Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MichVandal
    replied
    Walking history is interesting to interpret sometimes. Just did a walking tour of Charleston SC, where many of the highlights are old mansions. Almost all of them built on the labor of slaves, not actual hard work. And to put that labor into perspective, they had a board about a big $20M (in 2022 dollars) of slaves. Which is just under $60k today per person. For their entire life. Just over 2 years of living on the poverty line for a person.

Makes me not appreciate the displayed wealth one bit. Makes me happy that so many lost their fortune losing the civil war.

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied
    These are beautiful.

Leave a comment:

• dxmnkd316
    replied
    Originally posted by Handyman View Post
    But in 1814 we took a little trip, along with Colonel Jackson down the mighty Mississip!
    You can absolutely read this to the Beverly Hillbillies theme song.

Leave a comment:

• burd
    replied
    Originally posted by Handyman View Post
    But in 1814 we took a little trip, along with Colonel Jackson down the mighty Mississip!
    Well we . . .
    Cast our votes and the Maggats kept a comin',
    But there wasn't quite as many as there was a while ago.
    We voted once more and the heap began a runnin'
    Across the Rio Grande to their new home in Mexico.
    Last edited by burd; 11-21-2023, 06:33 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Handyman
    replied

Leave a comment:

• burd
    replied
    He ought to have been scalped.

Leave a comment:

• FadeToBlack&Gold
    replied
    Originally posted by French Rage View Post
    Hell, Jackson might have suited up and started the whole thing without approval. He had a habit of doing that.
    He absolutely would have done just that. While saying something pithy and defiant about decision-making and enforcement. The 19th century equivalent of, "Oh yeah? Well hold my beer and watch THIS!"

Leave a comment:

• French Rage
    replied
    Hell, Jackson might have suited up and started the whole thing without approval. He had a habit of doing that.

Leave a comment:

• burd
    replied
    Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    TIL the Indian Removal Act of 1830 passed in the House 101 to 97. If two Members had switched their vote, the Trail of Tears would not have happened.
    Given the frequency and extent to which our incoherent federal policy affecting the indian tribes ping ponged around for more than a hundred years after Mcintosh v. Johnson was decided 6 years earlier, it probably would have happened eventually.

After expounding on the rights to be afforded to the conquered, Justice Marshall stated as follows:

But the tribes of Indians inhabiting this country were fierce savages whose occupation was war and whose subsistence was drawn chiefly from the forest. To leave them in possession of their country was to leave the country a wilderness; to govern them as a distinct people was impossible because they were as brave and high spirited as they were fierce, and were ready to repel by arms every attempt on their independence.

An inauspicious and paternalistic start (in the law) to the whole mess.
    Last edited by burd; 11-20-2023, 02:07 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Drew S.
    replied
    Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
    The real history of Columbus they don't want to teach in schools:
    Speaking of the Mayflower https://www.wsj.com/us-news/thanksgi...-feud-4108567a

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied
    TIL the Indian Removal Act of 1830 passed in the House 101 to 97. If two Members had switched their vote, the Trail of Tears would not have happened.

Leave a comment:

• Slap Shot
    replied
    The real history of Columbus they don't want to teach in schools:

On this very day in 1492, a British explorer by the name of Christopher Columbus sat sail in his beloved ship, the Mayflower, in search of a better life.

When he crossed the Pacific and landed at Plymouth Rock, what he discovered exceeded his wildest imagination - it was the United States of America, the land of opportunity and the oldest and greatest country on Earth.

Once he saw the stars and stripes, he never sat foot in England again.

Thank you, Lord Columbus, for literally discovering us.

Leave a comment:

• FadeToBlack&Gold
    replied
    Pre-Colombian Exchange, everyone in Europe assumed all nightshades were deadly.

Leave a comment:

• aparch
    replied
    Today I learned* that the Irish Potato Famine AND tomato based Italian pasta sauces are both thanks to their "discovery" in the new world (Americas) and introduction to Europe in the 15th or 16th century.

And I can thank Terrible Maps for that.
    https://www.threads.net/@terriblemap...c4MTIwNjQ2YQ==

*It was maybe mentioned in passing years ago, but I don't recall ever knowing that.

Leave a comment:

• solovsfett
    replied
    Friends! Been awhile since I rapped at ya!

for those interested in history (and you ARE or you wouldn’t be reading this!) check this out.

https://www.fourdiedtrying.com/sneak-peak

documentary series coming in November.

interesting context:
    Shabazz family is currently suing the CIA, FBI and others to the tune of $100,000,000.00 over the death of Malcolm

King family: United in their belief JER did not shoot Martin (see King v. Jowers court case)

JFK: well we mostly know it, but now 60 years later a secret service agent says “oh man, maybe I should tell people about the bullet I found in the back seat of the limo which discredits the magic bullet theory” see Paul Landis all over the news now

RFK: Harvard psychologist Dr. Dan Brown on his finding Sirhan’s “range mode”: https://youtu.be/lCU2MCxjAJ0?si=JEuXQZL_041WRx2s

Given the above this documentary should kick ***!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X