
            I've been saying on this board for years that the wrong army won the civil war. This election proves it.
            The Civil War was fabricated by the Rothschild brothers (at the time), and actually had a lot to do with banking, as well as slavery. With two "more manageable" countries, they'd be easier to take over. Obviously they scored a huge victory in 1913. Now people are waking up and starting to want to dump centralization.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
              How does 3+3 get more weight than 55?
              Because Wyoming has about 150k people per electoral vote, while California it's more like 500k.

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
                Because Wyoming has about 150k people per electoral vote, while California it's more like 500k.
                Not wyomings fault
                a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Like I posted somewhere around here we were about 125,000 votes (in MI, WI, AZ total) from 269-269.

Imagine the confusion/faux rage/furor when the House has 50 votes (States) for 435 members.
                  The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                    Not wyomings fault
                    Ok. But they are still overrepresented.

Comment

• Originally posted by unofan View Post
                      Ok. But they are still overrepresented.
                      Somehow that may have been the founders intent. To allow a somewhat equal representation of the states. No?

To want something else is to not want the united states of america
                      a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

• Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                        Somehow that may have been the founders intent. To allow a somewhat equal representation of the states. No?

To want something else is to not want the united states of america
                        Do you think the founders envisioned a country where one state is literally 65x bigger than the smallest in terms of population?

Comment

• Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                          Right, if you only count the Northeast and the west coast, that is certainly true.

Here is a great website for voter turnout data: http://www.electproject.org/home/vot...r-turnout-data

It leads you to state websites.

IL had no link.
                          CA: HRC 5.6 million, DJT 3.0 million
                          NY: HRC 4.1 million, DJT 2.6 million
                          For those two states, because of rounding, HRC 9.7 million, DJT 5.7 million. or 4.0 million more.

Nationally: HRC 60.3 million, DJT 59.9 million. or 0.4 million less. So even if you look only at NY and CA, then in the rest of the country Trump has 3.6 million more votes.
                          You mean if you ignore the votes of 20% of the population, you'll get different results? No shiat, Sherlock.

Comment

• Re: Presidential Election Prediction Thread

Do you think the founders envisioned a country where one state is literally 65x bigger than the smallest in terms of population?
                            The 1790 census numbers:
                            Massachusetts 378,787
                            New Hampshire 141,885
                            Rhode Island 68,825
                            Connecticut 237,946
                            New York 340,120
                            New Jersey 184,139
                            Pennsylvania 434,373
                            Delaware 59,096
                            Maryland 319,728
                            Virginia 691,737
                            North Carolina 393,751
                            South Carolina 249,073
                            Georgia 82,548

They had just under 12x at the time.
                            The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

• Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
                              The 1790 census numbers:
                              Massachusetts 378,787
                              New Hampshire 141,885
                              Rhode Island 68,825
                              Connecticut 237,946
                              New York 340,120
                              New Jersey 184,139
                              Pennsylvania 434,373
                              Delaware 59,096
                              Maryland 319,728
                              Virginia 691,737
                              North Carolina 393,751
                              South Carolina 249,073
                              Georgia 82,548

They had just under 12x at the time.
                              So the difference today is higher by a factor of five. That's not insignificant.

Comment

• Re: Presidential Election Prediction Thread

So the difference today is higher by a factor of five. That's not insignificant.
                                I'm just data reporting with that. I really had no idea. I guess the 12x doesn't surprise me. It should show that they realized there'd be differences (VA v. DE).

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Working...
                                X