Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Presidential Election Prediction Thread

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    Chop a month off if her cabinet is the Goldman board.
    Government Sachs will be back in full force!
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Chop a month off if her cabinet is the Goldman board.
      How many blocks can Liz and Bernie use to stave off the inevitable?
      CCT '77 & '78
      4 kids
      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
        How many blocks can Liz and Bernie use to stave off the inevitable?
        How much she leans on them will be quite telling...
        "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
        -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
        -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
        -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
          Its not just the county, its the coast also. If it were just the county it would go Trump.
          The French communities of the St. John Valley has been a long Democratic stronghold, but I think they have been slowly realigning themselves with the Republicans -- I think LePage picked up some of those towns, so it's possible it will go Republican. Based on 2012, I think Piscataquis followed by Washington are the most likely to go Trump. (Piscataquis is the only county in Maine that did not go for Obama in 2008 or 2012). I think either "The County" or Somerset are probably 3rd in line to get on the Trump Train and I think they are probably tossups this year. The fact that all of the Penobscot River paper mills have closed in recent years helps Trump.

I've linked to a map of how each municipality in Maine voted in 2012. The colors are opposite of what we expect now (RED=Democrat, BLUE=Republican, and for people that don't know Maine GREY=unincorporated). You can see Obama did well in the St John Valley in the northern part of "The County". The County a a whole went to Obama in 2008 and 2012, and in fact Aroostook County hasn't voted for an R for president since 1988.

Maine by municipality 2012:
          http://uselectionatlas.org/WEBLOGS/d...sults-by-town/

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
            Its not just the county, its the coast also. If it were just the county it would go Trump. I think its close but goes to Hilary. At this point Hilary wins easily, the question remains how senate races go and how Congressional races turnout.

Never seen so much money spent on 2nd district congressional race here in Maine. The amount of TV ads is staggering(averaging 335 a day according to some reports). As many as 4 in row during local news. Its a tossup at this point. Cain is way to liberal for me and Poliquin is way to slimy.

EDIT: Clinton 538, Trump 0
            And since the Portland TV market reaches into both CD2 and NH the evening news has been unbearable for the past two months. I think every single ad from 5-7pm is a campaign ad - and none of them are aimed at us.

The irony of the CD2 race is I know both Emily and Bruce personally and they are both wonderful people. I just find Bruce's politics abhorrent. He should go back to working with high school kids. He was a phenomenal coach.

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
              I wont be melancholy...but I will wonder what could have been
              You misinterpret. I'm saying he'll still be melancholy with Clinton 45.
              The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                How much she leans on them will be quite telling...
                Who's donating more to the Clinton Global Initiative or the Clinton Foundation? Not to give away the answer key, but there it is.
                The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
                  You misinterpret. I'm saying he'll still be melancholy with Clinton 45.
                  No I didnt.
                  -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Peruvian shamans predict a Clinton victory.

[studiously avoid any mention of "spirit cooking" .... oops ]
                    "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

I don't have the resources to do it nationwide, I do think it would be interesting to notice how different the results might be if electors were chosen by Congressional district rather than by the state as a whole (every state would still have two statewide electors because of the Senate). Trump would do a lot better in NY and CA and IL under a system like that.

In CT, I will try to check the state results and see if, instead of 7 - 0, it would be more like 4 - 3 or 5 - 2. Typically, the "ground game" in Bridgeport, Hartford, and New Haven is enough to carry the state for D, no matter how the rest of the state votes.
                      "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                        In CT, I will try to check the state results and see if, instead of 7 - 0, it would be more like 4 - 3 or 5 - 2. Typically, the "ground game" in Bridgeport, Hartford, and New Haven is enough to carry the state for D, no matter how the rest of the state votes.
                        Never seen a national map like that -- it would be great. I guess a fair approximation is the makeup of the House.

Hunting for it on google it seems like a very popular idea on conservative sites. IMO it gives too much power to the state legs who already gerrymander the House districts. Imagine if they could get a 2-for-1 and heist both the House and the White House?

As somebody said about a different topic, it might seem like a good idea now with a systemic House advantage, but someday that worm will turn.
                        Last edited by Kepler; 11-08-2016, 04:27 PM.
                        Cornell University
                        National Champion 1967, 1970
                        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Never seen a national map like that -- it would be great. I guess a fair approximation is the makeup of the House.

Hunting for it on google it seems like a very popular idea on conservative sites. IMO it gives too much power to the state legs who already gerrymander the House districts. Imagine if they could get a 2-for-1 and heist both the House and the White House?

As somebody said about a different topic, it might seem like a good idea now with a systemic House advantage, but someday that worm will turn.
                          If it makes our democratic republic closer reflect the populace, I'm good with that, including worm turns.

Re: State legislature powers --> Senators used to be picked by state legislatures, not statewide popular vote. That's worm turn away from the legislatures already.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
                            If it makes our democratic republic closer reflect the populace, I'm good with that, including worm turns.
                            Count me in for abolishing the EC and going to popular vote.
                            Cornell University
                            National Champion 1967, 1970
                            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Count me in for abolishing the EC and going to popular vote.
                              No. Higher chance of Trump or people like him. The system we have is the right system.
                              **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                              Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                                No. Higher chance of Trump or people like him. The system we have is the right system.
                                I'm ok for the Congressional District = 1 EC vote system however, it would have to come with a massive overhaul of how districts are defined.
                                U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                                Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                                I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                                But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                                Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                                Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Working...
                                X