X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Campaign 2016 Part XIX: Escape from the Planet of Debates

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
    Yes I do. There is a difference between me (a person with zero authority) saying it and him doing it. Keep trying though...
    Currently Trump has no power either; however, he's a cult of personality guy, he can read the sentiments of a crowd. You and others in the crowd putting that out there emboldens guys like him to say it and try to do it.
    The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
      My problem? I had a natural affinity for brass right away, anything brass, save for the garage door opener*. Then I found percussion; and then I made the mistake of picking up a bass. (To me the percussion and bass make sense with the math/physics part of my brain.)
      I have always wanted to try percussion. I am somewhat ambidextrous and I have a good sense of rhythm and timing so I think it would go well for me.

But I'm not putting my loved ones through that. Living with a drummer is like living here.
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
        Living with a drummer is like living under the Loop.
        " ... so often you won't even notice it ... " <-- I did that from memory. (An original movie poster is in my media room.)

Percussion. Grew up on farm. Or as Dad said, "I'll help you run power and set up an oil burner in the quanset."
        Last edited by The Sicatoka; 09-28-2016, 10:19 AM.
        The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

I have always wanted to try percussion. I am somewhat ambidextrous and I have a good sense of rhythm and timing so I think it would go well for me.

But I'm not putting my loved ones through that. Living with a drummer is like living here.
          I am ambidextrous. I can play hockey left or right handed (don't have an NCAA caliber shot either way mind you but I don't embarrass myself), I play golf and baseball right handed, I write left handed, and in my technician life I worked equally well with hand tools on either side. But put me in front of a drum kit and I would lose the rhythm by the third or fourth beat. Actually that's a lie. I'd lose the rhythm by the second beat.

Comment

Originally posted by WeAreNDHockey View Post
            I am ambidextrous. I can play hockey left or right handed (don't have an NCAA caliber shot either way mind you but I don't embarrass myself), I play golf and baseball right handed, I write left handed, and in my technician life I worked equally well with hand tools on either side.
            Interesting, we're exactly the same. I've tried to explain this as "power functions right, detail functions left" or "below the belt left, above the belt right," but neither is exactly accurate.

Apparently while we're rare we're not the super-duper freaks. Those are the folks like us but exactly reversed -- i.e., right-handed writing, left-handed tennis etc... IIRC we are about 1% of the population while they are .1% of the population.
            Cornell University
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
              And therein lies a problem. People used to retire which allowed younger people to fill their spots in the corporate ladder.

If people are working past 55/60/65, then where do the noobs go?
              People used to have defined benefit pension plans provided by their employer. Where did those go?
              What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Originally posted by WeAreNDHockey View Post
                I am ambidextrous.
                I blew out a shoulder (I couldn't lift the elbow above the shoulder without help), but played the rest of the season at the other corner of the diamond throwing with the other hand. My glove hand became the bad shoulder so I told all the infielders to throw it chest high or in the dirt at my feet and I'd dig it out. The shoulder didn't affect my hitting and my BA actually improved because I was so conscious of not wanting to be a drag.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Originally posted by bostonewe View Post
                  Medicare costs spiral because we don't know when to tell people "no". Why is a person with terminal brain cancer with less than 6 months to live offered every single treatment for the pneumonia he's developed, including a tracheostomy when he can't be taken off the ventilator and a PEG tube to feed him. How does this improve his quality of life for his time remaining? But we do it because we can, and when families aren't ready to let go, we will just prolong the suffering.

And if you don't, people scream about "death panels".

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
                    People used to have defined benefit pension plans provided by their employer. Where did those go?
                    Honestly, part of it is the more mobile work force of today. Under those plans you were best off working 30 years, getting the watch and the cake, and moving to Boca. The 401k gave the employee the mobility because they owned their retirement. Companies didn't have to manage the defined benefit plans (DBP). And without those DBPs there was no longer a big pool of money for someone with ill intentions to dig into. Instead, now it's all on Wall Street. < gulp >

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

• Originally posted by rufus View Post
                      I have one of those. In the late 80s the Feds phased it out in favor of SS and a 401k (TSP) and a higher retirement age for full bennies.

I got out at 55 with 32 years of service with a 62% pension. If I waited until I was 64, it would have been 80%.
                      CCT '77 & '78
                      4 kids
                      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

• Originally posted by rufus View Post
                        And if you don't, people scream about "death panels".
                        or they do dying with dignity.

Keep me comfortable. Feed and hydrate me. As to the rest, if I'm on the last mile the machines can be turned off, unless the Red Sox are in the World Series or Clarkson is in the Frozen Four.
                        CCT '77 & '78
                        4 kids
                        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

I have one of those. In the late 80s the Feds phased it out in favor of SS and a 401k (TSP) and a higher retirement age for full bennies.

I got out at 55 with 32 years of service with a 62% pension. If I waited until I was 64, it would have been 80%.
                          For certain. Private companies took that obligation off their books in pursuit of ever more profits, and dumped it all in the lap of the government.

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
                            I have a pension. I was hired 26 days before my company stopped offering them.

Any day now they're going to freeze them even for legacies, though.
                            Cornell University

Comment

I have a pension. I was hired 26 days before my company stopped offering them.

Any day now they're going to freeze them even for legacies, though.
                              Actuaries ****ed them all up. It's amazing the numbers they used. They assumed an endless stream of cash. Cashed out themselves. Moved to the Bahamas. And then laughed at all the poor retirees that had to take massive cuts to their benefits.

Now we give it all to Wall Street where it's even worse.

We should privatize more things.
                              **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                              Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

or they do dying with dignity.

Keep me comfortable. Feed and hydrate me. As to the rest, if I'm on the last mile the machines can be turned off, unless the Red Sox are in the World Series or Clarkson is in the Frozen Four.
                                One of the bigger problems: Too many people don't write down their wishes (Medical POA and/or living will). I say that as someone who has acted under one and is acting under another (plus a full fiduciary and guardianship POA). It sounds cruel and terrible, but knew exactly what the wishes were and ensured they were carried out.

If more people actually thought about it I believe it (cost of prolonged care for irreparable situations) would solve itself.
                                Last edited by The Sicatoka; 09-28-2016, 11:03 AM.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Working...
                                X