X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Campaign 2016 Part XIX: Escape from the Planet of Debates

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
    Everybody thought Gore won too. I'll wait for the polls. My guess is they don't move an inch.
    And if they do you will have some convenient way to move the goalposts to keep up your Chicken Little persona. (they didnt move enough)

BTW Gore did win the debate, the problem is people didnt like Gore and he made dumb *** decisions.
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Everybody thought Gore won too. I'll wait for the polls. My guess is they don't move an inch.
      The interesting thing in that debate was Gore destroyed Dubya in the instant polls, but after a few days the polling went to "even." The only difference now, I think, is the effect will be muted.
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
        Literally no one agrees with you.
        Scooby's used to that.
        Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
          Confirmation bias is stronger than you think. By this Friday it will be "common knowledge" on the far right that Trump won the debate. By next Friday bothsiderism will have made the story how both camps view the result through their bias, and the actual debate will have disappeared completely from people's minds.

I believe Trump could pull down his pants and take a dump on stage at the next debate and his numbers would not change. Those folks are locked in.
          Good, 42% wont win him the election and you know it.
          "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
          -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
          -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
          -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

And if they do you will have some convenient way to move the goalposts to keep up your Chicken Little persona. (they didnt move enough)

BTW Gore did win the debate, the problem is people didnt like Gore and he made dumb *** decisions.
            I think the one thing that everyone in forgetting today is where the goalposts were going into the debate. The expectations for Hillary were off the charts. The expectations for Trump was that he showed up and could speak in sentences.

Given that fact. Trump won. Hillary in my mind did not exceed expectations for the debate. Trump did. Anyone who thinks the same scale applies is kidding themselves. 1996 was the last time the same scale was used.
            **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
            Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Well, um, that's not really a good precedent for Hillary.

But the difference is people hate Trump too. Both candidates preached to the converted last night. Trump already had the full throated support of his followers -- he has fewer but they all go up to 11. Hillary, OTOH, still had some residual hangover from the DNC Screw Job with liberals being less excited by her. Last night she energized those folks by standing up to the bully. She was awesome -- she had a tough balance to strike and she did so both in her prepared remarks and her off the cuff responses. She did do what she needs to do to win: she brought her supporters closer and made liberals feel more comfortable. And for those 17 undecideds out there she showed us a president debating a buffoon.
              Cornell University
              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

I think the one thing that everyone in forgetting today is where the goalposts were going into the debate. The expectations for Hillary were off the charts. The expectations for Trump was that he showed up and could speak in sentences.

Given that fact. Trump won. Hillary in my mind did not exceed expectations for the debate. Trump did. Anyone who thinks the same scale applies is kidding themselves. 1996 was the last time the same scale was used.
                No he didnt. The expectations BS only worked if he played it close, and no one thought he played it close. If the Right pundits are "blaming the refs" it is because he got trounced.

And please stop using the word "fact" because apparently you dont know what one is
                -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
                  Meanwhile, here's Trump "cleaning up" some of his debate comments this morning. Yikes.

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/0...machado-228768
                  He just doesn't know. He actually is Biff Tannen.
                  Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                    Well, um, that's not really a good precedent for Hillary.

But the difference is people hate Trump too.
                    Both candidates preached to the converted last night. Trump already had the full throated support of his followers -- he has fewer but they all go up to 11. Hillary, OTOH, still had some residual hangover from the DNC Screw Job with liberals being less excited by her. Last night she energized those folks by standing up to the bully. She was awesome -- she had a tough balance to strike and she did so both in her prepared remarks and her off the cuff responses. She did do what she needs to do to win: she brought her supporters closer and made liberals feel more comfortable. And for those 17 undecideds out there she showed us a president debating a buffoon.
                    That is the key right there. People liked Dubya cause he was "Aw Shucks-y" and had a recognizable name. 60% of America hates Drumpf including overwhelming majorities of women and minorities. The key is getting them to vote...
                    -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Oddly enough this debate should have been Trump's strength. The economy, jobs, and national security are all issues he's made central to his campaign. What's going to happen when the subject matter turns to the environment, abortion rights, same sex marriage, etc etc? Or worse yet, foreign policy?

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

Comment

No he didnt. The expectations BS only worked if he played it close, and no one thought he played it close. If the Right pundits are "blaming the refs" it is because he got trounced.

And please stop using the word "fact" because apparently you dont know what one is
                        Didn't Trump's campaign manager call him the Babe Ruth of debating a couple of days ago? Must have been Ruth during his last season playing for the Braves.

Comment

On whether Scooby is in fact, an idiot:

Scooby is a type of genius that has developed the perfect system for both the internet and being a gofer fan. After years of watching the Gophers fall apart down the stretch, he brilliantly developed this Eeyore-ian pessimism about everything he wants to happen. If he's wrong, so much the better and no one cares, if he's right he is at least left with that as some solace. It translates so well to nearly all internet discussions and pushes things along so nicely that the main objection I have is that I wish I had thought of the persona myself ten years ago.

To turn a phrase from a past debate -- I know idiots. I work with idiots. I have friends who are idiots. And Scooby, sir, is no idiot.*

*He is however a stinkin' gopher fan, which may render this whole point moot.
                          Originally posted by WiscTJK
                          I'm with Wisko and Tim.
                          Originally posted by Timothy A
                          Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

That is the key right there. People liked Dubya cause he was "Aw Shucks-y" and had a recognizable name. 60% of America hates Drumpf including overwhelming majorities of women and minorities. The key is getting them to vote...
                            If they vote and they vote in overwhelming majorities for Clinton it will be almost as important as electing Barack Obama for the electorate. I don't see it. I think for that kind of vote to happen people have to want to vote for you. I think even though Trump's supporter window is smaller his 42% want to vote for him more than Hillary's supporters want to vote for her. That's how I see it and that's how the polls have been pretty much all along.
                            **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                            Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

60% of America hates Drumpf including overwhelming majorities of women and minorities. The key is getting them to vote...
                              Every woman who sees this ad will vote.

Dr. Mrs. pointed out something interesting as we were watching last night. According to her, Trump's constant interruptions (23-4 IINM) will trigger an association in every woman's brain of THAT GUY who blusters and interrupts and mansplains. The experience of THAT GUY is universal among women, regardless of their background -- they meet him in school and business and especially in dating. THAT GUY is, after an actual physical abuser, the most hated person on the face of the Earth. And Trump is THAT GUY.

She said it's not so much that it makes the voting decision easier but that it will motivate women to get to the polls. Essentially it's like black people watching a Klansman get the nomination. Nothing's going to stop them from voting.
                              Last edited by Kepler; 09-27-2016, 08:49 AM.
                              Cornell University

Comment

After two pages of drivel and cheerleading... I'd say my analysis of polarisation is pretty spot on. Infowars is saying CNN's poll was rigged because of the number of democrats asked, and then show 30 polls, most of which show Trump leading (I assume they only threw in a few of the Hill-dawg wins to be "fair"). They're just as polarising.

I assume no one got alcohol poisoning from the show on this board...

Comment

Working...
                                X