Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Olympic Spoiler Thread - You've Been Warned.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Olympic Spoiler Thread - You've Been Warned.

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
    Durant is red hot. You'd be losing a lot of money...
    Yeah, I figured they might not show up but good for them to pound the serbians for Coach K
    I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
      USA has mountain biking right now.

The course looks to be built on a dump or they did a slash and burn to this hill. Parts of the course are so bad bikers are running their bikes up the hill because they can't get the traction to ride.
      That is more a equipment issue than course problems. It was just two small uphill sections where there was still a ton of moisture in the dirt. They needed a full mud tire for that 50 yards of course, but it would have been a horrible choice for the other 7 miles of the track. It happens.
      It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

So it's over...

I have to say, for whatever reason, we really liked this Olympics. Perhaps it was the time zone showing stuff live, perhaps it was the new cable that gave us access to a lot of stuff to see, or perhaps it was the Latin twist to all of it.

Great job, Rio! Moreso with all of the predictions of failure.

Onto Tokyo. And then perhaps LA.

Comment

TFW the prime minister of Japan appears at the closing ceremony of the Olympics dressed as your mascot.
          Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

I wonder which countries did well in the "medal per capita" count?

ah, isn't the internet a wonderful thing?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/olympics/...hen-we-adjust/

Grenada
            Bahamas
            Jamaica
            New Zealand
            Denmark
            Croatia
            Slovenia
            Georgia
            Azerbaijan
            Hungary
            "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

I'd like to see dollars spent per medal. I strongly suspect the USA would rank behind only those who divide zero.

The Games were great; the coverage was worse than usual but that's why God made FF. This time around NBC did seem to actually get a few people who knew the events rather than just ramming all the talking hairdos down our throats.

The Olympic Rules held:

1. FF through all studio sequences.
              2. FF through all backstories.
              3. Watch all events involving a US participant with the sound off.
              Last edited by Kepler; 08-22-2016, 01:01 PM.
              Cornell University
              National Champion 1967, 1970
              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                I'd like to see dollars spent per medal. I strongly suspect the USA would rank behind only those who divide zero.
                That would depend largely upon what we gauge as the source of the funding. Most US Olympic athletes are privately funded. For those who are not able to have professional careers in their sports, most work full-time jobs and basically train for their sport on the side. The gymnasts and swimmers tend to get funding from their national orgs, but I don't think (not certain) they receive federal funds.
                "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

The medal per team size needs to be adjusted for the events that have a team. For the 22 members of a soccer team, there's only one medal available.

The US only had one team event that was not represented- men's soccer. All other teams were there- really- to capture 2 BB medals, 24 members; 24 for 2 Ruby 7, 41 for 10 rowing, 18 for one football, 16 for one field hockey, etc. Just the big field events- the US had 82 athletes all who can only get 6 medals among them all.

Then there needs adjustments for the team + individual sports- there's a team gymnastics- so one medal per 6 (or so), as well as overall, and THEN per event. Or the various relay medals.

Comment

Another consideration is how many medalists trained using some other country's GDP?

For instance, Mo Farah and Nick Willis' medals should be US- since both live and train here. Or are there medals where the bulk of recent training took place via the NCAA? Lots of NCAA champs do track and swimming for other countries. Or what professional body pay them? Monica Puig's medal for Puerto Rico is funded via professional tennis.

It's a lot deeper that just assigning a medal to their stated country.

Comment

The Games were great; the coverage was worse than usual but that's why God made FF. This time around NBC did seem to actually get a few people who knew the events rather than just ramming all the talking hairdos down our throats.

The Olympic Rules held:

1. FF through all studio sequences.
                      2. FF through all backstories.
                      3. Watch all events involving a US participant with the sound off.
                      It's even better if you can stream it without commentary. We watched the closing ceremony live, no interruptions, and no BS via the NBC sports app. NBC showed it an hour late with commercials. If one is willing to pay for it, not having to deal with NBC over the air is a major blessing. And realistically, having access to CBC helps, too- they show more stuff live- but one does have to deal with VERY Canadian centric coverage. Complain about NBC all you want- other nations are worse.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                        It's even better if you can stream it without commentary. We watched the closing ceremony live, no interruptions, and no BS via the NBC sports app. NBC showed it an hour late with commercials. If one is willing to pay for it, not having to deal with NBC over the air is a major blessing. And realistically, having access to CBC helps, too- they show more stuff live- but one does have to deal with VERY Canadian centric coverage. Complain about NBC all you want- other nations are worse.
                        The one time I watched the Olympics in Europe it was great. For all I know they were saying the same jingoist idiocies as the American media, but I don't speak a word of German except "Klink" and "Jude!" and neither came up.

Dr. Mrs. says we should learn Spanish before we move to AZ but I dunno... it is very heaven not to listen to the chit chat around you.
                        Cornell University
                        National Champion 1967, 1970
                        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Dr. Mrs. says we should learn Spanish before we move to AZ but I dunno... it is very heaven not to listen to the chit chat around you.
                          My boy is in Arizona, he doesn't say good things so far. He has been in Tucson, Yuma, and in a week He'll be in Phoenix. Being 21 and going into the Goldwater bombing range every night after dark to set up equipment for their Lidar run seems to attract attention from the border patrol They get stopped every night

Comment

• Originally posted by walrus View Post
                            My boy is in Arizona, he doesn't say good things so far. He has been in Tucson, Yuma, and in a week He'll be in Phoenix. Being 21 and going into the Goldwater bombing range every night after dark to set up equipment for their Lidar run seems to attract attention from the border patrol They get stopped every night
                            I know,your,son and I'd stop him on principle!😀
                            Originally posted by mookie1995
                            bc is superior to bu in nearly everything. while it is sad that it has come to it, it's the truth. if bu doesn't like it, improve.
                            Rep from Hokydad -"and your an old never been piece of ****"

Originally Posted by Dirty
                            Why is anyone surprised that Old Pio is acting like a grumpy old f^ck? He is a grumpy old f^ck.

Comment

Kep I think you'd be surprised at the funding US Olympic athletes receive relative to many in Europe and Asia depending on the sport - at least from their governing bodies. I

Comment

Originally posted by theprofromdover View Post
                                i know,your,son and i'd stop him on principle!��
                                You and the border patrol think alike

Comment

Working...
                                X