Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Olympic Spoiler Thread - You've Been Warned.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Olympic Spoiler Thread - You've Been Warned.

Was watching Phelps' last race at my brother's house. He has DirecTV. Crazy rainstorm with much thunder and lightning just started and his dish lost the signal and missed the last three legs. It cut out right as the second guy hit the water. SMH.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
      You didn't stop whining about it this morning, nor did you post that it was shown. Weak. very weak.
      I have better things to do on a saturday than watch the Olympics. Sue me.
      Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Swimming domination:

The United States won 16 gold medals. The rest of the world combined for 17. Second place Australia had 10 total medals (the US had 33).

The men and women each won 8 gold.

The penultimate event in the pool was the women's 4x100m relay. When Simone Manuel touched the wall it was the 1000th gold medal won by the US in Summer Olympics history.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
          On replays, it looked like he tripped himself up. And still won. Amazing finish to that race.
          But if not, it was one of his best friends and training partner who did it- and Rupp held up, turned back and made sure he was ok. It was interesting to hear the commentary that they train to fall and get back up again. Sort of like hockey training where we do that, repeatedly. Farah was very, very well prepared for that race.

Comment

It would be interesting to see statistics of countries who win their first medals, and first gold medals ever.

We noted Fiji getting both at the same time earlier this week, Puerto Rico got their first gold ever yesterday in tennis.

I guess when your country is one of the major over-dogs, you keep an eye on the underdog countries and it's nice to see them do well.

Comment

Anyone know the back story behind the Kenyan running woman running for Bahrain? Did Bahrain buy a medal?
              Last edited by CLS; 08-14-2016, 09:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by CLS View Post
                Anyone know the back story behind the Kenyan running woman running for Bahrain? Did Bahrain buy a medal?
                Bahrain showed up a lot yesterday in the sprints and steeplechase.

For USA Women's Basketball, not sure why the play isn't just to get it into Griner every time. She can do a drop step or just dish it off when they come to double team.
                Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Golf should be somewhat interesting. It's basically a head to head between Stenson and Rose for the gold as the play the last 6-7 holes. Still wish there was a team element in play here. It'd give more options other than just following the lead groups.
                  It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Just wasted 2 hours watching the USA coverage that was advertised for Greco-Roman quals and the 50m Men's 3 position shooting final.

Instead, Spain/Argentina Field hockey match gets shown and a 15 second snippet to end the time slot mentioning the shooting result. American Matt Emmons didn't qualify for the final, but regardless... Don't list the event if it won't be shown.

Comment

Synchro swimming is bizarre. Lots of seemingly disembodied legs sticking out of the water. As a barely drown proof swimmer, I appreciate the difficulty, but it still looks really strange.

Comment

Originally posted by CLS View Post
                        Synchro swimming is bizarre. Lots of seemingly disembodied legs sticking out of the water. As a barely drown proof swimmer, I appreciate the difficulty, but it still looks really strange.
                        Was the water blue at least

Comment

• Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
                          Golf should be somewhat interesting. It's basically a head to head between Stenson and Rose for the gold as the play the last 6-7 holes. Still wish there was a team element in play here. It'd give more options other than just following the lead groups.
                          If I was God of Golf...
                          3 person teams for the top 12 countries. Fill the rest of the field with the remaining best golfers not from those 12 countries to get to a 75 person field.

Play 72 holes to get to individual G/S/B medals. The next day the top 8 teams play QF / SF match play and the finals and 3rd place the next day for the medals. 6 days of golf.
                          CCT '77 & '78
                          4 kids
                          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyplayer1015 View Post
                            Just wasted 2 hours watching the USA coverage that was advertised for Greco-Roman quals and the 50m Men's 3 position shooting final.

Instead, Spain/Argentina Field hockey match gets shown and a 15 second snippet to end the time slot mentioning the shooting result. American Matt Emmons didn't qualify for the final, but regardless... Don't list the event if it won't be shown.
                            Not to sell NBC too much, but we just happened to upgrade our service, and now can watch any sport streaming. Which I saw the 50m shooting was listed.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                              If I was God of Golf...
                              3 person teams for the top 12 countries. Fill the rest of the field with the remaining best golfers not from those 12 countries to get to a 75 person field.

Play 72 holes to get to individual G/S/B medals. The next day the top 8 teams play QF / SF match play and the finals and 3rd place the next day for the medals. 6 days of golf.
                              That's similar to the format that I'd have, but I'd open it up to 30 or so teams. 4 players/team. Rounds 1&2 tee off like a normal event. Team scoring counts the low 3 scores for a country. Individual scores are straight up. After two rounds, you cut to low 50-60 individuals. There is also a "team" cut. Low 10-12 teams keep playing rounds 3&4. Teams still play 4 individuals, so you can have players out there that didn't make the individual cut. It's a similar format to what the NCAA uses for their titles. It allows a "lone wolf" from a random country to compete for an individual medal, yet the US, Britain, Japan, ect. Can compete for team Gold.

Comment

Stenson and Rose walk to the par 5 18th tied for the lead.

Kuchar fired an 8 under 63, sits 2 shots back in 3rd.

Comment

Working...
                                X