Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Campaign 2016 Part XVI: KICK THE BABY!

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
    Funny that a recent Time article pointed out how the web has done a great job keeping all of the hate people going. They have a place to vent and be with each other outside of the view of the public. They can get out an really abuse people like Lesley Jones- http://www.vanityfair.com/style/2016...xposes-twitter terrible.

These are Trump supporters.
    Some organizations tried to combat the nastiness of their comments sections by thinking if they required people to use their actual social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter) to post, the "relative" lack of anonymity would force more reasonable discussion. But the cat was already out of the bag by then. People became emboldened and now I think many people with views like those espoused in the average comment section of any article don't give a tinker's d am n if anyone knows who they are. Even here on USCHO news articles the comments section can quickly become ridiculous. I will comment occasionally (under the same name I use on the forum) but only early in the articles lifespan and only to post something factual or to correct an error in fact on the part of the author or a specific comment. Then I vacate the premises because even something as seemingly harmless as that can trigger ridiculous responses.

Comment

A well-written piece on the good guys' recent run of presidential election success with a stinger in the tail about how the right may not be able to one-and-done Trump.
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by WeAreNDHockey View Post
        Some organizations tried to combat the nastiness of their comments sections by thinking if they required people to use their actual social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter) to post, the "relative" lack of anonymity would force more reasonable discussion. But the cat was already out of the bag by then. People became emboldened and now I think many people with views like those espoused in the average comment section of any article don't give a tinker's d am n if anyone knows who they are. Even here on USCHO news articles the comments section can quickly become ridiculous. I will comment occasionally (under the same name I use on the forum) but only early in the articles lifespan and only to post something factual or to correct an error in fact on the part of the author or a specific comment. Then I vacate the premises because even something as seemingly harmless as that can trigger ridiculous responses.
        CNN just canceled Comments on their site, and they ran a story about how 99% of Comments come from a tiny fraction of their viewership - literally just a few dozen posters.

Maybe the thing to do would be to cap the number of replies allowed -- say, 30 a month. That would discourage people from blowing their posts on snarky one liners.

It's not a surprise -- we see the same effect on political threads here, though some sort of puck luck has so far kept the level of discourse here relatively high compared to other fora. Reading Freep or even a group I theoretically agree with like Dem Und is incredibly depressing.
        Last edited by Kepler; 08-26-2016, 01:20 PM.
        Cornell University
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Good for them. Comments are only worthwhile when they have a vibrant user base.
          Code:
          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
          Originally posted by SanTropez
          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
          Originally posted by Kepler
          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
            A well-written piece on the good guys' recent run of presidential election success with a stinger in the tail about how the right may not be able to one-and-done Trump.
            An interesting thing to consider- IF tDon rolls off a media group to bring in his supporters- and they stick with that message over normal Republicans- what's left for Republicans? It's fair to think consider that his primary voters would walk with him, especially if the path mainstream Republicans want to take is not that. Seems like we would be left with something close to 20% nationalist, 20% R's, 40% Dem's and 20% more independent. Which would be really interesting.

Comment

Are you sure it was a newspaper? Are you sure it wasn't...nothing? http://www.buzzfeed.com/andrewkaczyn...as-tree%3Futm_

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
              iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
              gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
              Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
              Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
              TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
              DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

CNN just canceled Comments on their site, and they ran a story about how 99% of Comments come from a tiny fraction of their viewership - literally just a few dozen posters.

Maybe the thing to do would be to cap the number of replies allowed -- say, 30 a month. That would discourage people from blowing their posts on snarky one liners.

It's not a surprise -- we see the same effect on political threads here, though some sort of puck luck has so far kept the level of discourse here relatively high compared to other fora. Reading Freep or even a group I theoretically agree with like Dem Und is incredibly depressing.
                CNN has more than a few dozen viewers?
                I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

538 projects Johnson will get enough votes to qualify the Libertarian Party for federal matching funds in 2020.
                  Would be great to see him in the debates THIS year. Not sure how many people will care about the libertarian party in 2020 as there will hopefully be a good new candidate to challenge whichever clown from the 2 major parties wins.

Comment

Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
                    Would be great to see him in the debates THIS year. Not sure how many people will care about the libertarian party in 2020 as there will hopefully be a good new candidate to challenge whichever clown from the 2 major parties wins.
                    There's no way he's getting into the 1st debate. Maybe if Trump implodes after the 1st and Johnson picks up 6% from the 8-9% Trump loses before the 2nd debate.
                    "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Originally posted by bronconick View Post
                      There's no way he's getting into the 1st debate. Maybe if Trump implodes after the 1st and Johnson picks up 6% from the 8-9% Trump loses before the 2nd debate.
                      He could get in if we were able to convince the networks to lower the bar to 10%. They decide, not the parties. Having Johnson on would be more entertaining and would sell more Twizzlers and Priuses (Pria?). Who is doing the debates? Maybe one of them will do it?

Edit: it looks like the debates are run by a consortium of the networks. I don't know how their rules got decided.
                      Last edited by Kepler; 08-26-2016, 03:17 PM.
                      Cornell University

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                        He could get in if we were able to convince the networks to lower the bar to 10%. They decide, not the parties. Having Johnson on would be more entertaining and would sell more Twizzlers and Priuses (Pria?). Who is doing the debates? Maybe one of them will do it?

Edit: it looks like the debates are run by a consortium of the networks. I don't know how their rules got decided.
                        The rules were set over a year ago. Plus, if they change them for Johnson, then Trump gets to whine about how it's unfair they won't change them for him.

Comment

Who throws the first chunk of mud during debate #1?
                          CCT '77 & '78
                          4 kids
                          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

• Originally posted by joecct View Post
                            Who throws the first chunk of mud during debate #1?
                            Debate 1, not going to happen. Debate 2, getting a Lewinsky comes out
                            I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

I've never seen a better laundromat.

http://pic.twitter.com/nXCry0cSb6
                              CCT '77 & '78
                              4 kids
                              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                                Debate 1, not going to happen. Debate 2, getting a Lewinsky comes out
                                Really? You think Trump's new staff is going to succeed at keeping him filtered in the first debate? Especially when he's already started to waffle on the one consistent, clear policy point he's had in the past 14 months.

Comment

Working...
                                X