X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Campaign 2016 Part XVIII: I'm OK, You're Deplorable

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    538 tries to figure out the percentage of Trump supporters who are deplorable.

tl; dr: We don't have decent data yet, because there hasn't been good targeted polling of Trump supporters on their beliefs. But given that this race will probably set records for analysis when all is said and done, we will likely wind up with tons of raw data quantifying just how sexist, racist, Islamaphobic, homophobic and hateful in general Trump supporters are both themselves and as compared with the rest of the electorate.
    Here's what I've been wondering. A fair number of people on this Board have commented on friends or relatives who have indicated they support Trump. Are those friends and relatives included in the sexist, racist, Islamaphobic, homophobic and hateful "deplorables", or is this like Congressmen, where your guy is ok, but it's everyone else's guy who is deplorable?
    That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
      More about the health. And it's pretty sad when you have to turn to English media, because the American fan-girls will cover-up issues. http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/...dementia-claim
      The word is there are sites out there claiming all police brutality claims are a fabrication conspiracy run by someone in your basement. Do you believe those too? I hear they have pichers.

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
        You do know that slander is illegal correct?
        First, it's libel, not slander. Second, it's not illegal (a crime), at least not here. You can be sued for it though.
        That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
          More about the health. And it's pretty sad when you have to turn to English media, because the American fan-girls will cover-up issues. http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/...dementia-claim
          An MMSE is not diagnostic for "advancing sub-cortical dementia".
          The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post
            You do know that "slander" is "illegal," "correct?"
            I skimmed the article. Fixed your post.

Seriously, could "there" have "been" any more "random" "words" that were quoted "for emphasis" in that article?
            “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

• Originally posted by aparch View Post
              I skimmed the article. Fixed your post.

Seriously, could "there" have "been" any more "random" "words" that were quoted "for emphasis" in that article?
              Which is how to skirt the libel laws. Talking negatively about a group, however, will land you in a reeducation camp.
              CCT '77 & '78
              4 kids
              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
                Think about what you just said: You just gave the pro voter ID folks their solution.
                So you are suggesting that the voter ID people start attacking voting locations?

Which would put republicans even more in line with ISIS. Good job.

Like voter fraud, violence at voting locations isn't a problem that needs solved.

Whereas nutjobs have attacked federal buildings killing a lot of people.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                  Which is how to skirt the libel laws. Talking negatively about a group, however, will land you in a reeducation camp.
                  Is it that hard not to be an *******? Geez.

Comment

• Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                    Here's what I've been wondering. A fair number of people on this Board have commented on friends or relatives who have indicated they support Trump. Are those friends and relatives included in the sexist, racist, Islamaphobic, homophobic and hateful "deplorables", or is this like Congressmen, where your guy is ok, but it's everyone else's guy who is deplorable?
                    The guys on my hockey team who support him are racists and definitely sexist. Not in the "I think they should still be slaves" manner or even dropping the n-bomb, but they have no problem making casual statements about "those people"

Comment

This guys a grad from Cornell Law. He has to be an expert!

http://conservativetribune.com/looph...ign=manualpost

Is the president "elected" on election day or on the day the electoral votes are counted on the floor of the Senate?
                      CCT '77 & '78
                      4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                        Is the president "elected" on election day or on the day the electoral votes are counted on the floor of the Senate?
                        I would assume the latter.
                        Cornell University
                        National Champion 1967, 1970
                        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                          I would assume the latter.
                          I would think so too. But these days, you never know.
                          CCT '77 & '78
                          4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

I love that photo, because those guys were helping little old ladies -- white and black. WhiteSupremacist.com (a.k.a. Breitbart and Drudge) took it viral because OMG THE ELEMENT!!!111! So every time the trogs post that photo, they're commenting on racism alright. Just not the way they think.
                            Cornell University
                            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                              Saying half of Trump's supporters are scum is also saying half of Trump's supporters aren't scum.

But also, you can be racist or sexist or -- especially, given where some of this country is still stuck -- homophobic and not be a scumbucket. You might just come from a backwater, or have an icky parent or an icky pastor. There are people on this forum who I wouldn't mind having as coworkers or as friends who also say and think laughably homophobic things because their daddy or their priest taught them those things or because they just don't know any better. Within the confines of that topic they're creepy, but that doesn't make them Universally Creepy.

Good people can have racist beliefs, and because they are good people, or because they know other good people with racist beliefs, they convince themselves they aren't really racist, because Racist is Bad. But that's a misunderstanding of the way racism works. People think of it as an attribute of an Evil Person. It's always portrayed that way in fiction. A racist is a monster -- therefore, if I'm not a monster I can't be a racist. But bigotry comes in with mother's milk, and really good people can be really racist.

40-something percent of Republican whites think blacks are "less intelligent" than whites. And before my side celebrates, it's about 30-something percent of Democratic whites. That's insanely racist. There is absolutely no link between intelligence and race, because race isn't a real thing when it comes to the genetic characteristics of intelligence. When people post statistics showing differences in achievement between whites and blacks, they are proving that poverty is a b-tch and really screws you up, and that people who are mixed in with the general social attitudes towards poverty also face prejudice even if they are nice well-scrubbed middle class "good ones." That's why every black parent teaches their children they have to be twice as good to get half the respect.
                              Last edited by Kepler; 09-14-2016, 10:41 AM.
                              Cornell University

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                                Saying half of Trump's supporters are scum is also saying half of Trump's supporters aren't scum.

But also, you can be racist or sexist or -- especially, given where some of this country is still stuck -- homophobic and not be a scumbucket. You might just come from a backwater, or have an icky parent or an icky pastor. There are people on this forum who I wouldn't mind having as coworkers or as friends who also say and think laughably homophobic things because their daddy or their priest taught them those things or because they just don't know any better. Within the confines of that topic they're creepy, but that doesn't make them Universally Creepy.

Good people can have racist beliefs, and because they are good people, or because they know other good people with racist beliefs, they convince themselves they aren't really racist, because Racist is Bad. But that's a misunderstanding of the way racism works. People think of it as an attribute of an Evil Person. It's always portrayed that way in fiction. A racist is a monster -- therefore, if I'm not a monster I can't be a racist. But bigotry comes in with mother's milk, and really good people can be really racist.
                                Are those really good people deplorable and irredeemable, or do they fall in the other half?

Comment

Working...
                                X