X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Campaign 2016 Part XIX: Escape from the Planet of Debates

Originally posted by Rover View Post
    This a long but surprisingly good summary out of Tiger Beat on the Potomac about the e-mail/server issue. Sic, you're SOL on this one I'm afraid.

http://www.politico.com/magazine/sto...ent-fbi-214307
    Her server was hacked at least once.
    In January 2013, the Clinton server saw what the FBI determined was its only known “successful compromise.”
    But my favorite is this:
    On March 14, a hacker known as “Guccifer,” a 40-something Romanian taxi driver named Marcel Lazăr Lehel, found in another account he’d cracked an email address belonging to Sidney Blumenthal, a longtime Clinton aide and confidant. ... Guccifer was not a technically sophisticated hacker, relying instead on patience and research to crack users’ passwords and security questions; he later told authorities that he spent six months to get inside the email of a Romanian politician, Corina Cretu. Blumenthal’s email was much easier: He told the FBI he spent only 20 minutes on research and guessing before he was able to successfully reset Blumenthal’s password by answering a security challenge question.
    That's some awesome security.

PS - The Blumenthal hack?
    Security question: What's your daddy's first name? Answer: Hillary.

PPS - The media talks about Guccifer like he's some sort of mastermind organized hacker, "Danny Ocean" of the internet. That says he's a plain old brute force "smash-and-grab" thief.
    Last edited by The Sicatoka; 09-30-2016, 10:15 AM.
    The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
      Its a start
      What's Hillary's BMI, or is that off limits because she's female? Wait, wouldn't that be sexist?
      The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
        What's Hillary's BMI, or is that off limits because she's female? Wait, wouldn't that be sexist?
        Nah you ripped Donald you are good.
        "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
        -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
        -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
        -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

The more I look at this election cycle the more I'm sure Ross Perot is somewhere, rocking in a chair, murmuring to himself, "24 years too early, 24 years too d*mn early ... "

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Donald is a slut (see: Marla Maples), and his BMI is too high (medical records from last week) so he's fat.

How'd I do?
            On the first one, it's none of our business, though I'd call a man who needs to use money to get women to sleep with him a "john."

On the second, Feinstein beat you to it.
            Cornell University
            National Champion 1967, 1970
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

The more I look at this election cycle the more I'm sure Ross Perot is somewhere, rocking in a chair, murmuring to himself, "24 years too early, 24 years too d*mn early ... "
              Is Perot still alive? I have no idea.

Thing is, even though I started out thinking this election was Giant Dou-ch v Turd Sandwich, I don't anymore. Clinton has been impressive. If she wins I'll be OK with it.

We're coming off the most inspirational president since JFK, so anyone would be a come down. But Hillary strikes me as a pragmatic and highly competent manager. I think she may function better in a political arena than Obama, who is more suited to an intellectual meritocracy like academia. Don't get me wrong, I rate Obama's presidency as a solid A, but what he made up in idealism he gave back with naivete, at least the first few years.

Say what one will about Hillary. There is literally no person on Earth who would call her "naive."
              Last edited by Kepler; 09-30-2016, 10:32 AM.
              Cornell University
              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Her server was hacked at least once.
                From the article: "According to the FBI’s forensic investigation later, on January 5, the account of a member of Bill Clinton’s staff—who all shared the server with Hillary’s email—was broken into by someone using the anonymizing software Tor. Over the course of the day, three known Tor IP addresses accessed the site and the intruder browsed through the staffer’s email folders and attachments. The FBI said it was “unable to identify the actor(s) responsible,” but that the damage, as far as it could tell, was limited to that lone staffer’s email that one day. And, by the end of the month, Hillary Clinton’s tenure as secretary of state had ended;

PS - The Blumenthal hack?
                Security question: What's your daddy's first name? Answer: Hillary.
                Huh. I could have swore Blumenthal was a private citizen at the time. Why would his own e-mail being hacked have anything to do with her server?

For a guy who says he's not voting for Trump... you know the rest!
                Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                  Is Perot still alive? I have no idea.
                  I had to look it up. His Wiki page does not list a date of death.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Believe Ross is still with us. Gave a kick a ss commencement speech at my graduation back in the day!
                    Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
                      The FBI said it was “unable to identify the actor(s) responsible,” but that the damage, as far as it could tell, was limited to that lone staffer’s email that one day.

Huh. I could have swore Blumenthal was a private citizen at the time. Why would his own e-mail being hacked have anything to do with her server?
                      Do you understand how an email server works? It's a machine (computer) that has software to manage multiple email accounts for one or more domain (the @whatever.org part of the address). If you hack into one "@whatever.org" email address, you've hacked into the server. How far you got beyond that account is another story, but you were on the server.

Where was Sid's email account hosted? I assumed it was on the "clintonmail" domain. I could be wrong.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Do you understand how an email server works? It's a machine (computer) that has software to manage multiple email accounts for one or more domain (the @whatever.org part of the address). If you hack into one "@whatever.org" email address, you've hacked into the server. How far you got beyond that account is another story, but you were on the server.

Where was Sid's email account hosted? I assumed it was on the "clintonmail" domain. I could be wrong.
                        I thought the server is software running on the physical box, and it is entirely possible to have a breach in one part but not another part, just like you can wipe one partition but not another?
                        Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                          I thought the server is software running on the physical box, and it is entirely possible to have a breach in one part but not another part, just like you can wipe one partition but not another?
                          Technically, if you are virtualized, yes, the server in that case would be the operating system and software instance. The physical hardware (the server) may host multiple virtualized (software) servers. However, if the accounts are in the same domain (@wherever) that's the server.

If I have hardware and have virtualized it to two servers, each separately hosting email domains (@Kepler and @Sica), if someone hacks my email are they on your "server"? The hardware, yes; the virtualized instance supporting your domain, no.
                          Last edited by The Sicatoka; 09-30-2016, 10:40 AM.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Technically, if you are virtualized, yes, the server in that case would be the operating system and software instance and the physical hardware (the server) may host multiple virtualized (software) servers.

However, if the accounts are in the same domain (@wherever) that's the server.
                            Hacking into one email account doesn't give you server access. It doesn't even give you access to other accounts. I've been running email for 20 years now. I know.
                            **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                            Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                              Hacking into one email account doesn't give you server access.
                              It depends on what you find in that email account.

And, when you're in that account you can do various things to figure out how the account, and thus the server it's on, is set up. Getting into an email account on a server of interest is the camel's nose under the tent. (I used to work for a company that literally offered classes on hacking to help improve our software design and testing.)

My favorite technique still is dropping SQL queries directly into form textboxes and seeing what errors come back (and what that tells you).

All of the proceeding is done by me strictly legally in testing my or other software I am approved to challenge.
                              Last edited by The Sicatoka; 09-30-2016, 10:48 AM.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

The article doesn't go into enough detail to know whether the server was actually compromised in any meaningful way. A hack on an individual email account could simply mean someone gained access to that account's credentials.

Comment

Working...
                                X