Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Campaign 2016 Part XVI: KICK THE BABY!

Originally posted by Rover View Post
    For Wall St. regulation its absurd to think Hillary won't move left on this. Simply for political calculations, its an easy win. You don't need new laws just changing existing regulations which she or her appointees can do. The biggest obstacle for the Dems isn't Hillary, its Chuck Schumer. Using existing levers she can easily work around him and keep the Elizabeth Warrens and Sandernistas happy.
    Julie Mason of all people made a great observation on her POTUS show yesterday (I like Julie, but her show is not exactly chock full of policy depth -- it's more a circle jerk for insiders she knows). If the Republicans hold the Senate, the chair of the Senate Committee on Banking, Housing, and Urban Affairs (the committee that reports out financial regulation legilsation) will be free market looney tune Mike Crapo. If the Democrats take the Senate, it will be "off with their heads" Sherrod Brown. That is a YUGE difference.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
      Inspite of the risk of getting raged at...

Epi Pens scenario are occurring because they lack free markets...not because of them. Price competition from $50 generics would not allow this to occur.

United Healthcare made $11B in income last year. Other insurance companies the same. And they don't actually deliver health care themselves. Now that's a pretty good business to be in. And they hate the Obamacare markets. Why? Because they bring competition and free markets. So Epi Pens is just doing what its allowed to do. Not sure if I would, but many people would take a big pile of money if its sitting on the table. Blame for and any solution rests with the system that's broken and a lack of free markets that allow them to get away with it rather than Epi Pens and UHG CEOs.
      All, there are two sides to this post.

The first part suggesting the market for products like the Epi Pen isn't a free market- which is correct that there is protection form generics. And then the ACA part.

Don't lose the part that for some very important medications that help people stay alive- the market isn't free. And the opinion that it should not be a major money maker vs. a nominal one given what it does is a good argument to have. Much like- should the part of the healtcare system that just, for the lack of a better term, launders your money, make a significant profit on that?

If you come up with a method to let the aging population make more and more whoope- that's one thing.

If you come up with a method to solve some serious health issues- that's another.

Whether the ACA is effective legislation isn't related to either of those discussions.

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
        Julie Mason of all people made a great observation on her POTUS show yesterday (I like Julie, but her show is not exactly chock full of policy depth -- it's more a circle jerk for insiders she knows). If the Republicans hold the Senate, the chair of the Senate Committee on Banking, Housing, and Urban Affairs (the committee that reports out financial regulation legilsation) will be Mike Crapo. If the Democrats take the Senate, it will be Sherrod Brown. That is a YUGE difference.
        On a side note- it's really odd to me to see his name. I went to HS with his niece, and his family still lives within a mile of my parents. As evil as I want to portray Republicans, just knowing who he is, and that he lives in a pretty modest house makes it hard.
        Last edited by alfablue; 08-24-2016, 09:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
          First, the ACA did not bring free markets to the healthcare industry. Quit distorting that term, it makes you look wholly ignorant when you're trying to impress people.

Second, health insurance rates are tightly governed by the states. It's a regulated market with large entry barriers established long ago. (I can't setup a St. Clown Health Insurance Co. and start selling my plans without a great deal of haggling with the state beforehand.) In many states, including MN, an insurance company has to submit to the state's commerce department - there's a group within insurance whose whole job it is to approve and monitor insurance companies' pricing strategies and force them to justify their planned rates. So all of these profits they earn, those profits you and so many others bemoan, aren't just legally permissible, they're almost granted to the companies by the states. And it's been that way for decades. The states have established healthcare oligopolies. The ACA only made side-by-side comparisons easier when price-shopping the various plans offered within that state exchanges.
          This always reminds me of Illinois car dealers who quite sometime ago started to add a line to purchase contracts called "dealer fees". It was charged that, while it may be true that dealers do incur some expenses in a transaction, this was largely a made up way to increase profits (it was) and the fees were at the very least, exorbitant.
          Dealers then (obviously acting against their own profit interests) had a bill introduced that placed a cap on fees they could legally charge in this manner at (for example) $600, even though most were charging less or none at all. But when it passed, pretty much all Dealers started charging $600 and used the very existence of the law as proof the fees weren't made up, and in fact justified and authorized by the State legislature. In other words, they sold "no more than $600" as "$600 is the necessary and proper amount" to customers based on law. Not surprisingly, in the following years neighboring states' dealer associations followed suit.
          Originally posted by WiscTJK
          I'm with Wisko and Tim.
          Originally posted by Timothy A
          Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
            On a side note- it's really odd to me to see his name. I went to HS with his niece, and his family still lives within a mile of my parents. As evil as I want to portray Republicans, just knowing who he is, and that he lives in a pretty modest house makes it hard.
            You know who else lived in a modest house...
            Cornell University
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Meanwhile the lunacy is ramping up for the stretch run.

Limbaugh said the Obama administration is trying to "convince lesbians to become farmers" through financial grants "to bust up one of the last geographically conservative regions" in the U.S.
              http://www.dailydot.com/irl/lesbian-...ver-your-town/
              **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
              Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

538 has a really good piece on polarization and the relationship between elections in a given state.
                Cornell University

Comment

First, the ACA did not bring free markets to the healthcare industry.
                  The ACA brought exchanges...which improved consumer and competitive transparency. Free markets are 'a system in which the prices for goods and services are determined by the open market and consumers'. Seems business 101 to me.

Second, health insurance rates are tightly governed by the states.
                  Wrong.

From wiki (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Insurance_law): The scope of regulation extends beyond the prudential oversight of insurance companies and their capital adequacy, and include such matters as ensuring that the policy holder is protected against bad faith claims on the insurer's part, that premiums are not unduly high (or fixed), and that contracts and policies issued meet a minimum standard. A bad faith action may constitute several possibilities; the insurer denies a claim that seems valid in the contract or policy, the insurer refuses to pay out for an unreasonable amount of time, the insurer lays the burden of proof on the insured - often in the case where the claim is unprovable. Other issues of insurance law may arise when price fixing occurs between insurers, creating an unfair competitive environment for consumers. In some states there is review of increases...

But rates and premiums are set by insurance companies. And nowhere are they set by the state. Nowhere.
                  Go Gophers!

Comment

• Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                    ...But rates and premiums are set by insurance companies. And nowhere are they set by the state. Nowhere.
                    In MD, at least, the state reviews the rate increases and says Yea or Nay.
                    CCT '77 & '78
                    4 kids
                    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                      The ACA brought exchanges...which improved consumer and competitive transparency. Free markets are 'a system in which the prices for goods and services are determined by the open market and consumers'. Seems business 101 to me.

Wrong.

From wiki (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Insurance_law): The scope of regulation extends beyond the prudential oversight of insurance companies and their capital adequacy, and include such matters as ensuring that the policy holder is protected against bad faith claims on the insurer's part, that premiums are not unduly high (or fixed), and that contracts and policies issued meet a minimum standard. A bad faith action may constitute several possibilities; the insurer denies a claim that seems valid in the contract or policy, the insurer refuses to pay out for an unreasonable amount of time, the insurer lays the burden of proof on the insured - often in the case where the claim is unprovable. Other issues of insurance law may arise when price fixing occurs between insurers, creating an unfair competitive environment for consumers. In some states there is review of increases...

But rates and premiums are set by insurance companies. And nowhere are they set by the state. Nowhere.
                      I'd further this discussion with you, but this is yet another time where you've made up your mind with only a fraction of what you think are the facts (which are not facts at all).

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                      In MD, at least, the state reviews the rate increases and says Yea or Nay.
                      The same exact thing happens in MN. If the state thinks a company is charging either too high or too low of a premium, it rejects the insurance company's proposed rates. It does this out of concern of protecting the consumer from potential gouging and from an insurer folding and leaving their customers in the lurch. All of this stuff I had to memorize for my first job out of college, when I earned my state-issued insurance licenses because I worked for (drumroll, please) an insurance company.
                      "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Worst run campaign ever
                        "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Originally posted by bronconick View Post
                          That might not be Trump's fault. My understanding is the state party is responsible for those mechanics. But if I were the national campaign coordinator I would certainly have verified something that basic.
                          Cornell University

Comment

Mylan CEO Heather Bresch told CNBC Thursday that lowering the price was not an option.
                            Mylan can go **** themselves.
                            **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                              Mylan can go **** themselves.
                              Come the revolution...
                              Cornell University

Comment

You have to admire Trump. He buried the field on immigration and then adopted their position for the general. Pure genius.

Comment

Working...
                                X