Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gear Grinding 7: Really? This crap again?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Gear Grinding 7: Really? This crap again?

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
    Doing taxes would be a great life skill to teach in a government or economics class. Granted, I could figure it out doing a little RT*M, and I was in an economics class in college that taught it. Of course, I'm sure H&R Block would lobby against it for the public school system...

Basic plumbing also would have been a great thing to learn, and something I wish I knew now.
    I never was a hands-on sort growing up, and I really wish I had those skills now. A low-risk environment where I could futz around with household level plumbing, circuitry, HVAC, etc. and learn a few basics without breaking anything or maiming myself would have instilled quite a bit of confidence. (The other hurdle is I rolled a 3 in DEX, but that's neither here nor there.)

Basic around-the-house level electrical/circuitry/HVAC work would be freakin' awesome, but you'd NEVER get the admin to sign off on it for fear of someone getting zapped.
    Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

Originally posted by Twitch Boy View Post
      I never was a hands-on sort growing up, and I really wish I had those skills now. A low-risk environment where I could futz around with household level plumbing, circuitry, HVAC, etc. and learn a few basics without breaking anything or maiming myself would have instilled quite a bit of confidence. (The other hurdle is I rolled a 3 in DEX, but that's neither here nor there.)

Basic around-the-house level electrical/circuitry/HVAC work would be freakin' awesome, but you'd NEVER get the admin to sign off on it for fear of someone getting zapped.
      That last part is definitely the biggest hurdle for anything Home Ec or Shop related, especially considering insurance and a sue-happy society.

Sadly, a lot of these things have been sent to the vocational school system (BOCES as it's called in NYS). I believe Hammer had a term for those that would normally go, but the sad thing is that they're probably better off with in-demand blue collar employment than those of us who wasted thousands on college, especially those who received what amounts to a worthless degree for their trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
        Sadly, a lot of these things have been sent to the vocational school system (BOCES as it's called in NYS). I believe Hammer had a term for those that would normally go, but the sad thing is that they're probably better off with in-demand blue collar employment than those of us who wasted thousands on college, especially those who received what amounts to a worthless degree for their trouble.
        No. The guys I was referring to had NO interest in learning ANYTHING. The Powers/Metals class, as well as vocational school system (we had something similar called Vo-Tec) were simply something to keep these clowns out of jail, with lunch time being used for most of them to see just how many Marlboros and Camels they could inhale in 35 minutes or less, while throwing rocks at semis (true stories, both of them). Most of them are pushing a broom somewhere today, because that's all they were interested in learning. Sadly, the guys that actually used anything they learned in those classes after graduation were few and far between.

I do agree that vocational schools, when used properly, are EXCELLENT choices for those interested in doing something along those lines that have no interest in college.
        Last edited by Hammer; 07-07-2017, 07:48 PM.
        FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

We had to take a couple of wood shop classes and a plastics class. Part of me wishes I had taken a real shop class where you learned to work on cars. But I'm glad I took extra math classes in the end. We had one or two Home Ec classes in middle school where we learned basic cooking skills and basic home skills like sewing. (I still have that pillow. Great quality!)

The only skills I've retained or grown are cooking and basic home repair like installing a light switch, replacing and repairing PVC pipe, etc.
          Code:
          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
          Originally posted by SanTropez
          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
          Originally posted by Kepler
          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Overtime at work yesterday:

-Arrived at 2:30, as was required. Punch was rejected.
            -Got to my department, and only found ONE tank.
            -Went on a search for more tanks to clean. Found about 18 of them.
            -Had to find someone to bring us these tanks, as my coworker and I don't have HILO licenses.

Basically, the gear grinder here is that it took about two hours for us to get going. Had those tanks been in the room at 2:30, we would have been out of there in an hour and a half.
            Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
            "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
            Patreon for exclusive writing content
            Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

The fact that political discussion in this country has gone from the Lincoln-Douglas debates to:

A: Derp durr... Trump is the greatest!
              B: You are so wrong. You're an *******.
              A: I'm an *******? You're an *******, pal!
              B: Whatever.
              C: LOUD NOISES!
              Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
              "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
              Patreon for exclusive writing content
              Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Originally posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
                The fact that political discussion in this country has gone from the Lincoln-Douglas debates to:

A: Derp durr... Trump is the greatest!
                B: You are so wrong. You're an *******.
                A: I'm an *******? You're an *******, pal!
                B: Whatever.
                C: LOUD NOISES!
                And then once you think you've made progress with finding some common ground and making advancements that both sides can agree on, some idiot just has to ruin it with a talking point, and you're back to exactly what was quoted.

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                  We had to take a couple of wood shop classes and a plastics class. Part of me wishes I had taken a real shop class where you learned to work on cars. But I'm glad I took extra math classes in the end. We had one or two Home Ec classes in middle school where we learned basic cooking skills and basic home skills like sewing. (I still have that pillow. Great quality!)

The only skills I've retained or grown are cooking and basic home repair like installing a light switch, replacing and repairing PVC pipe, etc.
                  Our shop classes were great. We learned how to weld and were actually required to fabricate an item we designed using metal we welded together. We learned how to make fiberglass products, and again each student had to design and construct a fiberglass project.

I received my final grade in that class 40 years ago. I have never once welded something or created any fiberglass since. What I really learned in that class was I had no interest at all in spending my day welding or making fiberglass repairs. That's why that class was excellent.
                  That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                    What I really learned in that class was I had no interest at all in spending my day welding or making fiberglass repairs. That's why that class was excellent.
                    Great point. Learning what you don't like is just as important as learning what you do.
                    Code:
                    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                    Originally posted by SanTropez
                    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                    Originally posted by Kepler
                    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                      And then once you think you've made progress with finding some common ground and making advancements that both sides can agree on, some idiot just has to ruin it with a talking point, and you're back to exactly what was quoted.
                      Yeah, I can't imagine who would be guilty of spewing inflammatory "talking points" around here...

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                        Yeah, I can't imagine who would be guilty of spewing inflammatory "talking points" around here...
                        heh.

Comment

Great grinding: Credit card rewards options that make no sense.

I have a Visa that gives me, among other things, 5% back for Amazon purchases. I can use the points for a statement credit (essentially cash), or gift cards, or use them directly on Amazon. None of the options have more favorable terms than the other (ie 100 points = $1 whether put towards a gift card, used directly at Amazon, or turned into a statement credit).

Why the hell would I ever use them at Amazon, when I could charge the purchase, get the 5% in points, then use the points I otherwise would've "spent" as a statement credit.

Comment

Great point. Learning what you don't like is just as important as learning what you do.
                            My biology classes must have been my most valuable, then. They taught me that it's possible for a science to be utterly uninteresting.
                            Cornell University
                            National Champion 1967, 1970
                            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by unofan View Post
                              Great grinding: Credit card rewards options that make no sense.

I have a Visa that gives me, among other things, 5% back for Amazon purchases. I can use the points for a statement credit (essentially cash), or gift cards, or use them directly on Amazon. None of the options have more favorable terms than the other (ie 100 points = $1 whether put towards a gift card, used directly at Amazon, or turned into a statement credit).

Why the hell would I ever use them at Amazon, when I could charge the purchase, get the 5% in points, then use the points I otherwise would've "spent" as a statement credit.
                              Depending on how large your purchase is at Amazon, you could redeem the value of points and pay for the remainder of the purchase on the charge card?

Reminds me of a guy I used to work with who really wanted a flight from points. So he used his air miles card to purchase gift cards from Sam's Club (or wherever) earning miles. He then used the gift cards to pay off his credit card bill. Lather, rinse, repeat, until he got enough miles.
                              “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

In theory, you learned how to learn. So get a welder, and make it work.

I managed to talk my wife into getting me a welder for my birthday. Took me a few years to get up the courage to use it. But I learned quickly, and now have no problem doing body repair on my cars. Other than the total lack of motivation to do it.

Comment

Working...
                                X