Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Olympic Spoiler Thread - You've Been Warned.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E.J. Smith
    replied
    Re: Olympic Spoiler Thread - You've Been Warned.

Originally posted by MaizeRage View Post
    Who knows, it might have paid better.
    Guess again?
    Usain Bolt - Net Worth $60M
    Number of times he got blown up by a strong safety while earning that $60M, 0.

Leave a comment:

• Russell Jaslow
    replied

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
    That was an epic race, too- they showed Bolt's reaction to the WR, and he was stunned, too.

The way Niekerk came down that last 100m was just incredible- it looked to be a real tight race, but he then just ran away from them. Awesome.
    No disrespect to all these runners setting world records, but I got to think that track is super fast.

The fact that a 400M record that many thought would last much longer was broken and the 10,000M record was not only blown away, but 14 separate national records were broken in that same race lends me to think this is one fast track.

Leave a comment:

• Russell Jaslow
    replied

Originally posted by CLS View Post
    And that was the reason for my question -- I assumed that's what happened. Can't fault an athlete for going somewhere that they'll get better facilities or better coaching. Bothers me a little if they go because they aren't good enough to make it in their home country (though I'll admit to being amused when some baseball teams -- I think it was the Greek team in the last Olympics -- was a bunch of guys from Des Moines and Peoria that had Greek grandparents). Bothers me if countries go out an recruit athletes in individual sports. And it will bother me a LOT when we start seeing the next logical step -- recruited players in team sports.
    There were years when a bunch of French Canadians played for the French ice hockey team in the Olympics. (And the one year that Great Britain actually won the hockey gold medal -- seriously, look it up -- the team in reality consisted of all Canadians.)

Last Winter Olympics, a Jewish American pairs figure skaters who never spent a day in Israel, represented Israel in the Olympics. This happens often with Jews around the world because of Israel's "birthright" citizenship laws.

The last Summer Olympics, there was a huge controversy over an American woman basketball player, with absolutely no ties to Russia (except like one grandparent who had some sort of Russian ancestry) who was playing professionally in a Russian club league, got cut from the American national team, and then Russia offered her "citizenship" if she wanted to play for Russia. She took the offer. She got lambasted by other American players who knew her from their college playing days.
    Last edited by Russell Jaslow; 08-15-2016, 09:21 AM.

Leave a comment:

• alfablue
    replied

Originally posted by joecct View Post
    BBC on the 400m. Michael Johnson doing colour

http://deadsp.in/B6NN1G8
    That was an epic race, too- they showed Bolt's reaction to the WR, and he was stunned, too.

The way Niekerk came down that last 100m was just incredible- it looked to be a real tight race, but he then just ran away from them. Awesome.

Leave a comment:

• alfablue
    replied

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
    Maintain? He's faster the second 50. Slow start tonight and he just blows the field away. He's not human.
    Yes, maintain. They generally reach peak speed at 40-50 meters and then start slowing down. Bolt doesn't slow down as much. Which does make him not human.

Leave a comment:

• trixR4kids
    replied

Originally posted by bronconick View Post
    Good thing that Bolt grew up in Jamaica. He could have grown up in Louisiana, played football and caught like 2 passes a game at LSU.
    And not remember his name at age 40.

Leave a comment:

• The Rube
    replied

Originally posted by hockeyplayer1015 View Post
    Another pretty routine night for Walsh-Jennings/Ross in the sand.

Can't help but shake my head at the level KWJ plays at 38. Pretty incredible.
    That volley with the lob-save-move.....wow. Just, wow.

Leave a comment:

• hockeyplayer1015
    replied

Another pretty routine night for Walsh-Jennings/Ross in the sand.

Can't help but shake my head at the level KWJ plays at 38. Pretty incredible.

Leave a comment:

• joecct
    replied

BBC on the 400m. Michael Johnson doing colour

http://deadsp.in/B6NN1G8

Leave a comment:

• MaizeRage
    replied

Originally posted by bronconick View Post
    Good thing that Bolt grew up in Jamaica. He could have grown up in Louisiana, played football and caught like 2 passes a game at LSU.
    Who knows, it might have paid better.

Leave a comment:

• bronconick
    replied

Leave a comment:

• CLS
    replied

Originally posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
    I looked this up. Her name is Eunice Kirwa, and according to Wikipedia, she switched countries in 2013 so she could continue to compete internationally. She became eligible to compete for Bahrain in 2014, and has been running for them ever since.

Does that answer your question?
    It does, thank you.

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
    It's actually common practice to "buy" top athletes in that part of the world. Qatar does the same thing. They just throw money at the problem.
    And that was the reason for my question -- I assumed that's what happened. Can't fault an athlete for going somewhere that they'll get better facilities or better coaching. Bothers me a little if they go because they aren't good enough to make it in their home country (though I'll admit to being amused when some baseball teams -- I think it was the Greek team in the last Olympics -- was a bunch of guys from Des Moines and Peoria that had Greek grandparents). Bothers me if countries go out an recruit athletes in individual sports. And it will bother me a LOT when we start seeing the next logical step -- recruited players in team sports.

Leave a comment:

• ScoobyDoo
    replied

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
    Yea, that Bolt guy is pretty fast.

Incredible how he can maintain that kind of speed for the second 50. Amazing.
    Maintain? He's faster the second 50. Slow start tonight and he just blows the field away. He's not human.

Leave a comment:

• The Rube
    replied

Holy crap, can that guy run the last 50. After 50, I thought Gatlin was going to win.
    I mentioned on other social media:

This other guy is winn---nevermind. Bolt wins. Even when it's close, it's really not. It's sick.

Leave a comment:

• alfablue
    replied

Holy crap, can that guy run the last 50. After 50, I thought Gatlin was going to win.
    Yea, that Bolt guy is pretty fast.

Incredible how he can maintain that kind of speed for the second 50. Amazing.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X