Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Campaign 2016 Part XVI: KICK THE BABY!

I've heard for decades now that the private sector is always better than the public. Always. Well, after John Oliver on his show Last Week Tonight eviscerated Charter Schools. Yes, Charter Schools. The conservative communities wet dream of capitalism and education blended together in a euphoria of success and piggy bank money savings. What exactly are we to believe? I don't know anymore.

http://www.mediaite.com/online/john-...-on-any-level/

I wanted John to spend the whole large segment of his show on Charter Schools cause the information was dizzying and well done. But, he spent the last 8 minutes or so showing Trump how he could be a hero in the end.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/john-oliv...31.html?ref=gs
    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
      I've heard for decades now that the private sector is always better than the public. Always. Well, after John Oliver on his show Last Week Tonight eviscerated Charter Schools. Yes, Charter Schools. The conservative communities wet dream of capitalism and education blended together in a euphoria of success and piggy bank money savings. What exactly are we to believe? I don't know anymore.

http://www.mediaite.com/online/john-...-on-any-level/

I wanted John to spend the whole large segment of his show on Charter Schools cause the information was dizzying and well done. But, he spent the last 8 minutes or so showing Trump how he could be a hero in the end.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/john-oliv...31.html?ref=gs
      For some reason, people pretend that when money is involved, the desire is so high that the system is more likely to be optimized for whatever performance.

Yet I've rarely met anyone who's company actually performs that well- so the most obvious source of evidence is consistently ignored- who you work for.

It's quite funny that people do realize that Dilbert is funny because it rings so true, but they don't seem to realize that it's funny to everyone.

On the other hand, people pretend that when profit is not part of the equation that optimization is never possible. Even though that's not true, either.

There are some really big segments of society that have no need for making money, as the basic function should benefit us all equally- defense, schools, prisons, roads, etc. And I know a lot of people would put in basic health insurance as well. We have a good consumer based society as it is. Everything doesn't have to be pay to play.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
        This is the problem with media. They abandoned journalism long ago for ratings. It's sick and sad and terrible. Right-leaning, left-leaning, whatever. Doesn't matter. No one really reports the NEWS anymore. They are verbal and visual click-bait. It sucks.
        That's why on election night I'll be watching BBC America for my coverage. Spot on analysis without giving a hoot about being accused of bias by us jerky yanks!
        Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
          This is the problem with media. They abandoned journalism long ago for ratings. It's sick and sad and terrible. Right-leaning, left-leaning, whatever. Doesn't matter. No one really reports the NEWS anymore. They are verbal and visual click-bait. It sucks.
          It's the problem with the country. 50% of the country believes that the profit motive is all that ****ing matters.
          **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

It's the problem with the country. 50% of the country believes that the profit motive is all that ****ing matters.
            I don't know what the percentages are or how you would determine them, but I don't think much has changed in that regard. A huge number of people are just trying to get by. Are we any more profit driven than we were in the 50s? 20s? 80s?

The problem with media accountability is that there is now a 24-hour, world-wide feeding cycle, and sources are throwing crumbs and anything else that looks like food.

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
              I don't know what the percentages are or how you would determine them, but I don't think much has changed in that regard. A huge number of people are just trying to get by. Are we any more profit driven than we were in the 50s? 20s? 80s?

The problem with media accountability is that there is now a 24-hour, world-wide feeding cycle, and sources are throwing crumbs and anything else that looks like food.
              Journalistic integrity doesn't sell. It used to be you could make money off of it. Now you can't. It's gone. The ship has sailed. There's more investigative journalism in a 1/2 hour comedy piece by John Oliver than there is in the Wall Street Journal every month.

Comment

And sadly quite a few people in that 50% are not the ones making all the profit, but are instead being used by those that are. I am constantly amazed at people who routinely vote in such a way that is at odds with their economic station in life. This also anecdotally seems to be true much more often with people voting "R" than "D."

Comment

Originally posted by WeAreNDHockey View Post
                  And sadly quite a few people in that 50% are not the ones making all the profit, but are instead being used by those that are. I am constantly amazed at people who routinely vote in such a way that is at odds with their economic station in life. This also anecdotally seems to be true much more often with people voting "R" than "D."
                  What's sad is that the private and public sectors are equally good and equally bad. Pitting them against each other is folly and prevents us from creating real logical best in class solutions to the problems that ail us.

Comment

Originally posted by WeAreNDHockey View Post
                    I'm more curious as to why people are so set in their ways voting wise. So if you're living in West Virginia, and your state is mired in poverty, its perfectly reasonable to kick out the Dems and turn the govt over to the GOP. But, if after a time your state is still mired in the same level of poverty, kick out the GOP and switch back to the Dems, and keep alternating until you get someone that can make a difference. Here in liberal Mass, Dems twice put up a completely incompetent candidate - once for Senate and once for Governor. She lost twice to a Republican, meaning just putting a D next to your name doesn't guarantee you election even here. Seems putting an R next your name does get you automatically elected in the Deep South regardless of your level of stupidity (although it should be noted Louisiana bucked the trend after the horrific Bobby Jindal experiment).

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
                      I'm more curious as to why people are so set in their ways voting wise. So if you're living in West Virginia, and your state is mired in poverty, its perfectly reasonable to kick out the Dems and turn the govt over to the GOP. But, if after a time your state is still mired in the same level of poverty, kick out the GOP and switch back to the Dems, and keep alternating until you get someone that can make a difference. Here in liberal Mass, Dems twice put up a completely incompetent candidate - once for Senate and once for Governor. She lost twice to a Republican, meaning just putting a D next to your name doesn't guarantee you election even here. Seems putting an R next your name does get you automatically elected in the Deep South regardless of your level of stupidity (although it should be noted Louisiana bucked the trend after the horrific Bobby Jindal experiment).
                      Why would I give two hoots about my economic position in life when the government is killing babies, taking away my guns, and letting freaks get married?

Comment

There's more investigative journalism in a 1/2 hour comedy piece by John Oliver than there is in the Wall Street Journal every month.
                        [Citation needed]
                        Originally posted by dicaslover
                        Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

Originally posted by Kristin
                        Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Western College Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
                          First, where do these voters place their priorities, on their income or on social issues?

Second, you're asking a large subset of a mass of people to consider that they've been wrong on something. People are reluctant to admit mistakes, especially when they're strongly rooted in that mistake by way of an extended history. It generally takes something truly great to move people into an action to change behavior.

Third, it can always be some other group's/person's fault.
                          "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Ah yes. The classic paternalistic hogwash pedaled by people on the left like Rover.

The poor wretched masses. Simply too stupid and poor to even understand what's best for them. Tsk, tsk.

Really? Meanwhile, Rover, who once bragged to me that he could "buy me" ten times over due to his wealth, and Kep, who's looking for a retirement villa in the southwest at age 53, who can't wait to vote for people like Sanders or HRC who want to stick it to the one-percenters. You guys ever stop to think that maybe people vote against what might be in their best financial interests just because they think that candidate will otherwise be better for the country?
                            That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                              Ah yes. The classic paternalistic hogwash pedaled by people on the left like Rover.

The poor wretched masses. Simply too stupid and poor to even understand what's best for them. Tsk, tsk.

Really? Meanwhile, Rover, who once bragged to me that he could "buy me" ten times over due to his wealth, and Kep, who's looking for a retirement villa in the southwest at age 53, who can't wait to vote for people like Sanders or HRC who want to stick it to the one-percenters. You guys ever stop to think that maybe people vote against what might be in their best financial interests just because they think that candidate will otherwise be better for the country?

Lots of anger here. You must be a Trump supporter! Where to begin....

1) You've got to be a total idiot to think Trump would be a better President than a potted plant, let alone the super experienced, steady hand that is HRC.

2) People should be getting their advice from me, or at the very least my newsletter. However, I can't help people if they don't want to help themselves.

3) Sticking with my theme that old people, defined as the 60's to 70's crowd, are the source of most of the country's political problems I'd say that people of this age group are more easily manipulated than anybody else. Prone to conspiracy theories and seeing boogeymen around every corner, a fear based campaign works best on these idiots. The quicker their influence dwindles the better off we're all going to be.

Comment

Journalistic integrity doesn't sell. It used to be you could make money off of it.
                                You never could -- network news in the days of Uncle Walter was a loss leader. Quality news got people in the door and then they watched the other pablum and bought tires.

But that was when there were 3 networks. With 900 stations nobody can afford a loss leader -- viewers don't stay in the store past the ad break. So everything has to be immediately entertaining to the average viewer.

Public TV can still get away with real news, though even it has been debased.

The future of real news is cable niche market shows directed at smart people. So far comedy has it, but it's just a matter of time until somebody tries to do it straight. But it will never be the kind of thing the idiocracy watches. At most it will have a Bill Buckley sort of audience -- people who are already informed.

Television is finished as a raiser up of the Great Unwashed. Mencken would tell you it was always doomed to fail.
                                Last edited by Kepler; 08-22-2016, 12:33 PM.
                                Cornell University
                                National Champion 1967, 1970
                                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Working...
                                X