Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gear Grinding 7: Really? This crap again?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Gear Grinding 7: Really? This crap again?

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
    A DVD player I had in my dorm had a piercing blue light. Lit up the room at night. Of course, that meant it was OFF. Ended up having to unplug it when I wasn't using it.
    Turn it on with no DVD in it.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
      Grinding my gears right now: being stuck in the office until 5:00PM. I only have 7 minutes left, but we've not had a support request for almost five hours now. Nobody's in the office with exception to some people putting some finishing touches on various reports, things that do not require my presence. And I'll have to hustle to get to my bus on time because of it being a holiday week and they f---ed with the bus schedules. Mine was moved up 5 minutes, which I can barely get to the bust stop in time during a normal week, and the one after that will be a 20-minute wait. Blah!
      Looks like you were stuck at the office until 5:20
      FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
        Looks like you were stuck at the office until 5:20
        I got off at 5:00 and quite literally ran to the second bus stop five blocks away. I made it just in time, too, saved myself 20 minutes and only had to grow back one lung.
        "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
          Grinding my gears right now: being stuck in the office until 5:00PM. I only have 7 minutes left, but we've not had a support request for almost five hours now. Nobody's in the office with exception to some people putting some finishing touches on various reports, things that do not require my presence. And I'll have to hustle to get to my bus on time because of it being a holiday week and they f---ed with the bus schedules. Mine was moved up 5 minutes, which I can barely get to the bust stop in time during a normal week, and the one after that will be a 20-minute wait. Blah!
          I take it your incoming tickets potentially involve ad-hoc queries/reports against the system(s) you support, and that's why you have to be there (other than overarching schedule requirements)?

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
            I take it your incoming tickets potentially involve ad-hoc queries/reports against the system(s) you support, and that's why you have to be there (other than overarching schedule requirements)?
            Yup. I have inquiry-only access to almost all of the systems in Trust Ops, and modify in a couple of them. When the users complain about whatever, I can usually find what's happening, all the while on the phone with the actual tech people. My job decsription is more along the lines of representing the business to the techs, though I do have the access rights to do a small amount of actual tech work.
            "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

Comment

Some horrible human is trying to poison dogs again in St. Paul. This summer, biscuits with rat poison were tossed into people's yards and ended up killing three dogs. What is wrong with people?
              Code:
              As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
              College Hockey 6       College Football 0
              BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
              Originally posted by SanTropez
              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
              Originally posted by bigblue_dl
              I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
              Originally posted by Kepler
              When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

The guy started up his wretched hobby again, but now he's putting the poison into chunks of bread.

Comment

I just thought about 17 years ago when my Agency and the entire world was in a tizzy about Y2K. All sorts of disaster preparations.

After upteen meetings I developed a "If the lights go out in Tokyo, it's time to worry" attitude. I had the procedures mapped out for the info systems I was responsible for, but if the lights went out, that would be the least of our worries.

As it turned out, the lights stayed on and I earned a full day of OT+ checking out our systems that were fine.

Note: The systems were still written in Clipper S'87 and all we did was add a SET CENTURY ON line in the master program for each system.
                  Last edited by joecct; 12-31-2016, 09:21 PM.
                  CCT '77 & '78
                  4 kids
                  5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                  1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                  - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

If the world didn't spend years and untold sums of cash to fix it' bride hand, I don't think it would have been the non-event it ended up being.
                    Code:
                    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                      If the world didn't spend years and untold sums of cash to fix it' bride hand, I don't think it would have been the non-event it ended up being.
                      That middle part is rather confusing but I think I know what you meant.

Yeah, that was a weird time.
                      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

That was supposed to say 'beforehand'
                        Code:

Comment

That was supposed to say 'beforehand'
                          Is your phone drunk again?
                          I was told there would be no math...

Comment

So I managed to superglue my thumb to my fridge trying to fix a shelf holder tab that broke. To make things funnier, my phone no longer recognizes my thumbprint. 2017 is shaping up to be a really **** year
                            Code:

Comment

So I managed to superglue my thumb to my fridge trying to fix a shelf holder tab that broke. To make things funnier, my phone no longer recognizes my thumbprint. 2017 is shaping up to be a really **** year
                              /firstworldproblems /nutshell
                              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                              Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Did you just hashtag me without using hashtags? Because I'm pretty sure that's exactly what you just did.
                                Code:

Comment

Working...
                                X