Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gear Grinding 7: Really? This crap again?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Gear Grinding 7: Really? This crap again?

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
    Heirlooms mean different things to different people.

While I feel bad, I do not want the home that my dad grew up in, that I'm part owner of. It was a nice place to visit as a kid, but it's not that meaningful. We haven't visited it for well over 10 years.

And other stuff that my parents collected, even as gifts for my siblings and me, they really don't mean anything to me, as I have different interests.

There are really only a handful of items that are historically significant that I'd want to keep track of. The rest is just stuff. Stuff that someone else will likely enjoy.
    I've already said it to my (adult) children and plan on putting it in my will the next time I update it -- "Because something has sentimental value to me doesn't mean it needs to have sentimental value to you." The fancy china and crystal? If you don't want it, sell it and put it toward your kids' education. Stuff that might have historical value? Donate it to a museum (my History teacher son has already chastised me for not doing it already). My high school letter jacket? Dumpster.

Comment

The only heirloom I really care about is my grandparent's cabin on Lake Huron, and it's contents.

Comment

Any notice that the term "freshman" is being replaced by "First-Year"?
        CCT '77 & '78
        4 kids
        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

That's been creeping in there for a few years now.
          FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

• Originally posted by joecct View Post
            Any notice that the term "freshman" is being replaced by "First-Year"?
            Effing Potterheads.

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
              Well my thing is this...when I was at the U of M we had plenty of people shouting at us...not during protests or gatherings just walking to and from class. (ah Brother Jed and his Clan of Misfits) There were racists on campus, there was difference of opinion all over the place and no one really cared. Sure there was the small amount of "Hey look at me I got a cause!!!" people (lots of Suburban White People Wearing Free Mumia Shirts) but for the most part everyone ignored them. Now those people, the ones who make the protestors in PCU look reasonable have taken over the campuses. Those Liberals are the ones I call snowflakes. They are the ones pushing for the police to not use color in descriptions of victims or suspects because it has a bias behind it. They are the ones that dont allow comedians to come to campus because the jokes may hurt der widdle feelings. In the name of their feelings, they censor and attack anyone who might think otherwise.
              What he said.

When I was at tUMD, the Republican group had a booth sorta thing, with stickers that said Straight Is Great!, and had some OBVIOUSLY satirical flyers about the new vegan menus that were coming out. If anyone thought it was actually serious (I should go see if I have the stuff I got from that), they really didn't belong in college, because they were not intelligent enough to get satire/a complete joke. Not kidding, it was so over the top without using any verbage that actually insulted those groups...I still laugh.
              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
              Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

• Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                What he said.

When I was at tUMD, the Republican group had a booth sorta thing, with stickers that said Straight Is Great!, and had some OBVIOUSLY satirical flyers about the new vegan menus that were coming out. If anyone thought it was actually serious (I should go see if I have the stuff I got from that), they really didn't belong in college, because they were not intelligent enough to get satire/a complete joke. Not kidding, it was so over the top without using any verbage that actually insulted those groups...I still laugh.
                'Getting it' still doesn't necessarily make it funny. Have you seen how many stuck-ups around here complain about Seinfeld?

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                  'Getting it' still doesn't necessarily make it funny. Have you seen how many stuck-ups around here complain about Seinfeld?
                  I wish I could remember the menu, it was stuff like "organic mashed potatoes that were grown with help from the compost from baby seals who were fed free-range ice," stuff like that.
                  Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                    I wish I could remember the menu, it was stuff like "organic mashed potatoes that were grown with help from the compost from baby seals who were fed free-range ice," stuff like that.
                    That I do like, but it should not be limited to Republicans. Food source snobbery was a joke even in the early 90s?

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                      That I do like, but it should not be limited to Republicans. Food source snobbery was a joke even in the early 90s?
                      It was the very early stages of veganism, and then the smart ones realized that eating fish was not being a real "vegan." Some still have not figured that out.

Edit: the College Republicans were the only ones at that time to do something like that at the school, and the main focus of the protests were about the Straight Is Great stickers. The hilarious thing was, was that nothing bad was said or promoted about LGBT, so obviously it was anti-gay. Um, no? Just proud of the hetero lifestyle. And that was the point of the whole thing. Y'all are too touchy.
                      Last edited by The Rube; 06-05-2017, 10:38 PM.

Comment

It was the very early stages of veganism, and then the smart ones realized that eating fish was not being a real "vegan." Some still have not figured that out.

Edit: the College Republicans were the only ones at that time to do something like that at the school, and the main focus of the protests were about the Straight Is Great stickers. The hilarious thing was, was that nothing bad was said or promoted about LGBT, so obviously it was anti-gay. Um, no? Just proud of the hetero lifestyle. And that was the point of the whole thing. Y'all are too touchy.
                        So you know, the sticker wasn't really about anti-gay as much as it was- if you are not one of us, you are one of them.

And that really does bother people a lot. The whole goal is to be a real part of a community, and you make "satire" that just says they are not. You probably also don't get it that people who look or talk like they are from someplace else HATE it when you ask where are they from. Again, it points out that they are different, and not a member of the community.

Blow that off all you want, but that is some of the main core of issues.

Comment

Come on Brent you arent that dense. Just because it isnt meant that way doesnt mean that isnt what it is doing. If I wore a shirt that said "White and Proud" it could mean a lot of things but we know exactly what it will mean to certain groups of people. (which is usually the point)

Satire as an excuse works but only insofar as you justifying what you did. If the satire fails and what you do offends people then you gotta take your medicine. (which in this case would just be an apology)
                          "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                          -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                          -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                          -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Isn't there a term for seafood eaters, like pescetarian?

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                              Isn't there a term for seafood eaters, like pescetarian?
                              That's the term.
                              "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                                Come on Brent you arent that dense. Just because it isnt meant that way doesnt mean that isnt what it is doing. If I wore a shirt that said "White and Proud" it could mean a lot of things but we know exactly what it will mean to certain groups of people. (which is usually the point)

Satire as an excuse works but only insofar as you justifying what you did. If the satire fails and what you do offends people then you gotta take your medicine. (which in this case would just be an apology)
                                That's the point. You should be able to wear that shirt. Just like "Gay Pride," and "I'm black and I'm proud."

Why is it any different? Yes, it is different in this world, and for BS reasons. I'd like to eliminate those reasons. It's a double standard. That was the whole point of that college Republican demonstration.

Comment

Working...
                                X