Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gear Grinding 7: Really? This crap again?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Gear Grinding 7: Really? This crap again?

*slaps forehead*
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Originally posted by SanTropez
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Originally posted by Kepler
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

"White pride."
      "Black pride."

Should be same/same. /KarateKid

Why is that so wrong? Really, why? It's bullsh*.
      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
        "White pride."
        "Black pride."

Because we live in the real world that is why.

Lets say it is a double standard...so what? Do you know what the true meaning behind Gay Pride is? It isnt just an excuse to have a parade and slap yourself on the back...it was a way to fight back against being subjugated (and worse) by homophobic d-bags. Straight people arent being oppressed are they? More often they arent doing it to show pride in their sexuality, it is just to knock down Gays.

If I have to explain to you why "White Pride" and "Black Pride" arent the "same/same" then no offense dude but I really question your ability to walk and talk at the same time. They arent the same. In a perfect world would they be...sure. We dont live there and trying to pretend we do is willfully ignorant in the best light and downright stupid in the worst. Whites dont have any issues with Pride...

And even if I grant you all of what you say...again satire doesnt mean others dont have the right to be offended and you wont face consequences. If the Republicans dont like the reaction they get for their stuff then too bad dont do it.
        "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
        -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
        -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
        -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
          Because we live in the real world that is why.

Lets say it is a double standard...so what? Do you know what the true meaning behind Gay Pride is? It isnt just an excuse to have a parade and slap yourself on the back...it was a way to fight back against being subjugated (and worse) by homophobic d-bags. Straight people arent being oppressed are they? More often they arent doing it to show pride in their sexuality, it is just to knock down Gays.

If I have to explain to you why "White Pride" and "Black Pride" arent the "same/same" then no offense dude but I really question your ability to walk and talk at the same time. They arent the same. In a perfect world would they be...sure. We dont live there and trying to pretend we do is willfully ignorant in the best light and downright stupid in the worst. Whites dont have any issues with Pride...

And even if I grant you all of what you say...again satire doesnt mean others dont have the right to be offended and you wont face consequences. If the Republicans dont like the reaction they get for their stuff then too bad dont do it.
          And I say destroy those lines. I say wear that stuff, and explain why. "You can't wear this because you're white" is bullsh*. It really is. You can't do that because you're male? Bullsh*. Every time we bring up boundaries and why they have to be acknowledged, we strengthen the extremists. Hell, let's go further: You can't wear a hijab because that means it's Muslim and that's bad! Bullsh*.

Enough with double standards.
          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

• Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
            "White pride."
            "Black pride."

Because that's the trade off for not being automatically shot by the police. Others get to wear pride tshirts and use slurs, you get to not live in fear of your government killing you.

Stop being a snowflake. It's not befitting you.

Comment

And I say destroy those lines. I say wear that stuff, and explain why. "You can't wear this because you're white" is bullsh*. It really is. You can't do that because you're male? Bullsh*. Every time we bring up boundaries and why they have to be acknowledged, we strengthen the extremists. Hell, let's go further: You can't wear a hijab because that means it's Muslim and that's bad! Bullsh*.

In an ideal world, you would be right. We don't live in an ideal world.

But for decades, if not hundreds of years, minorities of all kinds were oppressed by mostly white males. People were constantly belittled for being a minority- again, it does not matter which minority- but every one of them were belittled and made to feel inferior. Let alone the legal separations that put the white male in a position of domination.

So when you say "white power" every minority thinks you are wanting to go back to those days. As opposed to Black Power or Gay Pride or even Black Lives Matter are all just statements demanding that they be treated the exact same as you have. They don't want to have a higher rate of tickets, they don't want a higher rate of being shot, they want to vote as easily, they want schools that are the same as yours, they want neighborhoods where the value of their property can go up instead of down, they don't want to get stabbed for who they are. They just want the same system that you operate in. And it's going to take some very biased hard work to make it that.

When you say "Straight is Great"- it says to the minority- 1) they are not one of you, and can't be and 2) because of that, you are better than them. What's sad about that is that the people you are trying to make a joke to don't get it- and it's THEIR fault they don't get it. Again, you are pointing out how superior you are to them. Pretend you don't think that all you want- you are just digging your hole deeper.

IMHO, you should at least make an attempt to understand that. The less you do, and the more you belittle them, you then risk an actual movement to overthrow your white male domination. It's a whole lot easier to empathize and just give minorities the equal treatment- IN REALITY- as they as asking for.
              Last edited by alfablue; 06-07-2017, 06:58 AM.

Comment

Show me a world where things are fair for those you think are receiving this double standard and I will show you a world where your argument isnt naive and ignorant.

Not everything is the same, context matters. Just because to YOU it feels like it should be the same doesnt mean it actually is.

Honest question. Lets say you see a person hung in effigy that looks like you. How does that make you feel? Now lets say a Black Person sees it how does that make them feel? I guarantee you are both thinking of different things and feeling different emotions. As long as that is true this White People notion of "same/same" can bite me. I brought it up before it is like "White History Month" which the racists...errr...poor oppressed White Folk always talk about. You dont get White History month because EVERY MONTH IS WHITE HISTORY MONTH!

Brent either you are trolling or you never really got all that old school rap you always talk about. Those songs (in content and just in general) go against your entire point.

But lets close on this point...until everyone is treated equally by society, the government and the law there are going to be double standards. Dont like it, fix the bigger problem first.
                "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                  But lets close on this point...until everyone is treated equally by society, the government and the law there are going to be double standards. Dont like it, fix the bigger problem first.
                  And part of treating everyone equal in society is erasing these double standards. How can everyone be treated equal if we keep pointing out the differences between everyone as a reason for something?

It's not being naive, or ignorant, or "white privilege," or whatever. I know it's a very tough task, I know the realities of this world, etc. Gotta start somewhere.

Oh, wait, I can't be the one to do it because then it looks like I am acting out on White Guilt, right?

Comment

And part of treating everyone equal in society is erasing these double standards. How can everyone be treated equal if we keep pointing out the differences between everyone as a reason for something?

It's not being naive, or ignorant, or "white privilege," or whatever. I know it's a very tough task, I know the realities of this world, etc. Gotta start somewhere.

Oh, wait, I can't be the one to do it because then it looks like I am acting out on White Guilt, right?
                    Once the minority is actually equal to the white male, then we can talk. Where they don't have to fear being shot at a higher rate than you. Where they don't have to fight for good schools the same way you do. Where they are not STILL at a huge disadvantage because your parents could own a home while theirs cant. Where they don't have to worry about being challenged and having longer lines to vote than you do. Where they get the same growth opportunities as you do. Where they can get served without some bias, or still have to be worried about getting fired. It took some serious teeth pulling for some of the minorities to be seen on an equal standing when it comes to marriage. And people are still looking for excuses to treat them like sub-people.

You are not even attempting to understand what they are asking for- so why do you think they will understand where you are coming from?

You still don't get that they just want to be treated the same as you, and are proud of who they are in spite of what white males have done over the last few centuries to them. And still do in many cases.

Comment

So by your thinking - we should just act like everyone gets treated equally, and then they magically will be?

There are many, many people in this country that do not treat everyone equally. I'm not just talking about the types that wear white hoods and burn crosses, or shoot anyone with different colored skin - every day, normal people, in ways you likely don't even notice. Until every single one of those people treats everyone equally - there needs to be what you call a "double standard" to even the playing field, or things are never going to change. Like others said, you can't just place an idealistic rule on real people and expect everyone will adhere, and if they don't - oh well, too bad. That changes nothing.

Comment

An amazing hypocrisy in this post. You get upset at the minorities choice of WORDS. But previous posts you get upset that they don't like your choice of WORDS.

Again, you put zero effort into understanding. THAT is why they have to fight for equality.

Comment

• Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                          An amazing hypocrisy in this post. You get upset at the minorities choice of WORDS. But previous posts you get upset that they don't like your choice of WORDS.

Again, you put zero effort into understanding. THAT is why they have to fight for equality.
                          When will the fight be over? When what Brent wants is true?
                          CCT '77 & '78
                          4 kids
                          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Hmm....

In every culture, majority or minority, women face gender discrimination, sometimes quite severe.

Yet here we find a bunch of self-righteous males arguing about how men in minority communities need special treatment because of prior discrimination.

"Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by jen View Post
                              So by your thinking - we should just act like everyone gets treated equally, and then they magically will be?

There are many, many people in this country that do not treat everyone equally. I'm not just talking about the types that wear white hoods and burn crosses, or shoot anyone with different colored skin - every day, normal people, in ways you likely don't even notice. Until every single one of those people treats everyone equally - there needs to be what you call a "double standard" to even the playing field, or things are never going to change. Like others said, you can't just place an idealistic rule on real people and expect everyone will adhere, and if they don't - oh well, too bad. That changes nothing.
                              Not that I agree with Brent's take on this subject or that I suggest people wear "Straight Pride" or similar t-shirts, but do you agree it's fair to say the "standard" I've highlighted in bold will never be met? Being a member of a class that has been historically discriminated against or ostracized is not like being on the endangered species list, where, with a little time, you can find yourself taken off the list. Really what we are talking about here is that it will never be acceptable to wear a "white pride" or "straight pride" or "proud to be male" t-shirt?
                              That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                                When will the fight be over? When what Brent wants is true?
                                I doubt it will ever be over. But it's a good time to check and see if each one of us has biases and we can work on them individually.

Denying someone rights that YOU have just because they are different is a bad thing, joe- and I know you are full in on that. You may be like brent, and deny your biases- it's hard to tell. But you are biased, no question about that.

So demanding that we stop the opposite from people like you two is pretty bad.

It sucks that laws have to be written to prevent bias, and protect people. But it has to be done. Otherwise, we will never be a free society.

Comment

Working...
                                X