The Alaska Problem: Why the NCAA is broken, and a fix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Alaska Problem: Why the NCAA is broken, and a fix

By now most of us have seen that hockey, and probably all of athletics, at UAA and UAF is headed for the gallows.

I say part, a significant part, of the problem is the NCAA's model of "divisions". The NCAA mandates 14 sports if you're DI (FCS) or 16 sports (FBS) or some other numbers for DII or DIII. Basically, the NCAA mandates "n" sports to be sponsored if you want to play at Division "M".

Instead, wouldn't it be wonderful if the NCAA allowed a school to just play what makes sense for it, and at the level that makes sense for it. I'm over a decade into calling for a "cafeteria plan" for NCAA sports. The Alaska situation has me bringing it up again.

I say the NCAA should define by sport, not by division, the levels and limits of play (a "cafeteria" plan).

For example (a hypothetical):
    - four tiers of football: 85 max, 65 max, 45 max, and 20 max scholarship
    - three tiers of basketball: 14 max, 9 max, 2 max scholarships
    - two tiers of hockey: 18 max, 3 max scholarships
    and so on. The levels (and maybe even spending caps, what a concept, per level!) could be worked out at the sport level by the sport experts.

Why do I say this? Say your school wants to play DI mens hockey and DII M/WBB and DIII W bowling and nothing else. So what. Who's that really hurt? Follow the rules for what you're playing and that's that.

Instead, we have a situation where all the programs at both Alaska schools may well disappear. How does that help student athletes? Worse? We have schools everywhere pouring monies that could go toward academics instead toward required athletic programs that do nothing more than continue to generate even more red ink.

I say the schools know what is sustainable in their markets. Let them play and support what works for them.

(And before you bring up Title IX, that's Federal law, not the NCAA. Each school would work that out internally ensuring equity.)
    The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Re: The Alaska Problem: Why the NCAA is broken, and a fix

Seems reasonable. Which means, of course, that it has virtually no chance of being considered let alone adopted by the NCAA.
    That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

The NCAAs rules are set to prevent free riders, if you didn't have to find everything at a D1 level, EVERY school would field a D1 level basketball team just to get the exposure and a cut of the money from the tournament.

Comment

Originally posted by Almington View Post
        The NCAAs rules are set to prevent free riders, if you didn't have to find everything at a D1 level, EVERY school would field a D1 level basketball team just to get the exposure and a cut of the money from the tournament.
        Again I say, so what? If it gets to be a real problem, you jack up the requirements for that sport.
        The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
          Again I say, so what? If it gets to be a real problem, you jack up the requirements for that sport.
          Jack them up how exactly?
          "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
          -Gallagher

R.I.P.
          Grandpa G. ~ Feb 11, 1918-Oct. 6, 1999
          Grandma ~ Jan 2004
          Dad ~ Nov. 4, 1958-April 21, 2008
          Grandpa S. ~ June 21, 1932-November 11, 2013

Comment

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
            By now most of us have seen that hockey, and probably all of athletics, at UAA and UAF is headed for the gallows.
            I leave for a week and whole programs collapse?

I agree with your central point. I thought they grandfathered existing programs at their level (c.f., Clarkson, SLU) to prevent this very problem? Is that going away? If so it is going to f-ck over about a third of D-1 hockey eventually.
            Cornell University
            National Champion 1967, 1970
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post

I agree with your central point. I thought they grandfathered existing programs at their level (c.f., Clarkson, SLU) to prevent this very problem? Is that going away? If so it is going to f-ck over about a third of D-1 hockey eventually.
              Alaska's problems seem to be confined to their budgetary constraints. I don't think there is much here that will effect NCAA athletics as a whole (unless they go the whole "Two Campus, One Program" route).
              It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

They're not officially closed programs yet. It's just the most likely outcome.
                "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Things have changed. 6 years ago the NCAA prohibited playups, grandfathering the existing programs. A D-II hockey program can continue to play in the big boy pool as there is no D-II hockey championship.
                  CCT '77 & '78
                  4 kids
                  5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                  1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                  - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Working...
                  X