Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Olympic Spoiler Thread - You've Been Warned.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Olympic Spoiler Thread - You've Been Warned.

Sweden is coached by Pia Sundhage, who coached the U.S. team for five years and led the squad to gold medals in both Beijing and London.
    A bad cause requires many words.

Comment

Pia with the mic drop:
      "I don't give a crap. I'm going to Rio and she's going home."

Comment

• Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
        And "losing in penalties" means what, one team threw better right hooks than the other?
        Think shootout.

Comment

After careful consideration, the Committee on Poor Sportsmanship is pleased to award Hope Solo with the Brendan Morrison participation ribbon.

Comment

• Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
            And "losing in penalties" means what, one team threw better right hooks than the other?
            I thought I knew nothing about soccer and I don't really.
            I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Do they not have any other decent goalies? She's been a tool for years and this is just more.
              "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                I thought I knew nothing about soccer and I don't really.
                I've watched perhaps a combined 45 minutes of soccer in all my life. I've tried a few times, but the sport just does nothing for me. So when people start using the slang, I'm lost. It's like using hockey talk to other players. How many people outside of the sport will understand half of what's being said?
                "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

• Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
                  US Soccer wants that victory tour because it's a cash cow. I'm sure the players don't mind it, but point your disapproval in the right place.
                  The players want it because they get a portion of the ticket sales for each game. Let's not even begin on the guaranteed spots for players...
                  U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                  Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                  I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                  But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                  Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                  Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

• Originally posted by bronconick View Post
                    Do they not have any other decent goalies? She's been a tool for years and this is just more.
                    Oh there are but they're not Alpha Nike "material".
                    I spell Failure with UAF

But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                    Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                      I've watched perhaps a combined 45 minutes of soccer in all my life. I've tried a few times, but the sport just does nothing for me. So when people start using the slang, I'm lost. It's like using hockey talk to other players. How many people outside of the sport will understand half of what's being said?
                      I watch Womens World cup and Womens Olympic soccer, nothing else. And only when the US is playing. I know very little about soccer but enough to enjoy watching them play. I might watch US men play if I know they are on but won't go out of my way to watch like I might for the women..

For those in the know was Rapinoe hurt? She looked nothing like her world cup self. That girl thats in High school or just graduated?? She is good. Liked her energy. Alex Morgan had chances so did lloyd, US dominated but didn't finish, seen that in Hockey many times.

And Solo needs to shut her yap, she was a mere mortal in all the games I watched, nothing special at all. One good save in penalty kicks and one where she batted it away.
                      Last edited by walrus; 08-12-2016, 04:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyplayer1015 View Post
                        Not sure if it's completely valid, but seeing a Hope quote after the game stating "We lost to a bunch of cowards, the better team didn't win."

Yikes.
                        I'm having Brendan Morrison flashbacks ...
                        " ... best team doesn't win ... "
                        http://www.uscho.com/1997/03/28/bren...-award-winner/
                        The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

I can definitely understand the complaints about Solo's sports(wo)manship, but asking "don't they have some other decent keepers?" isn't a very good question. Hope Solo is the best female GK in the world (hell, she could probably earn a paycheck with some 3rd-4th division men's sides in Europe).
                          I wasn't able to watch this match (and unfortunately I can't find a way to watch highlights while traveling through Serbia), but she has proven over and over her value on the pitch. She wasn't very good against Colombia, but that was a throw away game where the U.S. played their B to B+ squad.
                          Even earlier this tournament, Hope Solo was pretty much the reason why the U.S. got passed France.

If you want to watch what should be a great match, France v Canada is coming up in about 10 minutes. That will be a great clash between 2 teams that play their respective styles very well - a finesse/technique vs. smash-mouth bout that I think will be very entertaining.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stauber1 View Post
                            I can definitely understand the complaints about Solo's sports(wo)manship, but asking "don't they have some other decent keepers?" isn't a very good question. Hope Solo is the best female GK in the world (hell, she could probably earn a paycheck with some 3rd-4th division men's sides in Europe).
                            I want to put a stop to this talk right now. The USWNT is the best womens team in the world but the talent and ability gap between the men's game and women's game is miles apart. The USWNT struggles in scrimmages against the U17 boys team, to the point that the U17 coaches tell them to back off. Hope Solo would get eaten alive in a USL game let alone in Europe.
                            I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

• Originally posted by walrus View Post
                              I watch Womens World cup and Womens Olympic soccer, nothing else. And only when the US is playing. I know very little about soccer but enough to enjoy watching them play. I might watch US men play if I know they are on but won't go out of my way to watch like I might for the women..

For those in the know was Rapinoe hurt? She looked nothing like her world cup self. That girl thats in High school or just graduated?? She is good. Liked her energy. Alex Morgan had chances so did lloyd, US dominated but didn't finish, seen that in Hockey many times.

And Solo needs to shut her yap, she was a mere mortal in all the games I watched, nothing special at all. One good save in penalty kicks and one where she batted it away.
                              Rapinoe is my favorite player. When she's on her game she is a magician with the ball. That said, she shouldn't have been on the team. In December she tore her ACL and was nowhere near ready to play. The announcers said three times during the match that it had only been 252 days since her injury. Not sure if Arlo and Kate were impressed with her comeback or questioning why she was out there. Or both. She was on the team for purely sentimental reasons. While I applaud her effort, Jill Ellis never should have made it an option.

Comment

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
                                Rapinoe is my favorite player. When she's on her game she is a magician with the ball. That said, she shouldn't have been on the team. In December she tore her ACL and was nowhere near ready to play. The announcers said three times during the match that it had only been 252 days since her injury. Not sure if Arlo and Kate were impressed with her comeback or questioning why she was out there. Or both. She was on the team for purely sentimental reasons. While I applaud her effort, Jill Ellis never should have made it an option.
                                I was wondering why she looked off. In the world cup she was unreal, today she might have had 1 or 2 free kicks that went where she wanted them to. The team never looked like the World cup team to me, I saw all their games, they just didn't have "it"

Comment

Working...
                                X