Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gear Grinding 7: Really? This crap again?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Twitch Boy
    replied
    Re: Gear Grinding 7: Really? This crap again?

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
    Asus. Only lappys I've dealt with. My first one lasted about 7 years or so. Just a beast. I was just mad about this last one, because I didn't put it through as much as my first lappy, and it died quicker. When I bought my new one, the salesguy asked about any other models/what I use it for, and I told him, he said "Yup, Asus is what you want."
    Asus is quality. Even their cheap crap is pretty decent.

Dell is okay for home, but their real strength is business.

HP is hit or miss, mostly miss lately.

Avoid Lenovo. They got busted for openly pre-installing spyware on their laptops.

I'm on an Acer all-in-one (the compact units that look like a giant monitor.) It's been meh. Probably wouldn't buy again.

Leave a comment:

• FadeToBlack&Gold
    replied

SSD technology is the best thing to ever happen to HDDs - no more magnetic storage platters that require moving parts to read/write. Not to mention, it makes computers whisper-quiet. Only noise now comes from fans, and even those not are as big of a deal as they used to be, as most of us move to laptops.

I'm going on 6 years with this laptop. It was a custom build from a company whose owners unfortunately (for me) just retired back in January. Been looking at my options, because I know this one's days are probably numbered.
    Last edited by FadeToBlack&Gold; 06-10-2017, 08:07 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Hammer
    replied

Asus. Only lappys I've dealt with. My first one lasted about 7 years or so. Just a beast. I was just mad about this last one, because I didn't put it through as much as my first lappy, and it died quicker. When I bought my new one, the salesguy asked about any other models/what I use it for, and I told him, he said "Yup, Asus is what you want."
    MY tech guy swapped out my failed hard drive with a solid state one, and this thing has run like a top ever since.

Leave a comment:

• The Rube
    replied

Originally posted by French Rage View Post
    What brand?

Leave a comment:

• French Rage
    replied

F*ing computer f*ing died and the f*er isn't even 5 years old. Ugh madface
    What brand?

Leave a comment:

• melmac
    replied

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
    My computer drank two fingers of bourbon...had to shop for a new one. Why must every laptop/2-in-1 have a keyboard for infant hands?

I honestly was more upset about the wasted bourbon...it was good stuff :/
    Executive order?

Leave a comment:

• The Rube
    replied

Did all the tricks. Was getting blue screen of death this morning......came home later to deal with it and couldn't even get to that point. I will be honest, this was only my 3rd comp in 22 years or so. ButI now have a new one, just setting it up now. /postingfromKindle

Leave a comment:

• Handyman
    replied

My computer drank two fingers of bourbon...had to shop for a new one. Why must every laptop/2-in-1 have a keyboard for infant hands?

I honestly was more upset about the wasted bourbon...it was good stuff :/

Leave a comment:

• Hammer
    replied
    My hard drive took a **** about 4 days after the 90-day warranty was up. That was $300 that I didn't need, I guess.

Leave a comment:

• Jimjamesak
    replied
    Try cleaning it out, checking stuff like the CPU fan.

Leave a comment:

• The Rube
    replied

Leave a comment:

• The Rube
    replied

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
    So basically labels are appropriate when it's used to the advantage of the person trying to create the sense of oppression of a discriminating manner. Yet, I thought the whole point was to not have said discrimination and that we're all just people.
    Wrong. Look at it from a historical textbook situation. When teaching the history of the US, and these subjects come up, it is entirely appropriate when discussing presidents that Obama was the first black president.

When (if, but I'm going to assume when) we get to the 5th, 10th, etc black president, that president being black should not be mentioned as such. S/he's just "president."
    Same goes with Michael Sam.

The first (insert whatever minority group) should get recognition as such in history lessons.

Leave a comment:

• Slap Shot
    replied

I am 100% positive for every ounce of satire they were trying to portray there's an ounce of sincerity behind the meme. In that sense they completely lose any sense of credibility in trying to send a message.

Leave a comment:

• FlagDUDE08
    replied

I am definitely not trying to be dismissive.

A poster (don't recall, not looking back) said that Obama and Sam should keep those labels of "black" and "openly gay" for historic purposes. I can agree with that, if it is relevant to the story itself, as in history.

I feel that if you point out those labels in EVERY story, you are pointing out how they are "different" than the societal "norms." I would rather not have it pointed out, because it is a societal "norm" etc. You know? I may not be explaining it right, I'm much more able to express my viewpoint verbally than in text.

Example: Michael Sam became the first openly gay NFL player today.
    Flipside: Michael Sam, who is openly gay, was traded today.

The latter has no business in mentioning his orientation in the trade release. Has nothing to do with it.

Finally, I'm 50/50 on Kluwe and his views. We've actually corresponded a couple times. Neither of us talk AT each other, we talk WITH each other, and that's a good thing.
    So basically labels are appropriate when it's used to the advantage of the person trying to create the sense of oppression of a discriminating manner. Yet, I thought the whole point was to not have said discrimination and that we're all just people.

Leave a comment:

• The Rube
    replied

I didn't wear the shirt. I mentioned the event, which I thought was funny and satirical. I wasn't even part of that organization (there were some views I didn't agree with).

Leave a comment:

Working...
X