X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Campaign 2016 Part XIX: Escape from the Planet of Debates

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
    mookie's cop brother thought tD killed her last night.
    1/2 of mookie's cc members thought he also won big.

people see what they want to see.....
    Agreed. One of my Facebook friends who haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaates HRC and looooooooooooves tD thinks he did great and all she did was lie. Um, really? If the bar is set that he did great because he didn't implode or resort to name calling, etc., that's pretty sad.

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
      Both are hated, but which one would you want defending you in court if your life depended on it?
      That depends...is the judge Mexican?

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
        The answer is obvious. But that's not how the vast majority of the country watches these debates.

To Ivy League graduates, to doctors, to lawyers, to engineers, to people who love debating, I have no doubt that HRC came across as brilliant. But, as difficult as it may be for you, pretend like you have a 10th grade education and you're working at an ethanol plant in the midwest or as a coal miner in West Virginia. How'd she come across then? I'm curious, because like I said, I didn't see the debate. But from what I've seen of her, I doubt that she came across that likable or warm. Why do you think there are so many lawyer jokes, out of affection?
        After the debate Dr. Mrs. asked me who I thought won the debate for the majority of viewers. I said I don't know, I can't see the debate the way they see it. Nor do I think there's some monolithic "people of the land" mindset out there -- I assume all those people whose heads I have trouble crawling inside fracture into many, many subgroups who all see things differently not just from the Academic Conveyor Belt but also from each other. Why would a Maine fisherman and a Wyoming rancher have anymore the same mindset as a San Diego attorney and a Bethesda surgeon? Yes, there are probably shared values that derive from similar economic position -- the working class tends to fall for the "I come from humble roots" schtick, while the smirking* class falls for the "talk less, think more" affect. But where you stand depends on where you sit and workers have as diverse personal interests as the managerial strata.

So I can't see the same debate most of the country sees, and so I can't really answer your question about how Hillary comes across to someone with a completely different life experience and mindset. All I know is that there are times when she comes across as insincere and lawyerly to me, and that can't be good.

* I like the working class / smirking class phonics, but I hope everybody realizes that everybody smirks. Look at how Flag and others use "Ivy League" as an insult. Oppositional identity formation isn't just for people who know the term. The gold key that unlocks the pleasure/anger center in all monkey brains is "us vs them."
        Last edited by Kepler; 09-27-2016, 10:52 AM.
        Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by GrinCDXX View Post
          That depends...is the judge Mexican?
          You win the thread. Everybody else pack up.
          Cornell University
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
            Agreed. One of my Facebook friends who haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaates HRC and looooooooooooves tD thinks he did great and all she did was lie. Um, really? If the bar is set that he did great because he didn't implode or resort to name calling, etc., that's pretty sad.
            The Time poll is currently 55/45 Trump, with over 1.5 million votes cast. Even allowing for FreshBots and other tricks, it only goes to show what we assumed.
            Cornell University

Comment

The Time poll is currently 55/45 Trump, with over 1.5 million votes cast. Even allowing for FreshBots and other tricks, it only goes to show what we assumed.
              You're now relying on internet polls to justify bedwetting? Geesh Kep, what would you be like if Trump had actually won the debate?
              Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

You are better than that...the Time poll is like barely a step above your poll here in the cafe
                "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                  That is where the bar is set.
                  **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                  Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                    That is where the bar is set.
                    For you and his followers yes. For the rest you are sadly mistaken.

And before you cite the Time poll...do you judge the movies based on how they rate on IMDB?
                    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                      You are better than that...the Time poll is like barely a step above your poll here in the cafe
                      I didn't even know Time still existed until he posted that.

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                        For you and his followers yes. For the rest you are sadly mistaken.

And before you cite the Time poll...do you judge the movies based on how they rate on IMDB?
                        Don't need the Time poll. I'll wait for the real polls to come out.
                        **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                        Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
                          Eh whatever freaks people out enough to vote...
                          -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                            Don't need the Time poll. I'll wait for the real polls to come out.
                            Yet somehow no matter what they show we can probably predict your response...

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
                              Actually, neither did I.
                              Cornell University

Comment

Actually, neither did I.
                                So...you go out searching for bad news and then post something when you find it?

Comment

Working...
                                X