• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mookie1995
    replied
    Originally posted by unofan View Post
    Ok. But they are still overrepresented.
    Somehow that may have been the founders intent. To allow a somewhat equal representation of the states. No?

To want something else is to not want the united states of america

Leave a comment:

• unofan
    replied
    Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
    Not wyomings fault
    Ok. But they are still overrepresented.

Leave a comment:

• The Sicatoka
    replied
    Re: Presidential Election Prediction Thread

Because Wyoming has about 150k people per electoral vote, while California it's more like 500k.
    Like I posted somewhere around here we were about 125,000 votes (in MI, WI, AZ total) from 269-269.

Imagine the confusion/faux rage/furor when the House has 50 votes (States) for 435 members.

Leave a comment:

• mookie1995
    replied
    Because Wyoming has about 150k people per electoral vote, while California it's more like 500k.
    Not wyomings fault

Leave a comment:

• unofan
    replied
    Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
    How does 3+3 get more weight than 55?

Leave a comment:

• FlagDUDE08
    replied

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
    I've been saying on this board for years that the wrong army won the civil war. This election proves it.
    The Civil War was fabricated by the Rothschild brothers (at the time), and actually had a lot to do with banking, as well as slavery. With two "more manageable" countries, they'd be easier to take over. Obviously they scored a huge victory in 1913. Now people are waking up and starting to want to dump centralization.

Leave a comment:

• joecct
    replied
    Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
    See that's the problem with the electoral college though. Just as you're doing, if they live in x location...they kind of don't count. Believe me, people in CA, NY, IL, TX are already paying. Their votes don't count. Because only swing states count. Additionally, those states are double penalized. Because of the electoral system small states like WY and AK get more representation than big states on an impact on the electoral college.

So while you're trying to downplay the impact of these voters because of where they live (which I would argue doesn't make much sense)...they're already getting a diminished amount of electoral votes in regions of the map that have no impact on choosing the president.
    I live in MD. The last time my vote counted towards the Electoral College was 1984. It is what it is.

Leave a comment:

• FreshFish
    replied

See that's the problem with the electoral college though. Just as you're doing, if they live in x location...they kind of don't count. Believe me, people in CA, NY, IL, TX are already paying. Their votes don't count. Because only swing states count. Additionally, those states are double penalized. Because of the electoral system small states like WY and AK get more representation than big states on an impact on the electoral college.

So while you're trying to downplay the impact of these voters because of where they live (which I would argue doesn't make much sense)...they're already getting a diminished amount of electoral votes in regions of the map that have no impact on choosing the president.
    What you see as a problem was intended by the Founders to be a feature.

The Electoral College was specifically designed to make sure that a person had broad-based national support to become President of the entire nation. You might disagree but that is what they intended. They were obsessively concerned about factions and about demagogues. They did not want a few concentrated population centers to be able to dominate national politics.

It is the same reason that each state has two Senators regardless of population. To protect minorities from the tyranny of the majority.

PS an odd choice of words for you, "downplay." It was purely descriptive: here are numbers. By design I repressed my urge to add spurious commentary, so that the numbers would stand alone all by themselves as pure data points.

Leave a comment:

• ScoobyDoo
    replied

I haven't had a chance to check this either. But I've heard that if you eliminate the deep south, Clinton wins in a major landslide.
    I've been saying on this board for years that the wrong army won the civil war. This election proves it.

Leave a comment:

• joecct
    replied
    I haven't had a chance to check this either. But I've heard that if you eliminate the deep south, Clinton wins in a major landslide.
    Eliminate the coasts and Trump wins in a walk.

Hmmm.. Maybe there is a method to his stance on climate change...

Leave a comment:

• mookie1995
    replied

How does 3+3 get more weight than 55?

Leave a comment:

• FlagDUDE08
    replied

So you're basically saying you want to abolish states and create mob rule? We've already done away with the 17th amendment, after all...

Leave a comment:

• 5mn_Major
    replied

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
    Right, if you only count the Northeast and the west coast, that is certainly true.

Here is a great website for voter turnout data: http://www.electproject.org/home/vot...r-turnout-data

It leads you to state websites.

IL had no link.
    CA: HRC 5.6 million, DJT 3.0 million
    NY: HRC 4.1 million, DJT 2.6 million
    For those two states, because of rounding, HRC 9.7 million, DJT 5.7 million. or 4.0 million more.

Nationally: HRC 60.3 million, DJT 59.9 million. or 0.4 million less. So even if you look only at NY and CA, then in the rest of the country Trump has 3.6 million more votes.

Leave a comment:

• Runsub5
    replied

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post

During his first term, Trump will have a list of things he wants to accomplish, and he will accomplish them all.........
    Much of it is campaign rhetoric. It will be interesting to see what his agenda is and how successful he will be at achieving it. He maybe too busy tracking down a couple of interns Bill Clinton told him about.

Leave a comment:

• FreshFish
    replied

Right, if you only count the Northeast and the west coast, that is certainly true.

Here is a great website for voter turnout data: http://www.electproject.org/home/vot...r-turnout-data

It leads you to state websites.

IL had no link.
    CA: HRC 5.6 million, DJT 3.0 million
    NY: HRC 4.1 million, DJT 2.6 million
    For those two states, because of rounding, HRC 9.7 million, DJT 5.7 million. or 4.0 million more.

Nationally: HRC 60.3 million, DJT 59.9 million. or 0.4 million less. So even if you look only at NY and CA, then in the rest of the country Trump has 3.6 million more votes.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X