Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gear Grinding 7: Really? This crap again?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jen View Post
    My boss' grammar, take 527:

"I guess this is a hole, I was not a where of"

?????
    Google Translate
    "I was not aware there was a hole here."
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

• Re: Gear Grinding 7: Really? This crap again?

Originally posted by joecct View Post
      Google Translate
      "I was not aware there was a hole here."
      Given the context of jen's job description in the past, it's likely more along this line of thinking: "I guess this is a missed requirement/feature. I was not aware we missed it/customer wanted/need it."
      "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

The temp employee who's helping me with my Windows 10 migration project, she buries the lead on every email she sends out to our testers. So it leads to a lot of confusion and extra work on my end. She was brought it to relieve some of the work load from me, not add to it.
        "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

Comment

There's a special place in hell for people who don't mute their phones in a cube farm. Especially when they are texting all day.

ETA: Bonus round!

People who call or use the work messaging system to ask what my calendar looks like. We have an exchange server. Use it.
          Last edited by dxmnkd316; 06-19-2017, 10:51 AM.
          Code:
          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
          Originally posted by SanTropez
          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
          Originally posted by Kepler
          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
            KIDNEY STONES!!!

About 6 weeks ago I had one and then another about two days later. No clue what was happening at first. No history, no family history, just out of the blue. All is well until this last Thursday and then blammo. Then again Friday night.

You know how you hear from random people about how painful they can be? Well, it turns out they aren't exaggerating.

Also buy bottled water stocks. I'm driving up demand dramatically.
            Well, that is no fun!
            Britta is your friend. They have sports bottles that allow you to filter as you go. We use them when we travel. Cheap and easy.

Comment

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
              KIDNEY STONES!!!

About 6 weeks ago I had one and then another about two days later. No clue what was happening at first. No history, no family history, just out of the blue. All is well until this last Thursday and then blammo. Then again Friday night.

You know how you hear from random people about how painful they can be? Well, it turns out they aren't exaggerating.

Also buy bottled water stocks. I'm driving up demand dramatically.
              Had one. They do feel awful.
              **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
              Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

People who chew gum with their mouth open.
                "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

So FlagDUDETTE went to the laundromat yesterday, and came across some 25-year-old that evidently didn't know how to use a washer and dryer. Is this seriously not taught anymore, whether by parents or schools?! Supposedly the kid had affluenza and was thrown out of his parents' place, but at least a school could teach basic lifestyle activities, like laundry, cooking, and what not.

Regardless of your beliefs in people becoming subservient, this whole idea is a fairly sad state of affairs...

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                    So FlagDUDETTE went to the laundromat yesterday, and came across some 25-year-old that evidently didn't know how to use a washer and dryer. Is this seriously not taught anymore, whether by parents or schools?! Supposedly the kid had affluenza and was thrown out of his parents' place, but at least a school could teach basic lifestyle activities, like laundry, cooking, and what not.

Regardless of your beliefs in people becoming subservient, this whole idea is a fairly sad state of affairs...
                    That was one of the things I didn't like about high school... we didn't have a Home Ec or a cooking class.
                    Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                    "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                    Patreon for exclusive writing content
                    Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

at least a school could teach basic lifestyle activities, like laundry, cooking, and what not.
                      I think schools should teach nutrition, but teaching a kid how to use a ****ing washing machine? come on! It isn't rocket science. I can probably count on one hand the number of times I did my own laundry when I lived at home and I don't think I was "taught" how to do it, but it wasn't too hard to figure out when I needed to do it myself.

Comment

The school likely doesn't force Home Economics as a class anymore. If it's offered at all, it's offered as an elective. When I had home ec. in middle school, it focused on sewing and cooking, no clothes were washed. Also, every washer/dryer is different, so teaching kids on Model X doesn't necessarily translate over toe Model Y.

Comment

I remember figuring how how to use a very old fashion (like, 50s) washer / dryer for the first time at a sh-tty little laundromat in Albany, NY near where I lived on Quail Street. I was so proud of myself and when I came back the next week it has been shuttered because someone had been stabbed to death there.
                          Cornell University
                          National Champion 1967, 1970
                          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                            The school likely doesn't force Home Economics as a class anymore. If it's offered at all, it's offered as an elective. When I had home ec. in middle school, it focused on sewing and cooking, no clothes were washed. Also, every washer/dryer is different, so teaching kids on Model X doesn't necessarily translate over toe Model Y.
                            No clothes washing was taught in my home ec class. However, I've operated washers and dryers in my own home, apartments and laundromats around the world, and with one exception it's never taken me more than about a minute to figure out precisely how they work.

The one exception was the first time I tried to use the washing machines in the dormitories just off the Kringsja tram station in Oslo, Norway. Inserting the tokens, then getting them to drop correctly was like playing a game of Ker Plunk. If not for this smoking hot girl from Poland who was also living in the dormitories, I would have been washing my clothes in the lake. I wish I had remained in contact with that girl.
                            That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                              No clothes washing was taught in my home ec class. However, I've operated washers and dryers in my own home, apartments and laundromats around the world, and with one exception it's never taken me more than about a minute to figure out precisely how they work.

The one exception was the first time I tried to use the washing machines in the dormitories just off the Kringsja tram station in Oslo, Norway. Inserting the tokens, then getting them to drop correctly was like playing a game of Ker Plunk. If not for this smoking hot girl from Poland who was also living in the dormitories, I would have been washing my clothes in the lake. I wish I had remained in contact with that girl.
                              I never had an issue learning to use machines either, but some people just can't seem to figure out what's what when it comes to the things that make modern life not smell funny, regardless of "affluenza" or not.

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                                I never had an issue learning to use machines either, but some people just can't seem to figure out what's what when it comes to the things that make modern life not smell funny, regardless of "affluenza" or not.
                                Your affluenza comment makes me laugh because of an old event.

Maybe 25 years ago I was invited to participate in a Ryder Cup style golf outing hosted by the CEO of a Fortune 500 company in Minnesota and a friend of his. These two guys each picked seven other golfers to make up the eight person teams, and we stayed at the lake "cabin" of our respective host. I was on the CEO's team, and his "cabin" was this spectacular four million dollar home on a beautiful lake property. On Sunday morning of that weekend, the CEO asked all of us to bring our bedding down to the laundry room, because his wife had instructed him to put it in the washing machine and get a load or two washed.

As I brought mine down, the CEO and the general counsel for the company were staring at the washer, dumbfounded, trying to figure out how to turn it on and put the soap in. I guess $7 million annually in salary and stock options also means you don't end up doing much of your own laundry.
                                That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Working...
                                X