X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Campaign 2016 Part XVIII: I'm OK, You're Deplorable

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    This does not give me confidence.
    Yeah, she really knows what she's doing.

In fact, she's currently running one of the more ineffective campaigns I've seen, given who she is up against.

I tried to explain away the coughing fits and the pneumonia induced fainting, and have always chalked up the Clinton health crap as just that, crap. But right now even I'm beginning to wonder.
    Is this why she made fewer public campaign events in August and spent more time in private, expensive fund raising events? The optics of her comments after the bombings on Saturday looked awful. She was haggard, drawn and her voice was missing most of its shrillness, meaning it was weak. More cancelled events today?

The supposed memo on the Daily Kos link is bizarre. That kind of bravado in the face of what anyone with an open eye can see is odd, to say the least. Usually even if you know you have nothing to worry about you craft the message about how it's a 50/50 fight and work your hardest to get your voters to the polls. Lou Holtz was famous for speaking of Rice or Navy (when we used to be able to beat teams like that regularly) as if they had 85 Heisman Trophy candidates suited up, when everyone knew the final score was likely to be 56-7.

If she and Bill would only unleash that famous Clinton machine I've read wondrously scary things about...

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
      So you idiots would gladly and willingly vote for a corrupt and incompetent moron just to shoot the finger at the political establishment? What are you, six?
      Welcome to most of the last few elections.

Handy, for what it's worth, has pretty much nailed it. Hillary is beyond crappy. And Trump is a million times worse. Welcome to American politics. We'll elect someone who's simply less bad than their opponent.
      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
        So you idiots would gladly and willingly vote for a corrupt and incompetent moron just to shoot the finger at the political establishment? What are you, six?
        If it were just a vote against the establishment I might follow--I have voted SCOTUS that way in the past. But forget about what the dems have said about Trump or the manner in which they have characterized his past or his actions. What I have seen him say he will do at his own events I find abhorrent, contrary to our constitution, and shockingly childish. I was old enough to get involved in the anger, excitement and fear of the late 60s. I get that people get fed up and want something different, but why do you suppose not a single poster here has come forward to declare he or she will vote for Trump. Many of them want change too, but they know what they see.

Comment

And normally I would sit it out and let the chips fall but I cant do it this time. This isnt a "Left/Right" thing this is way different. Drumpf is incompetent and narcissistic with a big ole helping of corrupt thrown in (with an added dash of fascism for taste) and I cannot abide that man being president I dont care how much I hate the system. You dont blow up your car cause the radio doesnt work, you dont shoot your wife because she didnt clean the dishes and you dont screw 300 million people (plus the rest of the world) just because you hate Hillary Clinton.
          "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
          -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
          -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
          -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
            Which of the last few elections were between corrupt or incompetent morons? Obama? Romney? Bush? Palin was unquestionably incompetent but she was VP candidate. McCain?

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
              If it were just a vote against the establishment I might follow--I have voted SCOTUS that way in the past. But forget about what the dems have said about Trump or the manner in which they have characterized his past or his actions. What I have seen him say he will do at his own events I find abhorrent, contrary to our constitution, and shockingly childish. I was old enough to get involved in the anger, excitement and fear of the late 60s. I get that people get fed up and want something different, but why do you suppose not a single poster here has come forward to declare he or she will vote for Trump. Many of them want change too, but they know what they see.
              I think that is also part of the problem with the polls. I think a lot of pollsters have no idea how to identify a lot of people. Normally anyone with a history of voting Dem or GOP would automatically be put in that way but this year is something completely different.
              "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
              -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
              -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
              -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post

Handy, for what it's worth, has pretty much nailed it. Hillary is beyond crappy. And Trump is a million times worse. Welcome to American politics. We'll elect someone who's simply less bad than their opponent.
                When our economy craters enough to make the great recession of 2008-2009 (or really 2007-2011) look like the recession that cost HW Bush his job, you know the one that was so mild it was actually over before Bill Clinton even announced he was running, I hope everyone that did not vote for Clinton is happy that they didn't just vote for someone who is less bad than their opponent. Obama was less bad than McCain or Romney. Hell, maybe it was the other way around. Clinton will/would be an ineffective president. Trump is going to damage this nation (and the world probably) in ways we have not seen since the times of Pierce and Buchanan. The worst part is we won't have an Abraham Lincoln to set the nation on a righteous path in the aftermath.

Comment

Obama was neither corrupt nor incompetent (as far as politicians go). He just made decisions I disagreed with. Clinton (Bill), and W were corrupt, in different ways. Romney and McCain (and throw W in there at times, unfortunately crucial times) were incompetent. Gore was also incompetent. I always thought he'd make for a better "background" guy in the upper echelons of government, despite my differences with him.
                  Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

What decisions were those?
                    Code:
                    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                    Originally posted by SanTropez
                    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                    Originally posted by Kepler
                    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
                      Which of the last few elections were between corrupt or incompetent morons? Obama? Romney? Bush? Palin was unquestionably incompetent but she was VP candidate. McCain?
                      Dubya is pretty incompetent, and Cheney (the man who actually ran the country) is as corrupt as they come.

McCain is corrupt from years of being lobbied. Palin is a dumb c*nt.

Romney is a fundamentally decent guy who has spent too much time in the ivory tower and has terrible ideas. Ryan is a corrupt weasel.

Obama has fallen victim to lobbyist corruption over the years. Biden is the blue McCain - they ARE the machine.

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                        What decisions were those?
                        Obamacare for one. Luckily, at my company, they grandfathered senior employees into the original health care program (I would be one of them). The new people? They are paying out their arse for health care right now. Rising costs and such.

Comment

Wait wait wait. Romeny and McCain were completely incompetent and W was only sometimes incompetent?
                          Code:
                          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                          Originally posted by SanTropez
                          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                          Originally posted by Kepler
                          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                            Wait wait wait. Romeny and McCain were completely incompetent and W was only sometimes incompetent?
                            W was more corrupt than incompetent. However, the specific instances he was incompetent were HUGE.

Comment

• Originally posted by rufus View Post
                              If you'd paid attention at all you'd know I'm not six, I'm not an idiot and I'm not voting for Trump.
                              That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

As someone who is on record as sitting this entire stupid-*** election out, the amount of heated vitriol I've gotten from people on BOTH sides, often using the exact same rhetoric ("A VOTE FOR X IS A VOTE FOR Y!!!," "HOW CAN YOU SIT THIS OUT AND LET CLINTON/TRUMP BECOME PRESIDENT?!?!?") has been very, VERY illuminating. Both sides seem to realize they've nominated the worst possible candidates, and are just rooting for their political sports team at this point.

Comment

Working...
                                X