No announcement yet.

Hey Massachusetts! Coakley or Brown?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hey Massachusetts! Coakley or Brown?

Originally posted by Old Pio View Post
    Perhaps. That's because we all know what can happen in a one party gulag.
    I find myself hesitant to proclaim victory or even confidence in victory, but Jeebus, the evidence is there. For instance, overnight polling seems to show that the president's visit actually hurt her (the venue was 1/3 empty, and the only way they got people there was with promises of transportation, refreshments and food--not exactly the enthusiasm we saw in November of 08).
    ******* width="425" height="344">****** name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/lrNrLly1vvM&hl=en_US&fs=1&">****** name="allowFullScreen" value="true">****** name="allowscriptaccess" value="always">****** src="http://www.youtube.com/v/lrNrLly1vvM&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344">
    If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cloud View Post
      It should be telling that the news this morning isn't really that Brown is expected to win, it's that he's "got a shot." Any other candidate polling the way Brown has polled in the last week would be reported on as being the likely winner, but not in Massachusett(e)s.
      I think there's been a slow comprehension of what's going on. Sort of like when Thomas Andrews reported to Captain Smith that the Titanic had a couple of hours to live, and the realization set in that they were way short of space in the lifeboats. Oops.
      2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

Originally posted by geezer View Post
        Most of this isn't bad spin, actually, except this: moving too quickly on health care with closed-door negotiations, etc. and trying to ram a bill through without opening it up for more input and debate is exactly what led to this "scare". A better lesson to learn: listen to the people!
        See, I think the problem is listening too much to the people, the WHARGRBL crowd who is scared of anything and everything because they're the 50% of the country with IQ's below 100.

When the GOP's line on healthcare is possibly the largest contradiction in politics - "Public health care bad! Medicare good!" - you can't convince me that the public who actually buys into it knows what they're talking about. (since when is the GOP the proponent of medicare?) They're simply running scared, and unfortunately, it's working.

The health care bill sucks, but the "town halls" (which were really just means of people getting to yell at politicians and look like uncivil idiots in the process) did nothing to fix it, if anything they made it worse as politicians lost what little spine they had and caved in. Further public input isn't going to fix it, either. It'll just kill it for good. And then we'll be left with the same cluster**** of a system that we've got now.

As far as this election in Mass.? Frankly, I think it might have more to do with the state dems doing everything they can to keep that seat a D, even "cheating" (well, changing the rules as they go) to do so. At least some of it has got to be a backlash to Teddy's "plan" allowing the governor to appoint an interim senator after he had personally gotten the rule changed when Romney was governor to prevent just that.

A similar type of thing cost Ben Nelson his first time around here in Nebraska; he had promised during his re-election campaign for governor that he wouldn't leave early, then turned around and ran for the senate anyway. Lost in an upset to Hagel.

Originally posted by Old Pio View Post
        Pause for a moment and consider what we're anticiapting. That Barack Obama's outrageous, bloated, costly health care "reform" bill, that the Democrats have made more deals than Monte Hall to get to this point, may be about to go down in flames. Why? Because the senate seat once occupied by the Hero of Chappaquiddick (a man who made health care "reform" the centerpiece of his senate career) is going to change hands, to a REPUBLICAN.

The "ironyometer" hasn't been made that can measure this one.
        The irony is really that if Teddy had resigned early enough so that the special election could've been held earlier, his seat wouldn't have been in doubt.
        Last edited by unofan; 01-19-2010, 10:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
          See, I think the problem is listening too much to the people, the WHARGRBL crowd who is scared of anything and everything because they're the 50% of the country with IQ's below 100.
          I urge you to reconsider this attitude with the question in mind of, "what could possibly have happened to Barry's popularity?"
          Nancy, Barry and Harry haven't learned this yet, but the truth is that someone's intelligence isn't indicated by how often they agree with you on controversial issues (like the advisability of decimating the best health care system in the world).
          Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
          USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

I urge you to reconsider this attitude with the question in mind of, "what could possibly have happened to Barry's popularity?"
            Nancy, Barry and Harry haven't learned this yet, but the truth is that someone's intelligence isn't indicated by how often they agree with you on controversial issues (like the advisability of decimating the best health care system in the world).
            It's only the "Best health care system in the world" if you have access to it. I'm lucky in that I have that access. Millions of Americans don't (and no, the use of the ER as one's sole medical provider does not count as access, especially when it bankrupts you in the process).

Also, just because the system may be the best doesn't mean it's perfect and cannot be improved upon.

But I digress, this is about the election. If you want to discuss the health care fiasco, there's dozens of other threads on that.

But I will tell you this. I'm an old school fiscal conservative, so claiming that I think people are stupid because they disagree with me would be hilarious, since it's political position without a party at the moment (and if you think the current GOP is the party for fiscal conservatives, I'll laugh in your face as you do it). I think people are stupid because, generally, people are stupid. It may be shocking, but roughly half of all Americans have below average intelligence. And average intelligence isn't exactly great.
            Last edited by unofan; 01-19-2010, 11:07 AM.

Comment

It's only the "Best health care system in the world" if you have access to it. I'm lucky in that I have that access. Millions of Americans don't (and no, the use of the ER as one's sole medical provider does not count as access, especially when it bankrupts you in the process).
              That's a myth. I've been there. There are millions of people who don't buy insurance because they can't afford it or don't want it. When the worst happens (for me, it was a fall from a roof) we have workers comp, medicaid and other programs already in place to fill the gaps. So, not having coverage doesn't equal no access to coverage.
              Also, just because the system may be the best doesn't mean it's perfect and cannot be improved upon.
              I agree. But in this case they're going after the wrong targets, and foolishly trying to add costly new layers of regulation where we should be reducing costs.
              claiming that I think people are stupid because they disagree with me would be hilarious
              if that wasn't your claim, I apologize.
              Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
              USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

According to the WSJ health stocks are up on the possibility of Brown winning.
                You know you go to UMaine if...

...you think Bananas is a good name for a giant bear.
                ...you would riot after hockey games but its too darn cold.
                ...you think hockey is the only sport that matters.
                ...you hate UNH.

Comment

Originally posted by Maineiak View Post
                  According to the WSJ health stocks are up on the possibility of Brown winning.
                  Thats interesting considering they had a big jump when the Senate passed its bill too.

My take is that passage would be good for them in the short-term, but failure is better in the long-run.
                  "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." - Frederic Bastiat

Comment

By hook or by crook.

Behind in the polls to Republican Senate candidate Scott Brown, supporters of pro-abortion candidate Martha Coakley have evidentially reached into their bag of dirty tricks. A Washington, D.C. based company is making calls to Massachusetts residents pretending to represent a prominent pro-life group.

The calls, from 202-461-3441, a Washington number registered to a company called SOOH, claim to be from Massachusetts Citizens for Life.

The caller claims the pro-life group is opposing Scott Brown because of his stance against the health care bill, but as MCFL president Anne Fox told LifeNews.com late Monday, the opposite is true.

“Pro-lifers are receiving phone calls from people claiming to be Massachusetts Citizens for Life. The callers say that MCFL is not supporting Scott Brown because of his position on health care,” she said. “The truth is that Massachusetts Citizens for Life is supporting Brown because of his position on health care.”

The same number is also making calls to other state residents with various messages all attacking Brown.

“Pro-lifers are not the only victims of this scam. Our MCFL sleuths have found that this same number is calling people across the state claiming to be different groups with different messages — all anti-Brown,” Fox added.
                    Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

• Re: Hey Massachusetts! Coakley or Brown?

That's a myth. I've been there. There are millions of people who don't buy insurance because they can't afford it or don't want it. When the worst happens (for me, it was a fall from a roof) we have workers comp, medicaid and other programs already in place to fill the gaps. So, not having coverage doesn't equal no access to coverage.
                      did you just decry universal healthcare using a universal healthcare system (medicaid) in your argument?
                      “Unless you’re Boston College, you don’t get here every year.”

Pinhead Nation: "gone" but not forgotten

Originally posted by shrader
                      Admin, do you still hate BC? If not, will darin and MAV ever be freed? If you do still hate BC, why is SteveF allowed to post?
                      Hockey East Champions: 1987, 1990, 1998, 1999, 2001, 2005, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012
                      National Champions: 1949, 2001, 2008, 2010, 2012

Comment

Originally posted by SteveF View Post
                        did you just decry universal healthcare using a universal healthcare system (medicaid) in your argument?
                        I think what he was getting at was that further universal healthcare, quite frankly, is overkill.

Comment

I think what he was getting at was that further universal healthcare, quite frankly, is overkill.
                          Death Panel?
                          CCT '77 & '78
                          4 kids
                          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

except that not everyone is eligible for medicaid - which he obviously sees as important for people who dont have health insurance. which was the crux of the original point.
                            “Unless you’re Boston College, you don’t get here every year.”

Pinhead Nation: "gone" but not forgotten

Originally posted by shrader
                            Admin, do you still hate BC? If not, will darin and MAV ever be freed? If you do still hate BC, why is SteveF allowed to post?
                            Hockey East Champions: 1987, 1990, 1998, 1999, 2001, 2005, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012
                            National Champions: 1949, 2001, 2008, 2010, 2012

Comment

Originally posted by SteveF View Post
                              except that not everyone is eligible for medicaid - which he obviously sees as important for people who dont have health insurance. which was the crux of the original point.
                              Right. He's saying that some people who aren't covered could be covered by existing programs. They simply have not signed up for them.

Comment

Coakley might actually be winning if she didn't run the most malevolently evil campaign since Genghis Khan starting pouring molten silver into people's faces.
                                This campaign can't end soon enough.

"I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ."
                                -Blackadder
                                "I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here. "
                                -Casablanca
                                "They could maybe hire another officer to catch the illegal immigrant drug dealers breast feeding at Dunkin' Donuts or whatever it is! Thank you!"
                                -Somerville Speakout

2008 POTY

Comment

Working...
                                X