• Show
Clear All

• Happy Birthday, Star Trek!

It was fifty years ago today
    That Gene taught the boys how to play.*
    They've never since been out of style,
    still guaranteed to raise a smile
    Let me re-introduce to you
    The show you've known for all these years.

We hope you still enjoy the show
    (and the sequels and the movies....)

* With spaceships and phasers and transporters and communicators and other cool stuff.
    Last edited by FreshFish; 09-08-2016, 01:40 PM.
    "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Re: Happy Birthday, Star Trek!

BBC begins a marathon of all TOS tonight at 8 EST

Always go for simple:

It was 50 years ago today
    Roddenberry taught the band to play
    Last edited by Kepler; 09-08-2016, 01:41 PM.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

subscribe

Comment

Man Trap (salt is bad for your health)
        The Charlie episode (spoiled brat)
        Where No Man Has Gone Before (pilot #2 with Sally Kellerman)

1966 was a very good year. Yankees finished in last place 0.5 games behind the Red Sox (who lost 90 games to Yankees 89)
        CCT '77 & '78
        4 kids
        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
          1966 was a very good year. Yankees finished in last place 0.5 games behind the Red Sox (who lost 90 games to Yankees 89)

And Clarkson laid an egg in the NCAA championship game.
          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post

And Clarkson laid an egg in the NCAA championship game.
            To a 15-10 Michigan State Team.
            CCT '77 & '78
            4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

One of the fun things about the original series was that they could get away with things that no other show at that time could even try, since it was "science fiction."

One of the most memorable shows for me had two aliens in relentless mortal combat. One was white on the left side and black on the right side, and the other was black on the left side and white on the right side. They were the only two survivors of their entire planet, which had been totally destroyed by warfare between the two groups. As the only two survivors, they kept trying to kill each other, deaf to anything and anyone else.

Then of course there was the infamous kiss between Kirk and Uhuru. I didn't think anything of it at the time, after all, she was the only recurring female lead. Yet in some quarters, an onscreen kiss between a white man and a black woman was considered scandalous.

and the way they tweaked the censors was fun for a young lad. I recall reading years later that Roddenberry and friends deliberately tried to push boundaries by dressing alien women in the scantiest, sexiest costumes they could think of. As long as it was "alien" enough they got it through.

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                One of the fun things about the original series was that they could get away with things that no other show at that time could even try, since it was "science fiction."

One of the most memorable shows for me had two aliens in relentless mortal combat. One was white on the left side and black on the right side, and the other was black on the left side and white on the right side. They were the only two survivors of their entire planet, which had been totally destroyed by warfare between the two groups. As the only two survivors, they kept trying to kill each other, deaf to anything and anyone else.

Then of course there was the infamous kiss between Kirk and Uhuru. I didn't think anything of it at the time, after all, she was the only recurring female lead. Yet in some quarters, an onscreen kiss between a white man and a black woman was considered scandalous.

and the way they tweaked the censors was fun for a young lad. I recall reading years later that Roddenberry and friends deliberately tried to push boundaries by dressing alien women in the scantiest, sexiest costumes they could think of. As long as it was "alien" enough they got it through.
                There was a book published just after TOS was canceled called "The Making of Star Trek" by Alan Whitfield. It has/had all sorts of goodies and background info.

The dress (or lack thereof) in "Who Mourns for Adonis" was a work of art and engineering.
                CCT '77 & '78
                4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

It amuses me in retrospect to recall just how many people tried to learn how to raise only one eyebrow.....they would practice over and over....

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                    It amuses me in retrospect to recall just how many people tried to learn how to raise only one eyebrow.....they would practice over and over....
                    You can either do it or you can't.

OTOH you can learn to do the hand thing, which I know because everybody I've ever known has been able to learn how to do it except me.
                    Cornell University
                    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Wait, what?
                      Code:
                      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                      Originally posted by SanTropez
                      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                      Originally posted by Kepler
                      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                        Wait, what?
                        Yah
                        Is kep claiming he is master of his own domain
                        a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

The First Lady of Comedy (not sorry, Kep), made this show 50% possible. Leonard Nimoy was the other 50%.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                            The First Lady of Comedy (not sorry, Kep), made this show 50% possible. Leonard Nimoy was the other 50%.
                            Lucille Ball was great. "I Love Lucy" sucked.
                            Cornell University

Comment

May the Force be with you!

Comment

Working...
                              X