Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Campaign 2016 Part XVI: KICK THE BABY!

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
    The same could be said about the wackos that think we should bow to the almighty magic badge just because there are some "good cops". Maybe you should actually read the whole post and note the part about the middle ground.
    Hmm...
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
      Ya know, its not that I don't appreciate "longtime GOP staffer" this and "right wing columnist" that coming out against Trump, but when will some actual elected officials start doing so? Yeah yeah that Hanna guy did but he's retiring, so really no risk there. Time for the party to either grow a pair or admit they're in 100% agreement with Trump but wish he wouldn't express their views out loud so often.
      When was the last time this actually happened, though? When did a party actually deep six its own nominee?

I would say: never. The closest anyone has come is Pierce, and that didn't turn out well for anybody.
      Cornell University
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
        When was the last time this actually happened, though? When did a party actually deep six its own nominee?

I would say: never. The closest anyone has come is Pierce, and that didn't turn out well for anybody.
        I don't expect all of them to ditch him. I find it inexplicable that Susan Collins or John McCain hasn't expressly come out against him. If there are sooooo many sane moderates in the GOP, when are they going to step up?
        Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

I don't expect all of them to ditch him. I find it inexplicable that Susan Collins or John McCain hasn't expressly come out against him. If there are sooooo many sane moderates in the GOP, when are they going to step up?
          Moderate GOP has a fine line to walk. Come out too strong and they risk getting primaried by the far right extreme.

In Susan Collins' case, I think her silence speaks volumes.

Comment

• Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
            Well, just as there are far right republicans and moderate republicans, far left democrats and moderate democrats, there are also far (insert direction here) libertarians and moderate libertarians. I view Johnson / Weld as fairly moderate.

On a side note, I do think that if Weld were at the top of the ticket, they would easily be over their 15% by now.
            Advocating the Fair Tax and wanting to eliminate the Federal Reserve are not moderate positions.

Comment

LOL. Who cares?

I'd rather see the Democrats hang Trump over every one of their ****ing necks. This BS with Republicans has been going on too long and it's time for them to die off. Obama's little Trump is an outlier speech and Hillary's outreach needs to end. They ran an explicit campaign against the legitimacy of Obama's Presidency and the "normal" ones to sat back and let it happen. Remember, this is the same party that let Cantor get primaried.

There is no "moderate" GOP anymore. It's dead. Time to kill off the psychos once and for all. It's started to happen in Kansas. The Kansas example needs to happen everywhere.

You talk of Collins and McCain? They were complicit in the building of the psychosis. Their political careers need to die with it.
              **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
              Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Right now it's not in any Republican Member's interest to disavow Trump, unless:

1) He's retiring
                2) He's in a blue district, particularly one that is diverse
                3) His internals say he needs a Hail Mary

Remember, too, the Leadership still has to turn around after all this goes down and play another round of Russian Roulette with Teddy Cruz and the Know Nothings.

There are so many lacerations and cracks right now in the GOP they just can't stick a big ol' wedge in there and apply leverage. "Don't pull on that, you never know what it's attached to." -- Buckaroo Banzai

The GOP could blow it all up now and rebuild: repudiate Trump and the Tea Party, push all the NRSC and RCCC $$$ to their moderates, take a big hit. Come back as a leaner party without the racists and the fundies. Lose a lot of seats, and I mean a lot: 12 in the Senate, maybe 70 in the House.

There's actually some good things to be said for it as the long game. The odds are the recovery will eventually stall out and they'll be free of blame. The Dems will raise taxes on the wealthy and even if/when the economy improves they can always go back to the evergreen "lower taxes" bribe. Also: with the wealthy taking a short term bath it will remind them they need a strong GOP and can't go off dancing with the loons, and reimpose some discipline. Most importantly, it would firewall off this period of history from their image, much like the Dems kicking out the Dixiecrats did for them.

But they would take a very serious short term hit. It would take a lot of guts, and when I look at Ryan and his band I see cowards.
                Last edited by Kepler; 08-04-2016, 03:18 PM.
                Cornell University

Comment

There are moderates in every party, Scoobs. The trouble in the GOP is that the mods are drowned out by the extremists, and quite decisively.
                  Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                  Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                    There are moderates in every party, Scoobs. The trouble in the GOP is that the mods are drowned out by the extremists, and quite decisively.
                    Not based on voting patterns there's not. When I say Collins and McCain have been complicit I'm dead serious.
                    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                      LOL. Who cares?

I'd rather see the Democrats hang Trump over every one of their ****ing necks. This BS with Republicans has been going on too long and it's time for them to die off. Obama's little Trump is an outlier speech and Hillary's outreach needs to end. They ran an explicit campaign against the legitimacy of Obama's Presidency and the "normal" ones to sat back and let it happen. Remember, this is the same party that let Cantor get primaried.

There is no "moderate" GOP anymore. It's dead. Time to kill off the psychos once and for all. It's started to happen in Kansas. The Kansas example needs to happen everywhere.

You talk of Collins and McCain? They were complicit in the building of the psychosis. Their political careers need to die with it.
                      I havent said this often, so please take note:

I agree 100% with Scooby. Unless someone explicitly says "I am not with him" they should be painted with the Drumpf brush from now til election day.
                      "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                      -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                      -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                      -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

WOW.

I'm marking my calendar.

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                          I havent said this often, so please take note:

I agree 100% with Scooby. Unless someone explicitly says "I am not with him" they should be painted with the Drumpf brush from now til election day.
                          So....I don't believe Cruz explicitly said he wasn't supporting Trump. He just ignored the whole thing altogether, which to me (and many others) spoke volumes.

By the way, I also agree with Scooby, to a point, about the lack of opposition to Trump in the GOP. Just not to his extreme.

Yeah, I don't say things like that very often either.
                          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                          Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                            Normally I agree with this but the moderates could still get their voice heard if they wanted to. They dont, so either they are ******* or they arent as moderate as they think they are.
                            "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                            -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                            -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                            -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                              Normally I agree with this but the moderates could still get their voice heard if they wanted to. They dont, so either they are ******* or they arent as moderate as they think they are.
                              No, they're afraid of losing their jobs. Cantor got primaried. They could too. They're chicken****.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                                WOW.

I'm marking my calendar.
                                It is time for the Dems to draw a line in the sand and take a real stand. You cant let them flip flop on this one...if Paul Ryan wants to prove he isnt a bigot make him denounce Drumpf publicly. You are the high chip leader at the table in perfect position...for once flipping use it!
                                -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Working...
                                X