This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
    A vote for Trump - a man born with a silver spoon in his mouth, a man who made his fortunes painstakingly off the back of a $100m endowment, who's often when sued used his massive resources to run roughshod over his accusers in court, who's a corporate shill, who's used his vast fortunes to play the Wall Street game, the corporate game and to foster political favors for decades, who's filed bankruptcy several times over, who's had several failed businesses, who's stolen money from his charity to payoff lawsuits, who's hobnobbed with the wealthiest of the wealthy for decades, I could probably go on - is an eff you to whom exactly?
    The most condensed summary is "the political establishment." We saw it first in the Republican race, and many of you here got a good chuckle out of it because it wasn't your ox getting gored. Welcome to the party.
    That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

• Re: Campaign 2016 Part XVIII: I'm OK, You're Deplorable

Elon University is saying NC is now 44/43 Trump, yet the Clinton campaign called off a Tuesday fundraiser in Chapel Hill and no reason was given for postponement of the event.

What did some miss out on?

“Lunch with Hillary Rodham Clinton”: $100,000, which featured “chair reception with Hillary,” $33,000, which included a “host reception with Hillary,” $5,000, which included “preferred seating” and $2,700. Complementary rubber chicken dinner included with each level.
      Last edited by The Sicatoka; 09-20-2016, 09:13 PM.
      The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Sounds better than the one Drumpf through here...those ******** didnt even get dinner!
        "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
        -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
        -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
        -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
          The most condensed summary is "the political establishment."
          Which is hilarious because he's the epitome of everything Republicans represent.

Comment

This does not give me confidence.
            Cornell University
            National Champion 1967, 1970
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

The most condensed summary is "the political establishment." We saw it first in the Republican race, and many of you here got a good chuckle out of it because it wasn't your ox getting gored. Welcome to the party.
              Well no offense but then those people are *** morons and arent worth the oxygen they breathe. I am all for giving the finger to the establishment (remember I am a Bernie guy) but I am not going to set my condo on fire just because I find the property company makes stupid decisions and charges too much. Electing Drumpf because you hate the current system is like firing an incompetent worker because he is always on Facebook and hiring someone with a history of stealing because he doesnt have a Facebook account. The solution is worse than the original problem...
              "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
              -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
              -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
              -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                This does not give me confidence.
                Why? Too much of a Stuart Smalley vibe to it?
                The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

My ancestors on my Mom's side are Irish, but they came over in the late 1800s (Donegal). However, we have this:

http://settingrecordstraight.blogspo...laves.html?m=1
                  CCT '77 & '78
                  4 kids
                  5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                  1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                  - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                    Well no offense but then those people are *** morons and arent worth the oxygen they breathe.
                    I swear I read the same about eight years ago about a group voting for a candidate. But it was coming from the other side of the aisle.

@SJHovey: The intro of that book seems to describe things right now all too well:

According to a 2014 Pew study of over 10,000 Americans, the most politically engaged on each side see those in the “other party” not just as wrong, but as “so misguided that they threaten the nation’s well-being”.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                      My ancestors on my Mom's side are Irish, but they came over in the late 1800s (Donegal). However, we have this:

http://settingrecordstraight.blogspo...laves.html?m=1
                      I'm German.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
                        I swear I read the same about eight years ago about a group voting for a candidate. But it was coming from the other side of the aisle.

@SJHovey: The intro of that book seems to describe things right now all too well:
                        Yes voting for Obama is the same as voting for Drumpf...you drinking?
                        -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                          Yes voting for Obama is the same as voting for Drumpf...you drinking?
                          No, and no, but the hyperbolic rhetoric still has a familiar echo.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

No, I've made my peace with Hillary's popularity or lack thereof. After all, as much of a problem as it is for her, Trump has nearly identical numbers.

What worries me is the possibility that this memo is real, and the campaign is oblivious to what has been happening and could happen. Even a passing acquaintance with the quantitative methodology underlying polling refutes or renders irrelevant the gist of the memo. It does not matter if Trump's path to victory is more narrow if Trump is on pace to thread it, and that is nearly where he is.

What is needed is a well-defined plan to open many fronts and leverage Hillary's significant field and data advantages. But that isn't what I take from that memo.
                            Last edited by Kepler; 09-20-2016, 09:58 PM.
                            Cornell University
                            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

No, and no, but the hyperbolic rhetoric still has a familiar echo.
                              This is false equivalence. Yes, there were people who said Obama would endanger the country. Those people are insane (or more likely just cynics using rhetoric to their partisan advantage). No doubt there were people who said the same about McCain and Romney, and they were crazy too.

Trump is different, for reasons which I have tried to lay out before. Plenty of other commentators have tried to do the same. Some of these are conservatives and Republicans. That alone should alert you to the possibility that this really is a special case.

I'm not really sure how to convince you. Perhaps Trump has already been normalized to the point that people just do not see the danger and the betrayal of our tradition of republican institutions.

You seem to be arguing that those of us who are trying to warn, while we may be sincere, are too cognitively biased by our partisanship to see that we are overestimating the danger. That logic cuts the other way too: by your own argument you may be too cognitively biased by your partisanship to see that you are underestimating the danger.
                              Cornell University

Comment

So you idiots would gladly and willingly vote for a corrupt and incompetent moron just to shoot the finger at the political establishment? What are you, six?
                                What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Working...
                                X