X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Campaign 2016 Part XIX: Escape from the Planet of Debates

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    I have a pension. I was hired 26 days before my company stopped offering them.

Any day now they're going to freeze them even for legacies, though.
    I have one as well. Vesting occurs after 5 years. Almost everyone in my industry still has a defined benefit plan. They offer what has become the now traditional defined contribution plan as well, but because of the pension do not offer an employer match.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
      And it looks like the moderator has become just as much of the story. Candy Crowley has been one-upped.

http://nypost.com/2016/09/26/lester-...-of-impartial/
      http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/in...rticle/2602939
      When you start ******ing about the referees, that means you're losing.
      What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
        One of the bigger problems: Too many people don't write down their wishes (Medical POA and/or living will). I say that as someone who has acted under one and is acting under another (plus a full fiduciary and guardianship POA). It sounds cruel and terrible, but knew exactly what the wishes were and ensured they were carried out.

If more people actually thought about it I believe it (cost of prolonged care for irreparable situations) would solve itself.
        It's not cruel or terrible at all. It's the right thing to do. I think parents are starting to figure it out and plan and involve their kids not to put them through hell. My parents' generation (now in their 90s) was awful about it. Combined with their general Depression Era reticence that made every godd-amn decision 20x more difficult, plus the overdetermining effed up attitudes towards everything from religion to illness to self-reliance that characterizes the neuroses of that generation, it made it impossible to have a conversation about these issues. The next generation down is a lot less f-cked up in the head, at least about this.
        Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
          Lesbian Trump supporter slams gay Clinton campaign manager Mook

Mook? Mook? Would friends call him, or would he post under the name ... mookie?
          Gay?!?!?!?
          a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
            Gay?!?!?!?
            Not that ...
            The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Somewhat amusing, Fox execs telling staff not to mention on-line polls because they don't meet the network's editorial standards.

http://www.politico.com/blogs/on-med...e-polls-228836
              Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                Interesting, we're exactly the same. I've tried to explain this as "power functions right, detail functions left" or "below the belt left, above the belt right," but neither is exactly accurate.

Apparently while we're rare we're not the super-duper freaks. Those are the folks like us but exactly reversed -- i.e., right-handed writing, left-handed tennis etc... IIRC we are about 1% of the population while they are .1% of the population.
                My uncle describes things well for several of us in my family: Mechanically left-handed, electronically right-handed. I write and do sports left-handed, but send Morse code, use a mouse, and play instruments right-handed. By no means, though, am I ambidextrous. Perhaps the way you describe may be a little more accurate, as I will use a can opener or pencil sharpener right-handed. Funny thing is, left-handed people make really good console game players because control of the character is much more important than actions.

It may be a lot more common than we'd think...

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
                  When you start ******ing about the referees, that means you're losing.
                  Oh, I've complained about them after wins...

Comment

I dvr'd the debate, which I haven't watched yet, but caught the first 45 minutes or so live. For what its worth, I could really see Trump's appeal to the electorate, with his attacks on do-nothing government, bad trade agreements, wasteful spending, jobs going to Mexico, etc. If I felt like he cared about any of that, and wasn't just saying it to get elected, I could see why people would support him. But he doesn't and his whole "we're gonna fix that" schtick for after he gets elected isn't a plan for doing so.

But you could see him getting pizzy after the first 2o minutes or so, and he didn't help himself in split screen shots with that sour look on his face, like someone just farted and he's stuck there smelling it. I also don't think he helped himself with his "That's business" interjection when Hillary was talking about people losing their houses. That isn't gonna sit well with the average working man who thinks big business takes advantage of the little man already, nor will the fact that he stiffs people out of being paid for work they do for him.

Nor "that makes me smart" comment when talking about paying no taxes. What's that make everyone that pays taxes, stupid? So pretty much most of the country is stupid in his eyes. Notice he never even countered the charge that he doesn't pay taxes, just that it makes him smart not to do so.

Hillary was totally on point most of the night, and whether that appeals to the undecideds, I don't know. But she dominated the man who doesn't like to be dominated, and she controlled the terms of the debate, putting him on the defensive. I don't see him improving either, or tempering his style, but rather the opposite, doubling down on the nasty and aggressive to try to dominate her. And it won't look pretty.

Comment

Lol: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...&ICID=ref_fark

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                      iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                      gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                      Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                      Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                      TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                      DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
                        You were an idiot long before we had this conversation Scoobs.

Moving on, I'm seeing this recurring theme out of Trump that he'll bring up Bill Clinton's cheating in the next debate. Does anybody else see how easily this is going to get thrown in his face? Isn't he on his 3rd wife and he knocked up his girlfriend and future wife Marla Maples while still married to his first wife? So an adulterer is going to go after a woman who got cheated on? Ummm....okay...
                        No. He keeps talking about it, but he'll never do it to her face, because he's a bully and a coward. Like how he never mentioned The Wall to the Mexican president, but it was all he talked about in the days after the meeting. The same with that Michigan pastor, etc. he talks a big game, but when it comes to dealing with those he talks about, he cowers. All he is is talk.

Not a good trait in someone you want representing your country's interests on the global stage.

Comment

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
                          Currently Trump has no power either; however, he's a cult of personality guy, he can read the sentiments of a crowd. You and others in the crowd putting that out there emboldens guys like him to say it and try to do it.
                          So you never quite grasped the idea of how thought /= action. Drumpf isnt getting anything but hate from his crowd.

Here let me break it down for you further...I am not advocating taking away rights from anyone (in fact I advocate for MORE rights for people unlike most on your side) but just because I think we should all have them doesnt mean we all deserve them. What someone deserves is not the same as what they have. A child molester deserves to have his balls cut off and fed to him, he has the right to not have that done to him which supersedes what he deserves.

But sure keep pretending what I said means what you think it does. Maybe that mediocre trollbaiting works at UND but not anywhere civilized
                          "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                          -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                          -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                          -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                            The spoiler is, Obamas buddies are making money on it, you hang out with the wrong crowd
                            Which buddies would those be? Like, the folks at Halliburton, or something?

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
                              I dvr'd the debate, which I haven't watched yet, but caught the first 45 minutes or so live. For what its worth, I could really see Trump's appeal to the electorate, with his attacks on do-nothing government, bad trade agreements, wasteful spending, jobs going to Mexico, etc.
                              Except EVERY candidate decries a do-nothing government, bad trade agreements, wasteful spending and jobs going anywhere offshore. And why shouldn't they? Whether you're left or right or Democratic or Republican, those are things you say you'll put a stop to. Other candidates have attempted a populist campaign, which if I stretch my generosity to limits it is not known to go to I can perhaps describe as Trump's m.o., yet they do not stay in the race until the final days, which Trump will do. Trump is appealing to a far more ugly vibe. The things you mention are not ugly at all, but legitimate campaign topics. The only reason Trump has an electoral pulse is because people who think like the stars of Duck Dynasty are simply a lot more prevalent than makes open minded people comfortable. There is 1000 times more hate and bigotry in every corner of this country than even I would have believed a year ago.

Comment

• It's incredible that elected officials who are supposed to be smarter than the average citizen are Internet illiterate. Not to mention horrible at basic fact checking.

Comment

Working...
                                X