Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: History - questioning the winners and how we arrived at this point

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
    We all learned about Lincoln's assassination, but the whole story was really never told. I read "Manhunt" by James L Swanson. I see that historical moment in a whole new light. Highly recommend.
    Here's my biased thinking: It covers the entire Confederate conspiracy to assassinate Lincoln, the assassination itself, and the subsequent flight of Wilkes-Booth until his ultimate capture and death.

What am I missing? Elements from the North that felt his assassination was justified?

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
      Here's my biased thinking: It covers the entire Confederate conspiracy to assassinate Lincoln, the assassination itself, and the subsequent flight of Wilkes-Booth until his ultimate capture and death.

What am I missing? Elements from the North that felt his assassination was justified?
      In school, we just learned that Wilkes-Booth was mad at Lincoln for the war, he shot Lincoln in a theater, and that he was found and killed. No real backstory, no in-depth of what it all entailed. Like the Civil War, where I was taught it was pretty much about slavery, it actually is deeper than that. A lot more details in the reasons, a lot more detail in the aftermath (since the PRESIDENT was killed), and the nation wondering WTeFF just happened?

I guess I think a LOT of history is glossed over in the name of trying to teach everyone the highlights, instead of teaching everyone all the reasons why these important historical events happened. JFK shot: it was a crazy person. Nothing more. Well....at least give us some theories other than that. Iraq/Kuwait conflict: SADDAM! (Oh yeah, and oil/political interests).

History classes in the US are pretty much like ESPN highlight shows nowadays (and back when I was in HS some *cough* years ago). Yeah, we probably already know the basic facts. Give us some substance.
      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
        I bought this on Kindle because of your earlier review of it, but I have yet to read it. Gimme some more inspiration to get me into it.
        There are no sex scenes.

Remember, although a story about war and warriors, much like All Quiet on the Western Front, it is a very anti war novel.

It's also a story of leadership and how to motivate ordinary people to do extraordinary things.

Also, you'll see how to deal with extraordinarily stupid people.
        CCT '77 & '78
        4 kids
        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Sub
          Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

I finally caught onto Hardcore History after bbdl mentioned it to me (again) and I got a small taste of it this past weekend.

I’m blown away by this series. The Blueprint for Armageddon is jaw dropping.
            Code:
            As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
            College Hockey 6       College Football 0
            BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
            Originally posted by SanTropez
            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
            Originally posted by bigblue_dl
            I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
            Originally posted by Kepler
            When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
              I finally caught onto Hardcore History after bbdl mentioned it to me (again) and I got a small taste of it this past weekend.

I’m blown away by this series. The Blueprint for Armageddon is jaw dropping.
              The Roman Empire fell. The British Empire fell (and look how little area they've had at least an influence in, around the globe).

And if you want to get Biblical, there will be 3 World Wars. The third will end everything. Well, we've had two...with technology now...yeah, I'd say the third would be the last one we have.
              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Originally posted by The Rube View Post
                The Roman Empire fell. The British Empire fell (and look how little area they've had at least an influence in, around the globe).

And if you want to get Biblical, there will be 3 World Wars. The third will end everything. Well, we've had two...with technology now...yeah, I'd say the third would be the last one we have.
                What are you talking about?
                Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                  What are you talking about?
                  Right now you have the power nations. An extension of an empire. They will fall. It's a matter of when. History has shown it. The US is divided, Russia (in the Cold War era) eventually dropped a notch, although now it's back. You have Brexit (maybe)...

There will be a regime change. China could basically dictate everything the way the US is trying to do now...I dunno.

Comment

Right now you have the power nations. An extension of an empire. They will fall. It's a matter of when. History has shown it. The US is divided, Russia (in the Cold War era) eventually dropped a notch, although now it's back. You have Brexit (maybe)...

There will be a regime change. China could basically dictate everything the way the US is trying to do now...I dunno.
                    This has very little to do with the content of Blueprint for Armegeddon...an episode in the podcast Hardcore History...
                    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                      This has very little to do with the content of Blueprint for Armegeddon...an episode in the podcast Hardcore History...
                      Armegeddon has to do with the end of world, correct? This is simply my take on that stance.

Comment

Armegeddon has to do with the end of world, correct? This is simply my take on that stance.
                        It's the name of the episode about how we got to the point of being able to blow up the world.

Comment

Armegeddon is a B1G team winning the Natty.

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                            It's the name of the episode about how we got to the point of being able to blow up the world.
                            Blueprint for Armageddon is the name of the series about WWI...
                            Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                              Blueprint for Armageddon is the name of the series about WWI...
                              oops, I'm getting it confused with The Destroyer of Worlds.

Comment

JUst got done with Episode III.

It's hard not to listen to the story of the western front and not be moved to tears when hearing the true horrors of World War I. We all know the atrocities of WWII, but I didn't know just how horrifying the trench warfare and gas attacks of WWI were. I was listening in my car and when I got to the store I had to just sit there and contemplate what I had just heard. It's enough to make someone ill. When he described the spongy floors of the trenches due to the bodies that had been abandoned there, I was just numb.
                                Code:
                                As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                                College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                                BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                                Originally posted by SanTropez
                                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                                Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                                I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                                Originally posted by Kepler
                                When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Working...
                                X