Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Olympic Spoiler Thread - You've Been Warned.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• alfablue
    replied
    Re: Olympic Spoiler Thread - You've Been Warned.

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
    Sure, you stop comparing the athlete counts and start comparing team counts (or unit counts, if you want to avoid terminological confusion). In this case, an individual competitor would be a unit, and in the case of swimming or gymnastics the teams of four (last year of five-person teams for gymnastics) would also be a unit. If the team of four has different athletes for different events - as in three of the four swimmers in a medley are the same throughout all events while two different swimmers make up that fourth spot, you have two units counted.
    There is actually a good google doc that has all of that data- if the news ever wants to actually do an even analysis like that. It lists each country, each sport, and the number of athletes for that sport, as well as the numbers for each medal.

Where I see it getting a little more complicated- athletes who are competing in multiple events- that wasn't pointed out. For instance, we have 47 swimmers, but those 47 are competing for a possible +80 medals (as listed).

Anyway, it's more complicated than just number of medals vs. number of the entire team.

Leave a comment:

• St. Clown
    replied

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
    Thanks for the correction. But the point was there were a lot of players that collectively could get one medal. Fiji's one gold that took a lot of players should be equal to Puerto Rico's one gold from one player. So the numbers need to be normalized somehow.

It's different when you get 3 in a sport that all three can get a medal at the same time.
    Sure, you stop comparing the athlete counts and start comparing team counts (or unit counts, if you want to avoid terminological confusion). In this case, an individual competitor would be a unit, and in the case of swimming or gymnastics the teams of four (last year of five-person teams for gymnastics) would also be a unit. If the team of four has different athletes for different events - as in three of the four swimmers in a medley are the same throughout all events while two different swimmers make up that fourth spot, you have two units counted.

Leave a comment:

• Russell Jaslow
    replied

Thanks for the correction. But the point was there were a lot of players that collectively could get one medal. Fiji's one gold that took a lot of players should be equal to Puerto Rico's one gold from one player. So the numbers need to be normalized somehow.

It's different when you get 3 in a sport that all three can get a medal at the same time.
    Not to mention, some sports don't even allow you to have three in a sport. Swimming for instance, a rule that was passed for 1984 because many events were being swept by Americans. So, long before everyone gets a trophy culture, the swimming federation passed the "everyone gets a trophy" rule... It always blew my mind that the third best person in an event could be sitting at home while the fourth best person in said event wins the bronze medal.

This is all why the entire medals count is the most useless "scoreboard" in the history of sports.

Leave a comment:

• alfablue
    replied

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
    The US did not have men's field hockey or women's or men's handball.

Leave a comment:

• PrezdeJohnson09
    replied
    The medal per team size needs to be adjusted for the events that have a team. For the 22 members of a soccer team, there's only one medal available.

The US only had one team event that was not represented- men's soccer. All other teams were there- really- to capture 2 BB medals, 24 members; 24 for 2 Ruby 7, 41 for 10 rowing, 18 for one football, 16 for one field hockey, etc. Just the big field events- the US had 82 athletes all who can only get 6 medals among them all.

Then there needs adjustments for the team + individual sports- there's a team gymnastics- so one medal per 6 (or so), as well as overall, and THEN per event. Or the various relay medals.
    The US did not have men's field hockey or women's or men's handball.

Leave a comment:

• walrus
    replied

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    Well, Yuma is hell and Phoenix is a 600-square mile strip mall, so I get that. Tucson north of Speedway is San Miguel de Allende-level beautiful. Tucson south of Speedway is Naucalpan de Juárez-level ugly.

We're going to buy in Prescott, which is quiet and pretty.
    Prescott looks nice but as far as heat goes Tucson wasn't any better than Yuma when he was there. he couldn't fly during the day as the plane would over heat sitting on the tarmac during the engine run up I'd take that over January though

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied

Originally posted by walrus View Post
    My boy is in Arizona, he doesn't say good things so far. He has been in Tucson, Yuma, and in a week He'll be in Phoenix.
    Well, Yuma is hell and Phoenix is a 600-square mile strip mall, so I get that. Tucson north of Speedway is San Miguel de Allende-level beautiful. Tucson south of Speedway is Naucalpan de Juárez-level ugly.

We're going to buy in Prescott, which is quiet and pretty.
    Last edited by Kepler; 08-22-2016, 10:34 PM.

Leave a comment:

• walrus
    replied

Originally posted by theprofromdover View Post
    i know,your,son and i'd stop him on principle!��
    You and the border patrol think alike

Leave a comment:

• Slap Shot
    replied

Kep I think you'd be surprised at the funding US Olympic athletes receive relative to many in Europe and Asia depending on the sport - at least from their governing bodies. I

Leave a comment:

• theprofromdover
    replied
    Originally posted by walrus View Post
    My boy is in Arizona, he doesn't say good things so far. He has been in Tucson, Yuma, and in a week He'll be in Phoenix. Being 21 and going into the Goldwater bombing range every night after dark to set up equipment for their Lidar run seems to attract attention from the border patrol They get stopped every night
    I know,your,son and I'd stop him on principle!😀

Leave a comment:

• walrus
    replied

Dr. Mrs. says we should learn Spanish before we move to AZ but I dunno... it is very heaven not to listen to the chit chat around you.
    My boy is in Arizona, he doesn't say good things so far. He has been in Tucson, Yuma, and in a week He'll be in Phoenix. Being 21 and going into the Goldwater bombing range every night after dark to set up equipment for their Lidar run seems to attract attention from the border patrol They get stopped every night

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied

It's even better if you can stream it without commentary. We watched the closing ceremony live, no interruptions, and no BS via the NBC sports app. NBC showed it an hour late with commercials. If one is willing to pay for it, not having to deal with NBC over the air is a major blessing. And realistically, having access to CBC helps, too- they show more stuff live- but one does have to deal with VERY Canadian centric coverage. Complain about NBC all you want- other nations are worse.
    The one time I watched the Olympics in Europe it was great. For all I know they were saying the same jingoist idiocies as the American media, but I don't speak a word of German except "Klink" and "Jude!" and neither came up.

Dr. Mrs. says we should learn Spanish before we move to AZ but I dunno... it is very heaven not to listen to the chit chat around you.

Leave a comment:

• alfablue
    replied

I'd like to see dollars spent per medal. I strongly suspect the USA would rank behind only those who divide zero.

The Games were great; the coverage was worse than usual but that's why God made FF. This time around NBC did seem to actually get a few people who knew the events rather than just ramming all the talking hairdos down our throats.

The Olympic Rules held:

1. FF through all studio sequences.
    2. FF through all backstories.
    3. Watch all events involving a US participant with the sound off.
    It's even better if you can stream it without commentary. We watched the closing ceremony live, no interruptions, and no BS via the NBC sports app. NBC showed it an hour late with commercials. If one is willing to pay for it, not having to deal with NBC over the air is a major blessing. And realistically, having access to CBC helps, too- they show more stuff live- but one does have to deal with VERY Canadian centric coverage. Complain about NBC all you want- other nations are worse.

Leave a comment:

• alfablue
    replied

Another consideration is how many medalists trained using some other country's GDP?

For instance, Mo Farah and Nick Willis' medals should be US- since both live and train here. Or are there medals where the bulk of recent training took place via the NCAA? Lots of NCAA champs do track and swimming for other countries. Or what professional body pay them? Monica Puig's medal for Puerto Rico is funded via professional tennis.

It's a lot deeper that just assigning a medal to their stated country.

Leave a comment:

• alfablue
    replied

The medal per team size needs to be adjusted for the events that have a team. For the 22 members of a soccer team, there's only one medal available.

The US only had one team event that was not represented- men's soccer. All other teams were there- really- to capture 2 BB medals, 24 members; 24 for 2 Ruby 7, 41 for 10 rowing, 18 for one football, 16 for one field hockey, etc. Just the big field events- the US had 82 athletes all who can only get 6 medals among them all.

Then there needs adjustments for the team + individual sports- there's a team gymnastics- so one medal per 6 (or so), as well as overall, and THEN per event. Or the various relay medals.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X