Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Olympic Spoiler Thread - You've Been Warned.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Olympic Spoiler Thread - You've Been Warned.

Originally posted by walrus View Post
    My boy is in Arizona, he doesn't say good things so far. He has been in Tucson, Yuma, and in a week He'll be in Phoenix.
    Well, Yuma is hell and Phoenix is a 600-square mile strip mall, so I get that. Tucson north of Speedway is San Miguel de Allende-level beautiful. Tucson south of Speedway is Naucalpan de Juárez-level ugly.

We're going to buy in Prescott, which is quiet and pretty.
    Last edited by Kepler; 08-22-2016, 10:34 PM.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
      Well, Yuma is hell and Phoenix is a 600-square mile strip mall, so I get that. Tucson north of Speedway is San Miguel de Allende-level beautiful. Tucson south of Speedway is Naucalpan de Juárez-level ugly.

We're going to buy in Prescott, which is quiet and pretty.
      Prescott looks nice but as far as heat goes Tucson wasn't any better than Yuma when he was there. he couldn't fly during the day as the plane would over heat sitting on the tarmac during the engine run up I'd take that over January though
      I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

• Originally posted by alfablue View Post
        The medal per team size needs to be adjusted for the events that have a team. For the 22 members of a soccer team, there's only one medal available.

The US only had one team event that was not represented- men's soccer. All other teams were there- really- to capture 2 BB medals, 24 members; 24 for 2 Ruby 7, 41 for 10 rowing, 18 for one football, 16 for one field hockey, etc. Just the big field events- the US had 82 athletes all who can only get 6 medals among them all.

Then there needs adjustments for the team + individual sports- there's a team gymnastics- so one medal per 6 (or so), as well as overall, and THEN per event. Or the various relay medals.
        The US did not have men's field hockey or women's or men's handball.
        The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
        "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
        GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
        GO LAKERS!!!
        GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
        "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
        Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
          The US did not have men's field hockey or women's or men's handball.
          Thanks for the correction. But the point was there were a lot of players that collectively could get one medal. Fiji's one gold that took a lot of players should be equal to Puerto Rico's one gold from one player. So the numbers need to be normalized somehow.

It's different when you get 3 in a sport that all three can get a medal at the same time.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
            Thanks for the correction. But the point was there were a lot of players that collectively could get one medal. Fiji's one gold that took a lot of players should be equal to Puerto Rico's one gold from one player. So the numbers need to be normalized somehow.

It's different when you get 3 in a sport that all three can get a medal at the same time.
            Not to mention, some sports don't even allow you to have three in a sport. Swimming for instance, a rule that was passed for 1984 because many events were being swept by Americans. So, long before everyone gets a trophy culture, the swimming federation passed the "everyone gets a trophy" rule... It always blew my mind that the third best person in an event could be sitting at home while the fourth best person in said event wins the bronze medal.

This is all why the entire medals count is the most useless "scoreboard" in the history of sports.
            Russell Jaslow
            [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
            U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post

Sure, you stop comparing the athlete counts and start comparing team counts (or unit counts, if you want to avoid terminological confusion). In this case, an individual competitor would be a unit, and in the case of swimming or gymnastics the teams of four (last year of five-person teams for gymnastics) would also be a unit. If the team of four has different athletes for different events - as in three of the four swimmers in a medley are the same throughout all events while two different swimmers make up that fourth spot, you have two units counted.
              "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                Sure, you stop comparing the athlete counts and start comparing team counts (or unit counts, if you want to avoid terminological confusion). In this case, an individual competitor would be a unit, and in the case of swimming or gymnastics the teams of four (last year of five-person teams for gymnastics) would also be a unit. If the team of four has different athletes for different events - as in three of the four swimmers in a medley are the same throughout all events while two different swimmers make up that fourth spot, you have two units counted.
                There is actually a good google doc that has all of that data- if the news ever wants to actually do an even analysis like that. It lists each country, each sport, and the number of athletes for that sport, as well as the numbers for each medal.

Where I see it getting a little more complicated- athletes who are competing in multiple events- that wasn't pointed out. For instance, we have 47 swimmers, but those 47 are competing for a possible +80 medals (as listed).

Anyway, it's more complicated than just number of medals vs. number of the entire team.

Comment

Working...
                X