Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Olympic Spoiler Thread - You've Been Warned.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FreshFish
    replied
    Re: Olympic Spoiler Thread - You've Been Warned.

Originally posted by hockeyplayer1015 View Post
    Another pretty routine night for Walsh-Jennings/Ross in the sand.

Can't help but shake my head at the level KWJ plays at 38. Pretty incredible.
    I saw KW-J and Ross playing in a tournament last summer, after KW-J had had surgery on her right shoulder. She was serving underhand, and using her left hand to spike, only using her right arm for blocking, passing or bump-setting. They still won.

Leave a comment:

• jericho
    replied

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
    There were years when a bunch of French Canadians played for the French ice hockey team in the Olympics. (And the one year that Great Britain actually won the hockey gold medal -- seriously, look it up -- the team in reality consisted of all Canadians.)

Last Winter Olympics, a Jewish American pairs figure skaters who never spent a day in Israel, represented Israel in the Olympics. This happens often with Jews around the world because of Israel's "birthright" citizenship laws.

The last Summer Olympics, there was a huge controversy over an American woman basketball player, with absolutely no ties to Russia (except like one grandparent who had some sort of Russian ancestry) who was playing professionally in a Russian club league, got cut from the American national team, and then Russia offered her "citizenship" if she wanted to play for Russia. She took the offer. She got lambasted by other American players who knew her from their college playing days.
    I do wonder sometimes how many athletes that win gold actually know the National Anthem of the country they represent.

Leave a comment:

• FreshFish
    replied

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
    It would be interesting to see statistics of countries who win their first medals, and first gold medals ever.

We noted Fiji getting both at the same time earlier this week, Puerto Rico got their first gold ever yesterday in tennis.

I guess when your country is one of the major over-dogs, you keep an eye on the underdog countries and it's nice to see them do well.
    swimming gold for Indonesia and for Kazakhstan. the latter has medaled in weightlifting and wrestling, I think but swimming?

Leave a comment:

• joecct
    replied

Sweden plays defense in depth again and beats Brazil in the football SF 0-0 (4-3) on penalties.

Looks like Canada will fall to Germany in the other semi final.

Leave a comment:

• First Time, Long Time
    replied

Larissa and Talita beaten by Germany. If April and Kerri win...Brazil will battle each other for bronze.

Leave a comment:

• leswp1
    replied

Gymnastics are done. Bummer. My favorite event. IMHO doing all around is one of the most well rounded exhibitions of making your body do what it can. All muscle groups, requires incredible, minute control of your body and strength. Love the T & F but that requires specialized training for a few events. Maybe Decath comes close but not really (and I am a track junkie)

Leave a comment:

• CLS
    replied

Originally posted by RENCEB View Post
    Abbey is my cousin's daughter. She showed tremendous class and courage by how she handled what happened, and to those that know her it wasn't a surprise. A very special young woman.
    A couple of writeups:

http://www.boston.com/sports/olympic...-sportsmanship

http://www.espn.com/olympics/trackan...ind-women-5000

Leave a comment:

• leswp1
    replied

Originally posted by unofan View Post
    Both runners were advanced to the final, though not sure if D'Agastino will be able to run.
    I missed that, had to go out. Hoping she can recover. The L-ATC is your friend!

Leave a comment:

• leswp1
    replied

Originally posted by RENCEB View Post
    Abbey is my cousin's daughter. She showed tremendous class and courage by how she handled what happened, and to those that know her it wasn't a surprise. A very special young woman.
    Indeed. My kid runs LD in college. She is well known as a class act and she showed it today. Heartbreaking to watch that happen.

Leave a comment:

• RENCEB
    replied

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
    D'Agastino flat tired in the 5K by the NZ gal and is barely able to run. Out of it. So sad.

Leave a comment:

• unofan
    replied
    Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
    D'Agastino flat tired in the 5K by the NZ gal and is barely able to run. Out of it. So sad.

And the TJ guys are jumping +18M. that is ridiculous!!
    Both runners were advanced to the final, though not sure if D'Agastino will be able to run.

Leave a comment:

• leswp1
    replied

And the TJ guys are jumping +18M. that is ridiculous!!

Leave a comment:

• leswp1
    replied

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
    No disrespect to all these runners setting world records, but I got to think that track is super fast.

The fact that a 400M record that many thought would last much longer was broken and the 10,000M record was not only blown away, but 14 separate national records were broken in that same race lends me to think this is one fast track.
    Track may be fast but some of these runners are just coming into maturity.

Originally posted by E.J. Smith View Post
    Guess again?
    Usain Bolt - Net Worth $60M
    Number of times he got blown up by a strong safety while earning that $60M, 0.
    Haha. I was going to post this. The dude is the next coming because he chose to stay in Jamaica rather than go somewhere else to train. He is a freak of nature.

The US is doing pretty well in LD running. Good to see.

And in other news, the Olympics have the same effect as the Frozen 4 for bringing out clueless people onto the intertubes, enraged by rules that 'aren't fair'. Woof! Did you know the officials are heartless, horrible and clearly have no understanding of the sport or the work these athletes have put in for the last 4 years because if you false start once you are out? Talk about being stuck in the everyone wins a trophy mentality.

Made me recall the when it was the tactical part of Sprint strategy to false start to screw with the opponents head and make them use energy.

Leave a comment:

• busterman62
    replied

The Russian Heavyweight boxer wins unanimous decision despite getting his arse kicked in ALL three rounds. It's good to see tradition of bribing judges still means something.

Leave a comment:

• St. Clown
    replied

Originally posted by E.J. Smith View Post
    Guess again?
    Usain Bolt - Net Worth $60M
    Number of times he got blown up by a strong safety while earning that $60M, 0.
    If his net worth is $60MM, then he's earned much more than that. Still the strong safety count remains the same.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X