Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Olympic Spoiler Thread - You've Been Warned.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Olympic Spoiler Thread - You've Been Warned.

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
    I don't think it would have. There were times I thought "there's the point" and then boom, NOPE. ALL THE NOPES. Brasil was insane tonight.
    They were all over the court, like there was 3 or 4 of them.
    bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

Originally posted by GrinCDXX View Post
      Not sure about the second set, but the US wins that first set comfortably without all the errors from KWJ.
      I saw the last 4-5 points in the first set, all the second set. The score was not indicative of the play. US played well, but Brasil was on another planet.
      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
        I saw the last 4-5 points in the first set, all the second set. The score was not indicative of the play. US played well, but Brasil was on another planet.
        Ross played well.

Comment

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
          US Women's Basketball outscores Japan 54-18 in the second half to win 110-64. Game was within two at one point in the second half.
          Not only does the USA have the best players, they also have the best coaching staff. They are masters at making half-time adjustments. The two plays Japan had run successfully in the first half were totally shut down in the second half.
          "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by GrinCDXX View Post
            Ross played well.
            And her partner played like crap.
            **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
            Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by jericho View Post
              I do wonder sometimes how many athletes that win gold actually know the National Anthem of the country they represent.

Then there is the opposite side of that -- If the entire Russian team was banned, some of their athletes could have competed under the Olympic flag with a special appeal. However, the one Russian female gymnast who was allowed to compete said she would never have competed under the Olympic flag. She said she either was going to compete under the Russian flag or not at all. You have to respect that.
              Russell Jaslow
              [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
              U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

I saw a clip on Facebook where Usain Bolt was being interviewed and stopped the interview because the US anthem was being played. that's pretty cool of him.

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                  I saw a clip on Facebook where Usain Bolt was being interviewed and stopped the interview because the US anthem was being played. that's pretty cool of him.
                  They reported that the other day when I was watching. He stops for that ceremony no matter who won and no matter what national anthem is playing. Very cool.
                  **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                  Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by CLS View Post
                    Anyone know the back story behind the Kenyan running woman running for Bahrain? Did Bahrain buy a medal?
                    And here's your answer. These countries are indeed buying medals.

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/201...-medal-n632566

http://deadspin.com/if-youre-a-small...pic-1785302021
                    Russell Jaslow
                    [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                    U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
                      Thanks, and to be honest, it doesn't bother me a lot … yet.

First, I can't be too critical of athletes, from say, Kenya, going to a place in which their training facilities are better, or their sport becomes their full-time job and they have a cushier life than they might have had in Kenya. And there are many shades of gray (at least 50) in this practice – for example, there is an African distance runner (name escapes me) who runs/ran as a US athlete. I believe that there are also foreign-born athletes who have gotten college scholarships and have remained in the US afterward and competed for the US.

Second, it's pretty obvious what they're doing, and nobody's fooled, even if they change their name to sound more like the country they run for. Doesn't mean I like it, and I'll cheer very hard for the “real Kenyan” against the “fake Bahraini” every time.

For individual events, the emphasis is on the individual anyway. Yeah, I know that Usain Bolt is from Jamaica, and I root for Americans, but I still think of them by their names, and secondarily where they're from.

Where I will draw the line will be when we start seeing medals won in team sports by the Bahrains of the world. There, the medal is awarded to a country, and the names of the individuals is pretty much unknown, except for some sports like basketball. Seems almost inevitable to me that this will start to happen. If Qatar highjacked an entire major event – the World Cup, surely they can assemble a field hockey team or handball team.

Comment

This actually happened to American snowboarder Vic Wild in Sochi. He won Gold for Russia in Parallel Giant Slalom. It was just a case where Russia offered him some cash, but the key selling point was R&D and Training capabilities. USSA pays less than a penny for alpine snowboard racing in this country. Russia offered stuff on par with the top European programs. It was a no-brainer for him to make the jump.
                        It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
                          The last Summer Olympics, there was a huge controversy over an American woman basketball player, with absolutely no ties to Russia (except like one grandparent who had some sort of Russian ancestry) who was playing professionally in a Russian club league, got cut from the American national team, and then Russia offered her "citizenship" if she wanted to play for Russia. She took the offer. She got lambasted by other American players who knew her from their college playing days.

Ironically, she is now an assistant coach for the San Antonio Spurs.....
                          "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Can't say I have a problem going where the sponsorship is and that is what I think of it as. When we were kids the USSR sponsored athletes whose FT job was training and they pretended to have a real job. This isn't anything new, just in the open. Most of these people have a short span (like any pro athlete) before their product becomes obsolete. I don't begrudge them one bit.

And in other news JAGER!!!!!!! comes in 2nd in the Steeple. Monster run by him! Riveting to watch. Took the lead, lost it into the last lap but didn't lose the wheels on the bus and still beat the 3rd place Kenyan decisively. I was beside myself yelling on the last lap. Usually that is when the Kenyans casually blow on by. Well, this time one did but he destroyed the other one! w00000000t!!

Comment

Italy's really blowing up Iran in Volleyball.
                              Uncle Mickey: July 23, 1950-July 22, 2003

WRPI, 91.5 FM...usually color commentary.

Comment

I don't mind someone "buying" a medal as it's a misnomer anyway. Yeah their adopted country throws $$ one way or another (endorsements, training facilities, etc) at the athlete, but if they're good enough to medal period they were likely good enough for the team of their home country.

Comment

Working...
                                X