Presidential Election Prediction Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
    I'm just data reporting with that. I really had no idea. I guess the 12x doesn't surprise me. It should show that they realized there'd be differences (VA v. DE).
    Yah
    Doesn't matter the size now vs then. They were aware of it and in their infinite wisdom created what they did that way
    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

• Re: Presidential Election Prediction Thread

Also consider at that time VA had 19.3% of the country's population.
      CA today is 12.2%. So they are not now TOO big that they should merit extra consideration

Comment

• Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
        Also consider at that time VA had 19.3% of the country's population.
        CA today is 12.2%. So they are not now TOO big that they should merit extra consideration
        19% out of 13 colonies versus 12% out of 50 states.

Clearly applied math is not mookie's strong point.

Comment

• Originally posted by unofan View Post
          19% out of 13 colonies versus 12% out of 50 states.

Clearly applied math is not mookie's strong point.
          Mookie is not seeing anything dramatic enough to defy original intent. Their wisdom was stood up for 240yrs for a reason. Certainly enough to not be challenged from a state employed lawyer from cowtown.

Comment

And had Hillary won, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Comment

• Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
              Mookie is not seeing anything dramatic enough to defy original intent. Their wisdom was stood up for 240yrs for a reason. Certainly enough to not be challenged from a state employed lawyer from cowtown.
              Your act is bad and you should feel bad. You've got a lot of catching up to do if you really want to become the next Old Pio.

Comment

• Originally posted by unofan View Post
                Your act is bad and you should feel bad. You've got a lot of catching up to do if you really want to become the next Old Pio.
                Oh

Only you can throw around names at others here? Use the stupid card?

Didn't see that memo....

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                  Somehow that may have been the founders intent. To allow a somewhat equal representation of the states. No?
                  Agreed. The whole idea here is to protect our republic from the dangers of "too much democracy". Where the underrepresented are crowded out.
                  Code:
                  As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                  College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                  BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                  Originally posted by SanTropez
                  May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                  Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                  I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                  Originally posted by Kepler
                  When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                  He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Do away with the Electoral College and you'll never again see a Presidential candidate in the grey counties in this link.

http://www.businessinsider.com/half-...ounties-2013-9
                    The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Would it work for mookie if a popular vote for president was the founders wanted? Per wiki:

"Some delegates, including James Wilson and James Madison, preferred popular election of the executive. Madison acknowledged that while a popular vote would be ideal, it would be difficult to get consensus on the proposal given the prevalence of slavery in the South"

Playing hardball in the 18th century has worked out quite well for the south in the 21st century.
                      Go Gophers!

Comment

• Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
                        Do away with the Electoral College and you'll never again see a Presidential candidate in the grey counties in this link.

The vast majority of them never see one anyway.
                        U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                        Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                        I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                        But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                        Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                        Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Somehow that may have been the founders intent. To allow a somewhat equal representation of the states. No?

To want something else is to not want the united states of america
                          Even if we allocated all of a states electorates to the winner of the overall popular vote in the presidential election, the smaller states would still be "over represented" as the ratio of senator/congress to population as compared to the larger states.

Comment

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post

OK, I'll be devil's advocate. If nobody lives in them, why does that matter? Shouldn't the candidates go where people live? It's We the People, not We the Amber Waves of Grain.

Or is there something about the people who live in cities that is less worthy of attention. Something. Wait a bit, it'll come to me...
                            Cornell University
                            National Champion 1967, 1970
                            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
                              Even if we allocated all of a states electorates to the winner of the overall popular vote in the presidential election, the smaller states would still be "over represented" as the ratio of senator/congress to population as compared to the larger states.
                              Maybe we should keep the Senate but redraw the states every hundred years. I don't know about you, but I'd love to cut California down to size. And while geographical diversity is still a (much diminished) thing economically, I would love to hear a compelling reason why we shouldn't combine ND, SD and NE, or MT, ID, WY. If you want to tell me they are in some respects different, I give you Brooklyn vs Potsdam, or San Francisco vs Bakersfield.

The other way to ensure that everyone is represented equally is to get rid of the states, get rid of the Senate, and simply have a House with 435 exactly equal districts redrawn every election by a computer program.

There is plenty of stuff we could do now that they couldn't do in 1789.
                              Last edited by Kepler; 11-11-2016, 05:47 PM.
                              Cornell University
                              National Champion 1967, 1970
                              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                                Maybe we should keep the Senate but redraw the states every hundred years. I don't know about you, but I'd love to cut California down to size. And while geographical diversity is still a (much diminished) thing economically, I would love to hear a compelling reason why we shouldn't combine ND, SD and NE, or MT, ID, WY. If you want to tell me they are in some respects different, I give you Brooklyn vs Potsdam, or San Francisco vs Bakersfield.

The other way to ensure that everyone is represented equally is to get rid of the states, get rid of the Senate, and simply have a House with 435 exactly equal districts redrawn every election by a computer program.

There is plenty of stuff we could do now that they couldn't do in 1789.
                                state's rights

Comment

Working...
                                X