Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Monday Night Fight Night

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
    One minor, technical point: stop, question, and frisk is constitutional, according to SCOTUS. They laid out strict and limited rules under which it is acceptable.

The NY City judge who tried to rule otherwise* was slapped down hard by the 2nd Circuit Court of Appeals, and was removed from jurisdiction over the case because of her obvious and publicly-stated anti-police bias. The Appeals Court gave clear indication that they'd overrule her on appeal. Then there was an election and the new mayor decided to drop the appeal that they otherwise would have won.

* Her ruling was not that stop, question, and frisk itself was unconstitutional, she "merely" ruled that the way NYC was applying the rule was unconstitutional because, in her opinion, a disproportionate number of minorities was being stopped. However, it appears that the number of minorities being stopped was indeed proportionate to the number of minorities who were committing crimes out of the population as a whole.
    That last line is complete and utter bulls_it. It's a cute attempt to frame a statistic that says something very different. Minorities are more likely to be arrested, more likely to be convicted, and more likely to be convicted of more serious charges for the same crime than whites.
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Originally posted by SanTropez
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Originally posted by Kepler
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

As for the rest of the post, I have no idea if that's true or not. I'll leave that to the legal minds.
      Code:
      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
      Originally posted by SanTropez
      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
      Originally posted by Kepler
      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
        As for the rest of the post, I have no idea if that's true or not. I'll leave that to the legal minds.
        The fact that he is downplaying a Federal District Judge by calling her a NY City judge as though she's on the same level as Harry Stone from Night Court should tell you enough.

Edit: oh for fark's sake, he's citing Rudy farking Giuliani as his support?

Obvious troll is obvious.
        Last edited by unofan; 09-28-2016, 02:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
          ... the same level as Harry Stone from Night Court should tell you enough.
          Don't dis Harry or he'll send one of his scary bailiffs after you.
          The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

• Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
            Don't dis Harry or he'll send one of his scary bailiffs after you.
            I'd settle for the public defender.
            CCT '77 & '78
            4 kids
            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
              I'd settle for the public defender.
              I assume you mean Season 3+.
              The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

• Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
                I assume you mean Season 3+.
                The 2nd one (Ellen Foley) was the female lead on "Paradise by the Dashboard Light"
                CCT '77 & '78
                4 kids
                5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                  That last line is complete and utter bulls_it. It's a cute attempt to frame a statistic that says something very different. Minorities are more likely to be arrested, more likely to be convicted, and more likely to be convicted of more serious charges for the same crime than whites.
                  Despite this being quoted from the WSJ editorial by Giulliani, it is pretty accurate. I knew this before and I don't live in NYC. I'm not certain if Holt had a complete grip on it or not.

Judge Schiendlin was in fact removed from the case by the appellate court for "the appearance of impropriety", specifically because from interviews she gave one might reasonably conclude she was biased toward the plaintiffs. At issue wasn't the so called "Terry stops" which are legal everywhere and are codified in many state's laws, but rather NYC PD's implementation of stop and frisk and whether it was racially biased in the way they were doing it. Schiendlin concluded it was, but then again, she was essentially removed for demonstrating bias towards that conclusion already, which makes it all awfully muddy. NYC did indeed elect a new mayor and dropped the appeal as Trump claimed.

The thing about the racial bias is that the statistics that NYC was prepared to use weren't based on conviction rates or arrests of minorities as you criticize here. It was in fact based on crime victim statements which showed that "Eighty-three percent of the suspects reported by crime victims were black and Hispanic" and that "there’s a close correlation between the demographics of the people the officers have stopped and the persons having been reported as having committed crimes" by victims. That method would seem more likely to remove most of the perceived or real arrest and conviction bias on the part of authorities.
                  Originally posted by WiscTJK
                  I'm with Wisko and Tim.
                  Originally posted by Timothy A
                  Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

• Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
                    Despite this being quoted from the WSJ editorial by Giulliani, it is pretty accurate. I knew this before and I don't live in NYC. I'm not certain if Holt had a complete grip on it or not.

Judge Schiendlin was in fact removed from the case by the appellate court for "the appearance of impropriety", specifically because from interviews she gave one might reasonably conclude she was biased toward the plaintiffs. At issue wasn't the so called "Terry stops" which are legal everywhere and are codified in many state's laws, but rather NYC PD's implementation of stop and frisk and whether it was racially biased in the way they were doing it. Schiendlin concluded it was, but then again, she was essentially removed for demonstrating bias towards that conclusion already, which makes it all awfully muddy. NYC did indeed elect a new mayor and dropped the appeal as Trump claimed.

The thing about the racial bias is that the statistics that NYC was prepared to use weren't based on conviction rates or arrests of minorities as you criticize here. It was in fact based on crime victim statements which showed that "Eighty-three percent of the suspects reported by crime victims were black and Hispanic" and that "there’s a close correlation between the demographics of the people the officers have stopped and the persons having been reported as having committed crimes" by victims. That method would seem more likely to remove most of the perceived or real arrest and conviction bias on the part of authorities.
                    She was removed from the case because she gave interviews after her initial ruling, which was stupid to do on her part but hardly implicates the ruling itself since it had already been made. What the interviews did was prevent it from going back to her on remand.

And the fact remains that she found NYC's practice to be unconstitutional, and that decision was not overturned.
                    Last edited by unofan; 09-28-2016, 03:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by unofun View Post
                      Obvious troll is obvious.

Let's make sure we understand you: are you saying that SCOTUS did not issue a ruling called Terry v Ohio?

Perhaps you are saying that, although SCOTUS did issue Terry v Ohio, that it did not declare stop and frisk to be constitutional? Gee, the ACLU seems to disagree with you....I thought you lawyers were supposed to be familiar with Supreme Court precedents, no?

http://www.acluohio.org/archives/cases/terry-v-ohio

In June 1968, the United States Supreme Court affirmed the conviction and set a precedent that allows police officers to interrogate and frisk suspicious individuals without probable cause for an arrest, providing that the officer can articulate a reasonable basis for the stop and frisk
                      Perhaps you are saying that the 2nd Circuit Court of Appeals did not rebuke Judge Sheindlin and remove her from the case?

The New York Times reported otherwise:

That decision and the remedies the judge ordered were stayed by the panel’s Oct. 31 decision, and the new ruling, by the same panel of the United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit, does not lift that stay. That means Judge Scheindlin’s rulings remain blocked unless, for example, the city’s appeal is withdrawn, a step Mayor-elect Bill de Blasio has promised to take after he is sworn in on Jan. 1.

But in the opinion issued late Wednesday, the three-judge panel seemed eager to explain its terse Oct. 31 order, in which it bluntly declared that Judge Scheindlin “ran afoul” of the judicial code of conduct by appearing to steer the stop-and-frisk litigation to her docket in 2007 and by giving press interviews while the case was pending. The judge’s actions had compromised “the appearance of impartiality surrounding this litigation,” the panel had said.

The panel did not back away from its earlier conclusion that certain actions by the judge related to how the stop-and-frisk lawsuit ended up before her would lead “a reasonable observer” to “conclude that the appearance of impartiality had been compromised.” Those actions, combined with her press statements, the panel said, could lead such an observer to “question the impartiality of the judge.”
                      So the only basis for your complaint is that, because my only mistake was to mis-identified which kind of court the judge presided in, that nothing else was correct? Wow, I thought lawyers had the ability to think and reason and do research. Maybe only some of them, eh?
                      "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
                        She was removed from the case because she gave interviews after her initial ruling, which was stupid to do on her part but hardly implicates the ruling itself since it had already been made. What the interviews did was prevent it from going back to her on remand.

And the fact remains that she found NYC's practice to be unconstitutional, and that decision was not overturned.
                        Stop it your facts are ruining his point
                        "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                        -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                        -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                        -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                          Let's make sure we understand you: are you saying that SCOTUS did not issue a ruling called Terry v Ohio?

Perhaps you are saying that, although SCOTUS did issue Terry v Ohio, that it did not declare stop and frisk to be constitutional? Gee, the ACLU seems to disagree with you....I thought you lawyers were supposed to be familiar with Supreme Court precedents, no?

http://www.acluohio.org/archives/cases/terry-v-ohio

Perhaps you are saying that the 2nd Circuit Court of Appeals did not rebuke Judge Sheindlin and remove her from the case?

The New York Times reported otherwise:

So the only basis for your complaint is that, because my only mistake was to mis-identified which kind of court the judge presided in, that nothing else was correct? Wow, I thought lawyers had the ability to think and reason and do research. Maybe only some of them, eh?
                          Stop and frisk:Terry stops::checking from behind:body checking

Just because body checking is legal in hockey doesn't mean all forms and variations of it are legal. In fact, some are explicitly illegal.

Just because police are allowed to perform Terry stops under certain conditions doesn't mean all programs where police search a suspect for weapons are constitutional. In fact, some are explicitly forbidden by the 4th and 14th Amendments.

But go ahead, keep drinking the kool-aid.
                          Last edited by unofan; 09-28-2016, 03:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                            Regular people who live in minority communities in NYC are the people who were asking the police to engage in stop and frisk in order to make those communities safer. Perhaps you are annoyed by the way I tried to phrase that observation; your answer is not quite responding to the fact that the residents of minority communities were supportive of stop and frisk because it reduced gun-related crime in their neighborhoods. Criminals stopped carrying guns as a result of the program.

One really weird part of this setup is that gun control advocates say we have to get illegal guns off the streets, and stop, question, and frisk has plenty of empirical evidence to show that it works in getting illegal guns off the streets. Yet gun control advocates seem really silent on that last part.
                            "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                              Regular people who live in minority communities in NYC are the people who were asking the police to engage in stop and frisk in order to make those communities safer.
                              Meh ... they're probably Trump voters.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
                                Meh ... they're probably Trump voters.
                                Trump? Oh yeah, he's the one on coke, right?
                                Originally posted by WiscTJK
                                I'm with Wisko and Tim.
                                Originally posted by Timothy A
                                Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Working...
                                X