Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gear Grinding 7: Really? This crap again?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Gear Grinding 7: Really? This crap again?

Originally posted by CLS View Post
    I'm convinced these types (that I assume are intended to limit paper usage) actually increase paper usage. I often use two portions when one larger one would suffice.
    We still have the manual paper towel dispensers....located such that everyone has to move their dripping wet hands away from the sink, above the floor, to a bin on the opposite wall, leaving a trail of droplets behind (unless you eventually develop the habit of taking the towels out and setting them down before you even start running the faucet....)
    "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Application developers who create database views that have different field names than the tables from which they read even though they're not performing any expressions or calculations upon the data held within the original table's data. This one in particular has, by my estimate, cost us two days' worth of project testing time due to people getting lost in the language. The BA/SME working on the other end of this project from me isn't the brightest bulb on the tree in the first place, and now he's just added one more hurdle to overcome.
      "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

So I just got a new iPhone from my employer. A very, very large employer. The setup instructions on the mobile website are basically how to turn the phone on. There are three separate sets of instructions I found on basically the front page of our mobile solutions site. All three are wrong and out of date (and have been for 6+ months) according to my coworker. The solution? just call the helpdesk. They can walk you through it.

Seriously, I wonder how this dam company stays in business sometimes. How expensive is it to have two people talking through setup when it should just be a step-by-step on the front page of the mobile website?
        Code:
        As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
        College Hockey 6       College Football 0
        BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
        Originally posted by SanTropez
        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
        Originally posted by bigblue_dl
        I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
        Originally posted by Kepler
        When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
          So I just got a new iPhone from my employer. A very, very large employer. The setup instructions on the mobile website are basically how to turn the phone on. There are three separate sets of instructions I found on basically the front page of our mobile solutions site. All three are wrong and out of date (and have been for 6+ months) according to my coworker. The solution? just call the helpdesk. They can walk you through it.

Seriously, I wonder how this dam company stays in business sometimes. How expensive is it to have two people talking through setup when it should just be a step-by-step on the front page of the mobile website?
          Sound like you work for the same company as me.

Although with my most recent update, I had to bring the phone home and let it update on my personal Wi-Fi before I could connect it with the work system. It wasn't even capable of working without personal intervention.

So much for our IT department being useful.

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
            Application developers who create database views that have different field names than the tables from which they read even though they're not performing any expressions or calculations upon the data held within the original table's data. This one in particular has, by my estimate, cost us two days' worth of project testing time due to people getting lost in the language. The BA/SME working on the other end of this project from me isn't the brightest bulb on the tree in the first place, and now he's just added one more hurdle to overcome.
            Are they ever...

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
              Are they ever...
              Are what ever? That could apply to a few things in my gripe.
              "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                Are what ever? That could apply to a few things in my gripe.
                Yes.

I was more of referring to the Business Analysts. I always find, when trying to translate to something management would understand, they end up completely changing the meaning of what was explained.

Thankfully, for us when it comes to database views, we've said "Uh, no..."

Comment

I kind of want to put this on LinkedIn and watch my world burn. But self preservation dictates that I just say it here and be a little vague to be on the safe side. Might make this rant even more unreadable, but whatever, I just need to vent.

I wish I had the last five years of my career back.

Five years ago, I was a happy, developing, mid-20s engineer working for a company that makes things. It wasn't exciting, but I liked the people I worked with and the work well enough.

Then I took a new job after moving.

This place sells software that other people made and don't sell themselves. I'm a user of said software dating back to college. I liked my interactions implementing some software solutions with a competing vendor. Maybe I could work with their competitor and eventually do that? I won't start in projects, but until then I'll still provide engineering services. For two years, I do technical tasks (training, support, etc.) it goes well.

But I also had to do it alongside the biggest SOB I've ever met. This kid was the owner's youngest/most spoiled. He was unpolished and had a narrow worldview. Put it this way, he said some stuff to a LGBT employee that would've gotten him fired from any other company. To this day I'm shocked there wasn't a lawsuit.

He loved to gripe, especially when it meant complaining about other people (to mommy, daddy, big brother...). Over the four years, I must've heard him talk **** about 90% of the employees that went through that company. Of course... I know he's doing the same with me. More on this later.

I start doing more big time presentations for major accounts. I get noticed, and finally get transferred to the "consulting" group.

This means a new boss. He's different. Wouldn't work well with others, and also complains about everyone. It got PETTY. Our company put on a huge conference, which was to include some hands-on training sessions. The IT guy was deemed "incompetent" by him, so I and others had to drive in a day early (whilst my wife was 8+ months pregnant, mind you) just to unload files from a jump drive.

But what really got me with this guy was the lies. No bigger of a lie than that "all of my team are busy with consulting projects"and thus we can't contribute to other company efforts. That big conference? I was somehow "too busy" (I only had one project at the time: again, more on this in a bit), and so just had one training session and a lot of standing around despite being told months prior I'd have "a big part to play". Don't ask me about the performance review I never got.

But this boss did have one thing: a project management philosophy centered around good process auditing (can't improve what you don't understand) and solid Statement of Work documentation of deliverables, plans, etc.

For a while, I was successful. Not too many hits, but even my misses got GREAT feedback on our SOW documents and the auditing process. I felt like I was one big break away from something special. It wasn't much, really, but I doubled the subscription base on the product in a year. And we had a good pipeline of interested customers, more than at any point recorded in our CRM system.

But then... the owner's son and that one project and that "everyone is busy" lie all come to roost at the same time. Owner's son is trying to woo a big client with a project. Am I brought into the project right away, before the owner's son over-promises the impact? No. Was there any effort to actually define anything in a SOW before a quote is issued? No. Are they dreaming too big to see these as mistakes? Yup.

I'm told to write a SOW that's in hindsight a detail-free blank check. Of course, it doesn't go well. Every meeting, something new comes up. A simple "1st phase" project becomes a behemoth pursuit of "perfection".Deadlines come and go. People get annoyed. They aren't singing off until it meets what they want, not what they agreed to.

When we don't win any future business from the client, who do you think got the blame?

Now ownership wonders: How many billable hours am I bringing in? Only that much? Wasn't he "100% on projects"? This can't possibly be worth the investment in EoDS and his colleague. We should outsource this to consultants and cut them loose.

EoDS on the unemployment line. Because of some of my own failings? I'm not blameless. But also for lies and the lying liars who told them? Oh yeah.

But it's not so bad. Goodwill, well wishes and professional references are offered.

One salesman even helped me get in contact with a consultant who sees a future for my niche. He's already sold a project to customer, but doesn't have the personnel and needs my expertise NOW. I take this as a red flag and turn him down. He brings the Brinks truck. I can't refuse. My first day for this company is at an airport going to their client. Of course, by the time I show up, this client already has their eye on a new solution (my red flags well placed). But we agree on a scoped down, short term version of the proposal. They're happy enough, and give us a second project. Yay. No budget for #3 this year, and then they're moving on to a different solution. Boo.

I know from contacts made at other software vendors: they don't have the time for these projects, especially since I wasn't alone in seeing increased interest. They all express interest in partnership, but also lots of "let me talk to such and such a manager and get back to you". Meanwhile, several of my old customers come calling for me BY NAME. They want to work with me. GREAT! When do they want to start? Crickets. In a situation where THEY sought ME out, they can't even talk about scope for 5 MONTHS. If there isn't a market for my services, I've just been lied to by no fewer than 6 companies. At the end of one year, there are two customers, one of whom decided mid-project to ignore the SIGNED SOW and demand out-of-scope stuff. Choice: walk from one of my only clients or eat up a lot of extra time to complete what should've been a simple project.

So I've had three customers: one moving towards another solution before we even met and one complaining me into scope creep hell. Meager returns and the silent "interested" clients mean my consulting venture isn't sustainable. EoDS back on the market.

I get squared away with a new job quickly, but they need to wait until this week for me to start. Two weeks to kill.

Lo and behold, an old customer comes calling, asking for help. We have a good past, I'll see what I can do. It's a quickie, they say. We have a call to hash out details.

Call on a Monday. It's a problem with X. I ask some questions to verify that it's not Y or Z. We agree X is something I can do in a day, but I'll bill hourly at a cheap rate. We formalize some details over e-mail, but forgo a formal SOW that would've detailed the differences between X/Y/Z.

On Tuesday, I resolve their issue and test the solution by noon. I write a good detailed summary loaded with pointers for next steps. Only 3 hours billable, but whatever.

On Wendesday, I get the e-mail. "I'm disappointed..." I ask why, I get a BS answer about stuff related to Y and Z (ugh). It ends with some hyperbole about software capabilities (isn't true AND for ****s sake we've established this as out-of-scope). I ask a question to make sure we're on the same page and I don't hear from him again. This is is the straw that broke my back.

Call me crazy, but I'm guessing that this guy just knew that I wasn't going to contact a lawyer or hire some ruffian named Knuckles to force him to pay me a $400 bill, which I'm certain I've now officially been stiffed on.

So, I tried to be a consultant. I liked it. It had a glamour to it. I had the technical skills to be sure.

But I failed. I lost one job to lies. I lost another one twiddling my thumbs while others took their time. My brief solo career was... ugh. At every step in the way, my clients would try to weasel out of any level of documented agreement.

Everyone's word is useless. Even a signature on a document means nothing.

... of course, obviously being so bitter towards so many people likely means I'm more to blame than I let on. Maybe I'm not really that good at what I (tried to) do. Maybe I was too reliant on a planning process that's prone to the need for greater flexibility (not sure how that'd have helped my "3 hour" debacle, though). Maybe my services don't pay off like I think?

But still... **** all those people. **** people who complain about everyone under the sun. **** the liars. **** the lack of professional respect or even decency. **** everyone weaseling out of agreements at the first chance. **** everyone looking for the easy scapegoat. **** everyone who led me on and their false hopes. **** everyone's assumptions. **** you, JK. **** you, AK. **** you, DK. **** you twice, BR. **** you, BS. **** you, CB. **** you, JR. **** you, AI. **** you, FU and TM. **** you, NG. **** you, JC. **** you most of all, MM (you weren't the first, you weren't the worst, but you were the last straw).

And **** me for thinking that I could make it in a field that I'm clearly not made to deal with, even with my technical skills. **** me for failing so spectacularly. I'm back in industry making things. I'm pretty sure I know what I'm doing, that I'm in a good company, and that I've learned more than I realize in these last years. Yet I'm still wrecked with self-doubt from my failures, terrified that I'm Charlie Brown and Lucy's pulling the football. So **** me.

TL;DR I tried to be a consultant and failed. I'm pretty sure I've spent the last five years of my life getting lied to for a living, and I'm not sure it was worth it.
                  If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                    I kind of want to put this on LinkedIn and watch my world burn. But self preservation dictates that I just say it here and be a little vague to be on the safe side. Might make this rant even more unreadable, but whatever, I just need to vent

TL;DR I tried to be a consultant and failed. I'm pretty sure I've spent the last five years of my life getting lied to for a living, and I'm not sure it was worth it.
                    Sounds like an extremely frustrating period.

Might I suggest that "you tried to be a consultant, and learned some things the first time that could prove to be quite useful the next time?" That instead of "wasted time," it was a tuition-like investment in your on-going education?

I've had several businesses fail, two because new technology made them obsolete, but at least I was able to support myself and the family in the interim.

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

I'd consider doing it again, but it's such a high risk (albeit, high ceiling) route to take.

My other hangup is that I'm petrified that the longer I spend in services, the harder it would be to get back into industry if it failed again. Manufacturers in Green Bay and surrounding areas can be pretty old fashioned when it comes to experience. Not a lot of presumption that skills translate across industries (or even products).

That said, there was a LOT of turnover at the software vendor. Their glassdoor review page is amusing. Several old colleagues have since moved to a competitor that actually sent me an offer four weeks ago, and I've heard great things, but I need to rehab myself in industry. I'm just too burnt out on consulting to try again right now (even aside from my industry fears).
                      Last edited by ExileOnDaytonStreet; 12-22-2016, 12:48 PM.

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Comment

Sounds like you had bad supervisors/mentors right from the start, when you moved to the consulting side of the house.

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                          Sounds like you had bad supervisors/mentors right from the start, when you moved to the consulting side of the house.
                          Yeah, that's for sure. I had a good boss for about 8 months before that change, and I still retain good relationships with my contemporaries there.

But nothing else there would be anything resembling a mentor or mode for how I want to do business. Closest I had was a competitor that I respected.

I wish I could've had a mentor like I had my last time in industry or the one Mrs. EoDS just replaced (retirement) at her job.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                            I wish I could've had a mentor like I had my last time in industry or the one Mrs. EoDS just replaced (retirement) at her job.
                            If it is not impractical, perhaps you might find an existing consulting firm and work for them??

One thing I notice among many consultants I know, is that quite a few of them wind up getting job offers from the firms for which they consulted.

Comment

Search engines these days. Say I want to use Yahoo (don't ask why; normally I'd use DuckDuckGo). I search for something, and it returns ten things. Three of them are things that are useful. The rest: ads.

You think they might be desperate for money or something?

Comment

I don't think I'd ever work for a small company ever again.

If I wasn't given the offer I received from my current employer, I would have left my job in the middle of the Great Recession for mental health reasons. At a small company there is no recourse. At a big company, you may have a few avenues to pursue.
                                Code:
                                As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                                College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                                BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                                Originally posted by SanTropez
                                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                                Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                                I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                                Originally posted by Kepler
                                When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Working...
                                X