Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Olympic Spoiler Thread - You've Been Warned.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Olympic Spoiler Thread - You've Been Warned.

Originally posted by RENCEB View Post
    Abbey is my cousin's daughter. She showed tremendous class and courage by how she handled what happened, and to those that know her it wasn't a surprise. A very special young woman.
    A couple of writeups:

http://www.boston.com/sports/olympic...-sportsmanship

http://www.espn.com/olympics/trackan...ind-women-5000

Comment

Gymnastics are done. Bummer. My favorite event. IMHO doing all around is one of the most well rounded exhibitions of making your body do what it can. All muscle groups, requires incredible, minute control of your body and strength. Love the T & F but that requires specialized training for a few events. Maybe Decath comes close but not really (and I am a track junkie)

Comment

Larissa and Talita beaten by Germany. If April and Kerri win...Brazil will battle each other for bronze.
        "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
        -Gallagher

R.I.P.
        Grandpa G. ~ Feb 11, 1918-Oct. 6, 1999
        Grandma ~ Jan 2004
        Dad ~ Nov. 4, 1958-April 21, 2008
        Grandpa S. ~ June 21, 1932-November 11, 2013

Comment

Sweden plays defense in depth again and beats Brazil in the football SF 0-0 (4-3) on penalties.

Looks like Canada will fall to Germany in the other semi final.
          CCT '77 & '78
          4 kids
          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
            It would be interesting to see statistics of countries who win their first medals, and first gold medals ever.

We noted Fiji getting both at the same time earlier this week, Puerto Rico got their first gold ever yesterday in tennis.

I guess when your country is one of the major over-dogs, you keep an eye on the underdog countries and it's nice to see them do well.
            swimming gold for Indonesia and for Kazakhstan. the latter has medaled in weightlifting and wrestling, I think but swimming?
            "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
              There were years when a bunch of French Canadians played for the French ice hockey team in the Olympics. (And the one year that Great Britain actually won the hockey gold medal -- seriously, look it up -- the team in reality consisted of all Canadians.)

Last Winter Olympics, a Jewish American pairs figure skaters who never spent a day in Israel, represented Israel in the Olympics. This happens often with Jews around the world because of Israel's "birthright" citizenship laws.

The last Summer Olympics, there was a huge controversy over an American woman basketball player, with absolutely no ties to Russia (except like one grandparent who had some sort of Russian ancestry) who was playing professionally in a Russian club league, got cut from the American national team, and then Russia offered her "citizenship" if she wanted to play for Russia. She took the offer. She got lambasted by other American players who knew her from their college playing days.
              I do wonder sometimes how many athletes that win gold actually know the National Anthem of the country they represent.
              Uncle Mickey: July 23, 1950-July 22, 2003

WRPI, 91.5 FM...usually color commentary.

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyplayer1015 View Post
                Another pretty routine night for Walsh-Jennings/Ross in the sand.

Can't help but shake my head at the level KWJ plays at 38. Pretty incredible.
                I saw KW-J and Ross playing in a tournament last summer, after KW-J had had surgery on her right shoulder. She was serving underhand, and using her left hand to spike, only using her right arm for blocking, passing or bump-setting. They still won.
                "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

• Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                  I saw KW-J and Ross playing in a tournament last summer, after KW-J had had surgery on her right shoulder. She was serving underhand, and using her left hand to spike, only using her right arm for blocking, passing or bump-setting. They still won.
                  They've spoken about that stretch of her season quite a bit during games the past week or whatever we're up to now. Had to get 12 tournaments I believe, so she/they didn't have much choice without giving up Rio.

Comment

US Women's Basketball outscores Japan 54-18 in the second half to win 110-64. Game was within two at one point in the second half.
                    Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

KWJ is apparently human after all. Too many errors so far.

Comment

Brasil is on another friggin' level. See the last volley. Holy sh*.
                        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                        Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

• Originally posted by hockeyplayer1015 View Post
                          She played like crap the whole match.
                          **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                          Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

• Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                            She played like crap the whole match.
                            Brasil also played lights out, but ya, not her best match by far. Not completely sure it would have made a difference.

Comment

Brasil also played lights out, but ya, not her best match by far. Not completely sure it would have made a difference.
                              I don't think it would have. There were times I thought "there's the point" and then boom, NOPE. ALL THE NOPES. Brasil was insane tonight.
                              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                              Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                                I don't think it would have. There were times I thought "there's the point" and then boom, NOPE. ALL THE NOPES. Brasil was insane tonight.
                                Not sure about the second set, but the US wins that first set without all the errors from KWJ. The Brazilians were on a different level there at the end though.
                                Last edited by GrinCDXX; 08-16-2016, 11:31 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X