Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Olympic Spoiler Thread - You've Been Warned.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Olympic Spoiler Thread - You've Been Warned.

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
    I want to put a stop to this talk right now. The USWNT is the best womens team in the world but the talent and ability gap between the men's game and women's game is miles apart. The USWNT struggles in scrimmages against the U17 boys team, to the point that the U17 coaches tell them to back off. Hope Solo would get eaten alive in a USL game let alone in Europe.
    GK is vastly different than field players. It is much more about read and technique. She couldn't patrol her area, extend or get off her line to the degree necessary to compete at a very high level on the men's side, but her mental aspect and technique are right there...when she is dialed in. She does have a penchant for taking games off when she feels like they don't matter (see the Colombia game this Olympics).

She could earn a paycheck.

Comment

This seems impossible.

tl; dr: World record set in 1993. Since then nobody has come within 22 seconds of it. Everybody assumes it was set on drugs. And now, today, somebody breaks it by 14 seconds.

How is this anything but the best ad possible for some new drugs?
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Stauber1 View Post
        GK is vastly different than field players. It is much more about read and technique. She couldn't patrol her area, extend or get off her line to the degree necessary to compete at a very high level on the men's side, but her mental aspect and technique are right there...when she is dialed in. She does have a penchant for taking games off when she feels like they don't matter (see the Colombia game this Olympics).

She could earn a paycheck.
        I'm well aware that GK is different but I'm sorry it ain't happening. Solo would get eaten alive on any set piece situation in the men's game.
        U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
        Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
        I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
        But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
        Originally posted by Doyle Woody
        Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
          I'm well aware that GK is different but I'm sorry it ain't happening. Solo would get eaten alive on any set piece situation in the men's game.
          I don't really want to get into an argument on this point, as it is somewhat trivial to the point I was originally making.
          So I'll just say consider there are a lot of countries in Europe that pay players in multiple divisions. Not every country has the depth in leagues as Germany or Spain.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
            This seems impossible.

tl; dr: World record set in 1993. Since then nobody has come within 22 seconds of it. Everybody assumes it was set on drugs. And now, today, somebody breaks it by 14 seconds.

How is this anything but the best ad possible for some new drugs?
            Better living through chemistry!!

Edit: Maybe not. An American broke the US record by 10 seconds. It may be a fast track.
            Last edited by joecct; 08-12-2016, 07:21 PM.
            CCT '77 & '78
            4 kids
            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
              Better living through chemistry!!

Edit: Maybe not. An American broke the US record by 10 seconds. It may be a fast track.
              I think I heard that 14 national records were broken. Maybe it's 10k yards not meters.
              Cornell University
              National Champion 1967, 1970
              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

No mention of Kim Rhodes? Medals in 6 straight olympics and not even a mention?
                Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

• Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                  Skeet shooter, right? Not PC. She can't even get corporate sponsorship outside of the firearms industry.
                  CCT '77 & '78
                  4 kids
                  5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                  1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                  - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Canada moves to semifinal with a 1-0 win over France.
                    Growing old is mandatory -- growing up is optional!

Comment

Phelps in a 3 way tie for silver in 100m Butterfly

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                        Skeet shooter, right? Not PC. She can't even get corporate sponsorship outside of the firearms industry.
                        Yeah, they won't even mention her on the normal broadcast. Its shameful for NBC.
                        Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Ledecky WR 800m free by over a body length, and beats the field by nearly half the pool. Just utter domination.

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyplayer1015 View Post
                            Ledecky WR 800m free by over a body length, and beats the field by nearly half the pool. Just utter domination.
                            It's like Secretariat turned into a human and swam.
                            Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

While waiting for the other swimmers to finish, Katie Ledecky took some selfies, Skyped a friend back home and finished her summer reading.

Comment

• Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                                First person to medal on five continents.
                                Antarctica 2024!

Does skeet shooting get a lot of attention usually?

Comment

Working...
                                X