This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Campaign 2016 Part XVIII: I'm OK, You're Deplorable

A perfect synopsis of how America is losing, even if Trump loses. America is like that one hot girl we all knew who always seemed to have jerks as boyfriends. Guys who would cheat on her, disrespect her or sometimes even hurt her. It would get so frustrating and at times we even wondered if at the end of the day that's what she was actually attracted to. At the end of the day, far too many of us are attracted to the bad boy. The bully. So Trump talks tough and a lot of us swoon. Trump is hardly the first politician to have figured this out. But he has done it better than the rest of the bunch. If more men in this country were actually secure in their own masculinity someone like Trump might not have been able to have the kind of success he's enjoyed on the campaign so far.

The most amazing -- and saddest -- thing to me is that Clinton's numbers appeared to wane when she gave what I thought was her most powerful speech of the campaign in Reno on August 25th. She forcefully linked Trump to all the racist supporters he was bringing out. She linked him to all the hateful rhetoric of the so called alt-right. She pointed out in the most powerful words yet how truly unqualified he is to be the commander-in-chief. On that day her odds on the 538.com polls+ forecast were almost as high as they'd been in the race, with the methodology giving her a 76% chance of victory. The now-cast number was 86%. Today those numbers are around 60% and 57% and 68 electoral votes in 4 very different states (OH, NC, FL and NV) have flipped from her to Trump.

Where is this vaunted Clinton machine we have heard so much about? Where is this beast that we were told would devour any news organization that insisted on smearing her, or this seasoned group of take-no-prisoners advisors who would turn every Trump misstep into an advantage, and turn every momentary setback into a plus? All I've seen is a candidate who appears lost. The incident on Sunday was probably the final misstep she could make and still hope to win.

If she wins, my guess is her map will look a lot like the now-cast map on 538 looks today, which by my glance amounts to about a 1 state margin of error. Along with that kind of a win comes little chance of taking the senate, something that a month ago seemed secure. And my guess is an election that close will leave at least one state looking just like Florida in 2000. Anyone here think if Trump is on the losing end of a state like that that would put him over the top he's going to accept the results gracefully? I didn't think so.

After the 2016 presidential election it ain't gonna be a political party doing a postmortem, it's going to be the entire nation. Because if a completely useless piece of 5h!t like Donald Trump can even get a sniff of a major party nomination, let alone extend the race all the way to the final weeks or days, we're all losers.

Comment

• Originally posted by unofan View Post
      They would still be the electors. The ballot wouldn't change. And that would equally affect voting day voters as much as early voters.

I don't know all 50 states' election laws, but presumably they would still count the same as any other vote, because as I've said before, the ballots wouldn't change.

Don't see how it matters.

"if the President elect shall have failed to qualify, then the Vice President elect shall act as President until a President shall have qualified."

It's pretty clear that if the president elect dies, the VP elect becomes President.

Again, your initial statement was conspiracy theory level babble that early votes risk being voided. That is some grade A b.s. designed to discourage voting.
      No it wasn't. I was reiterating what I read on an article that I am trying to find. There is sufficient fogginess that has not been addressed by the legislatures and Congress.

The Constitution is silent/vague on who becomes president if the president-elect becomes unable to serve between election day and the (meeting of the electoral college/votes counted in the Senate).

After he/she is "elected" and cannot serve, the VP-elect becomes president. That much is clear. However, during the interregnum we have the stuff that makes constitutional lawyers drool.

Statistically, one day it will happen.
      CCT '77 & '78
      4 kids
      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
        No it wasn't. I was reiterating what I read on an article that I am trying to find. There is sufficient fogginess that has not been addressed by the legislatures and Congress.

The Constitution is silent/vague on who becomes president if the president-elect becomes unable to serve between election day and the (meeting of the electoral college/votes counted in the Senate).

After he/she is "elected" and cannot serve, the VP-elect becomes president. That much is clear. However, during the interregnum we have the stuff that makes constitutional lawyers drool.

Statistically, one day it will happen.
        None of which has anything to do with voting on election day versus voting early before election day.

Comment

If you're wondering about this election, try this one - the people are tired of being lied to by their political masters.

IMO, we need more better candidates at the grass roots level. Then the revolution can trickle uphill instead of down.
          CCT '77 & '78
          4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

• Originally posted by joecct View Post
            If you're wondering about this election, try this one - the people are tired of being lied to by their political masters.

IMO, we need more better candidates at the grass roots level. Then the revolution can trickle uphill instead of down.
            Psssst..... Johnson / Weld

Comment

Johnson is a nimrod and is just as bad as the rest of them. Stein too.

Aleppo? His entire campaign revolves around crippling the government and legalizing weed. Nice. I'd like to think of myself as a libertarian, but most of the party's policies on the size of government are bordering on the absurd. I like a lot of their social policies, but the idea we can abolish the IRS, DoEd, or any of the rest of the alphabet soup is probably unworkable.

Stein might be worse. Worse than trump even. Her crackpot theories on vaccines was where I drew the line. There were other minor problems and major problems with her candidacy and platform, but that was it for me. Everyone knows he's a crackpot. She's viewed as an "intelligent" alternative.
              Code:
              As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
              College Hockey 6       College Football 0
              BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
              Originally posted by SanTropez
              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
              Originally posted by bigblue_dl
              I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
              Originally posted by Kepler
              When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by WeAreNDHockey View Post
                A perfect synopsis of how America is losing, even if Trump loses. America is like that one hot girl we all knew who always seemed to have jerks as boyfriends. Guys who would cheat on her, disrespect her or sometimes even hurt her. It would get so frustrating and at times we even wondered if at the end of the day that's what she was actually attracted to. At the end of the day, far too many of us are attracted to the bad boy. The bully. So Trump talks tough and a lot of us swoon. Trump is hardly the first politician to have figured this out. But he has done it better than the rest of the bunch. If more men in this country were actually secure in their own masculinity someone like Trump might not have been able to have the kind of success he's enjoyed on the campaign so far.

The most amazing -- and saddest -- thing to me is that Clinton's numbers appeared to wane when she gave what I thought was her most powerful speech of the campaign in Reno on August 25th. She forcefully linked Trump to all the racist supporters he was bringing out. She linked him to all the hateful rhetoric of the so called alt-right. She pointed out in the most powerful words yet how truly unqualified he is to be the commander-in-chief. On that day her odds on the 538.com polls+ forecast were almost as high as they'd been in the race, with the methodology giving her a 76% chance of victory. The now-cast number was 86%. Today those numbers are around 60% and 57% and 68 electoral votes in 4 very different states (OH, NC, FL and NV) have flipped from her to Trump.

Where is this vaunted Clinton machine we have heard so much about? Where is this beast that we were told would devour any news organization that insisted on smearing her, or this seasoned group of take-no-prisoners advisors who would turn every Trump misstep into an advantage, and turn every momentary setback into a plus? All I've seen is a candidate who appears lost. The incident on Sunday was probably the final misstep she could make and still hope to win.

If she wins, my guess is her map will look a lot like the now-cast map on 538 looks today, which by my glance amounts to about a 1 state margin of error. Along with that kind of a win comes little chance of taking the senate, something that a month ago seemed secure. And my guess is an election that close will leave at least one state looking just like Florida in 2000. Anyone here think if Trump is on the losing end of a state like that that would put him over the top he's going to accept the results gracefully? I didn't think so.

After the 2016 presidential election it ain't gonna be a political party doing a postmortem, it's going to be the entire nation. Because if a completely useless piece of 5h!t like Donald Trump can even get a sniff of a major party nomination, let alone extend the race all the way to the final weeks or days, we're all losers.
                Ya know, Scooby does this a lot better.
                Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

That's so simplistic and unhelpful. We have ample supply of good, honest people at the local level participating in school boards, city and county boards, charitable foundation boards, hospital boards, and state elective offices. More than enough. Some of them rise to elective office on a federal level.

I'm not saying every good, idealistic man or woman who emerges at the local level turns into Willie Stark, but it's a complicated issue, just as our country and this world is complicated. Perhaps other like Kepler and some conservative posters who are knowledgeable about such things can comment, but simply saying we need more good people at the grass roots level, while true in the sense that there can never be too many good people, is not very helpful, IMO.

Comment

If people are tired of liars why are half of them voting for Drumpf? (or Clinton since apparently she is the liar of all liars despite fact checking saying otherwise) Sorry but that is pure BS. It ranks up there with "People want creative music not pop crap" despite poppy music outselling creative music by leaps and bounds and hearing about how moviegoers want lots of story and cretive scripts then watching as those movies barely break even while "Super Blow Up Action Film Part 5" makes a billion dollars.

The masses dont want what you think they want, they prove when they vote. If they hated the "liars" like you say they do they wouldnt be voting period.

And sorry eric but Johnson is just not the guy to be hitching your wagon too. I dont trust him to run the country. I like some of his ideas but he would be a disaster as the President.
                    Last edited by Handyman; 09-16-2016, 07:40 AM.
                    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by burd View Post
                      That's so simplistic and unhelpful. We have ample supply of good, honest people at the local level participating in school boards, city and county boards, charitable foundation boards, hospital boards, and state elective offices. More than enough. Some of them rise to elective office on a federal level.

I'm not saying every good, idealistic man or woman who emerges at the local level turns into Willie Stark, but it's a complicated issue, just as our country and this world is complicated. Perhaps other like Kepler and some conservative posters who are knowledgeable about such things can comment, but simply saying we need more good people at the grass roots level, while true in the sense that there can never be too many good people, is not very helpful, IMO.
                      Career politicians are for ****. **** them
                      a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

I can feel the Trump victory. It's there. I saw a poll this morning where they think Hillary lies more than Trump. ROTFLMAO.
                        **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                        Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                          I can feel the Trump victory. It's there. I saw a poll this morning where they think Hillary lies more than Trump. ROTFLMAO.
                          Are there that many people in this country stupid and gullible enough to let the LIAR!! campaign be Clinton's undoing?

Rhetorical question--I know the answer is "yes."

I also know the idiot's answer is that people are not stupid just because they don't like liars.

Grrr. I need some college hockey.

Comment

I honestly think Drumpfers like him BECAUSE he lies. They like he doesnt even hide it or try to defend he just lies and moves on and they love him for it.
                            "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                            -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                            -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                            -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                              I honestly think Drumpfers like him BECAUSE he lies. They like he doesnt even hide it or try to defend he just lies and moves on and they love him for it.
                              Trump is a middle finger. The lying is a part of the act.

How do you deal with a middle finger?
                              Cornell University
                              National Champion 1967, 1970
                              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                                Career politicians are for ****. **** them
                                Well said.
                                CCT '77 & '78
                                4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Working...
                                X