Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gear Grinding 7: Really? This crap again?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Gear Grinding 7: Really? This crap again?

Originally posted by joecct View Post
    If the USA went metric for real, how much of a hassle would it be for you?
    Personally, I'd like to see it happen. There would be issues with regards to a number of professions, like carpentry and plumbing, due to existing product already in existing structures.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
      If the USA went metric for real, how much of a hassle would it be for you?
      The hassle isn't being metric, it's getting there. I just had an interesting conversation with my dad about this over Christmas.

I was in Tucson, AZ over the holidays. Interstate 19 from Tucson to the Mexican border is the only highway in the U.S. which uses the metric system, at least as far as I know. The interstate was constructed back when everyone expected the U.S. to go full metric.

Because of the confusion the signs on the highway create for motorists, Arizona and the feds actually started a plan to replace the signs, as needed, using standard U.S. measurements. However, this plan stalled primarily due to local business opposition.

So, there we have people actually using the metric system, in some small way, but they don't want to change because of the hassle and expense. It's not opposition to the system, it's just making the switch.
      That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
        Did you just hashtag me without using hashtags? Because I'm pretty sure that's exactly what you just did.
        Slashtag?
        If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
          The hassle isn't being metric, it's getting there. I just had an interesting conversation with my dad about this over Christmas.

I was in Tucson, AZ over the holidays. Interstate 19 from Tucson to the Mexican border is the only highway in the U.S. which uses the metric system, at least as far as I know. The interstate was constructed back when everyone expected the U.S. to go full metric.

Because of the confusion the signs on the highway create for motorists, Arizona and the feds actually started a plan to replace the signs, as needed, using standard U.S. measurements. However, this plan stalled primarily due to local business opposition.

So, there we have people actually using the metric system, in some small way, but they don't want to change because of the hassle and expense. It's not opposition to the system, it's just making the switch.
          All the more reason to have sequential exit numbering.

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
            Personally, I'd like to see it happen. There would be issues with regards to a number of professions, like carpentry and plumbing, due to existing product already in existing structures.
            I'm pretty sure carpenters in Canada still use imperial units for lumber.

I was talking with a guy from Australia, and he used inches for lumber dimensions but went by the actual dimensions. It was a 1.5" by 3.5" board, not a "2 by 4" (this was when we were in a dive bar in Denver playing Jenga(TM) made out of 2x4s on a table made out of a metal garbage can and 2'x2' piece of plywood.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post

It isn't metric only, but in Maine, we have part of our interstate system 'owned' by a quasi government agency that was established before the interstate system was created (it does not receive any funding from the State or Feds, it's completely funded by tolls). In general, their mileage signs have both miles and kilometers. I like it that way -- and we get a lot of Canadian tourists: when you enter I95 via I195 (Saco/Old Orchard Beach) there is a mileage sign for Montreal and Quebec -- it's pretty appropriate for that to have miles and kilometers.

The rest of our interstate system and state highways are 'owned'/maintained by the Maine Department of Transportation, and their signs are miles only. It would be nice if it were consistent.

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                My driveway is completely covered in a thin layer of ice. Unfortunately, I can't use salt on my driveway because the homeowners' association decided to put down a new concrete apron in front of my garage and sent notice that salt ruins concrete during the first year it's in place and replacement would be at my expense. They also said I can't use metal tools to remove snow ever. (I didn't follow up to ask them if the same rule applies to our snow removal service.)

So with the light rain we received a couple days ago, and the now sub-zero temps, I have a driveway so slick that I'm refusing to order goods from online retailers because UPS and FedEx deliverers wouldn't be able to safely bring me my packages, and I don't want the lawsuit that would come with a fall.

you can get non-sodium ice melt that is supposed to be safe for concrete

Comment

The transition would not be bad if we went dual for say 10 years.

I mean that's what we're gonna do when we switch to Spanish, right?
                  Cornell University
                  National Champion 1967, 1970
                  ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                  Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                    Having gone out to eat every now and then, one thing that grinds my gears is when restaurant establishment mistakenly label a "Shepherd's Pie", or some similar spelling thereof. Most of the time, it ends up a Cottage Pie. People, if you're going to do a shepherd's pie, use the proper main ingredient: minced lamb. If you're going to use ground beef, call it by its proper name: a cottage pie.
                    THIS!!
                    mr les calls Cottage Pie Chinese Pie. Never understood why.

Comment

• Originally posted by BassAle View Post
                      It isn't metric only, but in Maine, we have part of our interstate system 'owned' by a quasi government agency that was established before the interstate system was created (it does not receive any funding from the State or Feds, it's completely funded by tolls). In general, their mileage signs have both miles and kilometers. I like it that way -- and we get a lot of Canadian tourists: when you enter I95 via I195 (Saco/Old Orchard Beach) there is a mileage sign for Montreal and Quebec -- it's pretty appropriate for that to have miles and kilometers.

The rest of our interstate system and state highways are 'owned'/maintained by the Maine Department of Transportation, and their signs are miles only. It would be nice if it were consistent.
                      Worked on an Illinois DOT project last summer where even though our set of plans was Imperial, the storm sewer work that we had to tie into and elevations given, of a stretch of highway we were reconstructing were done in Metric just a decade ago.

Our field office was filled with metric grade rods and metric linker rods that couldn't be used anymore. And they were all purchased specifically for IDOT's push for metric in the 90's and 2000's. Our RE said he had just closed out an IDOT job in 2014 which was the last Metric job put out to bid.
                      “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                        Having gone out to eat every now and then, one thing that grinds my gears is when restaurant establishment mistakenly label a "Shepherd's Pie", or some similar spelling thereof. Most of the time, it ends up a Cottage Pie. People, if you're going to do a shepherd's pie, use the proper main ingredient: minced lamb. If you're going to use ground beef, call it by its proper name: a cottage pie.
                        And labeling home fries on the menu and getting hash browns. Chaps my arse.
                        A bad cause requires many words.

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
                          THIS!!
                          mr les calls Cottage Pie Chinese Pie. Never understood why.
                          https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/P%C3%A2t%C3%A9_chinois
                          Cornell University
                          National Champion 1967, 1970
                          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

To qualify as Canuck food, shouldn't it have to be made with moose or caribou?

Comment

Originally posted by BassAle View Post
                              you can get non-sodium ice melt that is supposed to be safe for concrete
                              Most non-sodium is actually worse for concrete or it doesn't work in temperatures this low. I use calcium chloride. Probably worse for grass and concrete, but I have a driveway that faces north and is angled down away from the sun. If I don't melt the ice with the salt, the sun won't take care of it until June. Once my CaCl2 runs out, I'm going to look at something a little less environmentally destructive and metal-friendly.

MnDOT has some great literature on ice melt:
                              http://www.mnltap.umn.edu/publicatio...ts/snowice.pdf
                              http://www.dot.state.mn.us/research/...14/TRS1411.pdf
                              http://www.dot.state.mn.us/research/...nts/201220.pdf
                              Code:
                              As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                              College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                              BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                              Originally posted by SanTropez
                              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                              Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                              I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                              Originally posted by Kepler
                              When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Mystery answered!~!

Comment

Working...
                                X