Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kepler
    replied
    TIL the British promised emancipation to slaves who rose up against their rebel masters.

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied
    TIL the number of Americans who were legally held as slaves throughout all history was roughly equal to the present population of Michigan (10M).

Leave a comment:

• aparch
    replied
    I swear to God I learn a little more history each week thanks to TikTok.

https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZTRgRoE6a/

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied
    This is stupid and interesting.

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied
    This is absolutely the best retelling of Crossing the Rubicon I have ever seen.

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied
    Tuca & Berti had a great reference in their latest season in a elementary school history class. "We'll explain how the European birds discovered Bird America before the birds who actually lived there." Later, "the Bird Civil War was fought over the economy and Bird States' Rights."

Leave a comment:

• solovsfett
    replied
    Originally posted by joecct View Post

Curt is our Bomber Harris.
    Yep!!

Leave a comment:

• psych
    replied
    Originally posted by MichVandal View Post

Most of the reason the British moved into Boston (slowly at first, accelerated post tea party) was due to smuggling. John Hancock made huge amount of money smuggling stuff into the US. And he became a "hero" because he had the most significant signature on the declaration. And his actions was very mirrored by the Kennedy family- who made a ton of money smuggling alcohol into the US. And his kid became a US icon as President.

Next time the FF is in Boston, go and really seek out what happened. It's really, really interesting. The Boston Tea Party stop actually tells the real tale. And the tea is really good there.

Not to say that British were saints or a better way, but knowing that rich smugglers manipulated the minds of colonial citizens to start a revolution so that they can make a whole lot of money sure sounds like it's never stopped in the US.

(and yes, there was a more balanced movement to separate from England at the time, more about rights and freedom- which is why those words were in all of our documents- but we can't forget the impact greedy smugglers had on the psyche of the citizens. I don't know nearly all of the full details, but have learned some interesting things)
    I’ve read some of the real* history. I think I’d have been a Tory in the Revolutionary War. I generally don’t knowingly associate with religious zealous and smugglers.

Leave a comment:

• MichVandal
    replied
    Originally posted by aparch View Post
    https://www.tiktok.com/@counterpoint...60289464388910

The real Boston Tea Party protest is the perfect analogy of American politics, and we're fed a lie in school about it.
    Most of the reason the British moved into Boston (slowly at first, accelerated post tea party) was due to smuggling. John Hancock made huge amount of money smuggling stuff into the US. And he became a "hero" because he had the most significant signature on the declaration. And his actions was very mirrored by the Kennedy family- who made a ton of money smuggling alcohol into the US. And his kid became a US icon as President.

Next time the FF is in Boston, go and really seek out what happened. It's really, really interesting. The Boston Tea Party stop actually tells the real tale. And the tea is really good there.

Not to say that British were saints or a better way, but knowing that rich smugglers manipulated the minds of colonial citizens to start a revolution so that they can make a whole lot of money sure sounds like it's never stopped in the US.

(and yes, there was a more balanced movement to separate from England at the time, more about rights and freedom- which is why those words were in all of our documents- but we can't forget the impact greedy smugglers had on the psyche of the citizens. I don't know nearly all of the full details, but have learned some interesting things)

Leave a comment:

• aparch
    replied
    https://www.tiktok.com/@counterpoint...60289464388910

The real Boston Tea Party protest is the perfect analogy of American politics, and we're fed a lie in school about it.

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied
    This is such a brilliant series.

Leave a comment:

• joecct
    replied
    Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
    I’m reading “The Bomber Mafia” on a recommendation. It’s amazing how Curtis Emerson LeMay is idolized by so many…I’m attributing this to a general lack of knowledge about LeMay vs Kennedy (actually advocating we conduct a preemptive nuclear strike on USSR) and LeMay’s role in drafting Operation Northwoods.
    Curt is our Bomber Harris.

Leave a comment:

• joecct
    replied
    Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    Every ship (14,576) sunk in WW2 (blue = Allies).

Computer, filter out ships sunk by submarines.

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied
    Every ship (14,576) sunk in WW2 (blue = Allies).

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied
    Political cartoon re: sale of the Danish West Indies to the US, 1916. Uncle Sam is Woodrow Wilson.

Last edited by Kepler; 09-02-2022, 02:04 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X